Coldplay--Love or Hate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm definitely a fan. Let's face it, they've only done 2 albums, and both have been pretty dang good. You cant say that about many bands.

:up:

they're boring, but tolerable.

but not boring as in matchbox twenty. only matchbox twenty sucks as bad as matchbox twenty. they're the creed and nickelback of slow adult contemporary.

They're a good band; not out-of-this-world fantastic but pretty damn good. A Rush of Blood... was definitely an improvement on their debut, so it's interesting to see if they can lift their game again. So far the only real spine-tingling moment from for me has been "Clocks" - what a drop-dead gorgeous song.

Theyre bland, uninteresting, boring, no energy for young lads (im 16 but hey when im in my twenties i won't slow down) plus aint never chris martin going to run about wearing shades, talk to presidents, steal boats, smoke cigars and say rude things about french presidents................... save Africa maybe, but the music dont make me feeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllll.

i think coldplay are o.k
i've got AROBTTH
clocks was overplayed too much, therefore the effect of the song has worn off me.
in terms of songwriting i think chris martin seems to be a one trick pony. i hope that he can progress beyond this.
I don't think coldplay "RAWK!!!!!" (leave that for other heavier bands) but i like to think of them as middle of the road and pleasant allthesame

I don't see how you could hate them - they're too vanilla bland to inspire that sort of passion, I would imagine.

I think they're alright. They create some really pretty and lovely melodies, sort of candy for the ears if you will. The DVD is absolutely gorgeous and beautifully shot, especially if you like black and white photography. Live, they're good, nice singalongs, etc. I enjoy both their albums, but also haven't listened to them in a long time.

I really liked them for a few months, right about the time A Rush of Blood to the Head came out, but I got sick of them awfully fast. No way in hell are they the next U2. :|

Bunbury said:
being the next U2

I cringe whenever anyone makes this analogy.

And no, not because it defiles the sanctity that is the bounty of u2... labelling a band with that moniker, or giving that expectation is nothing more than a superficial observation. Hey look! They have a similar sound. Let's scrutinize their work for the next decade, hoping they'll be good... but at the same time hope they're not that good. It's nice to have safe alternatives to listen to, and by all means Coldplay make some decent music. However, if the only reason you're listening to their material (or other bands with the same label) is because it shares semblance with some "u2opian" ideal, then clearly you're not a fan of their work. You're a scout.

:down:

I like them a lot. Parachutes is better than Rush Of Blood, although Clocks, though as someone said is/was overplayed, is a brilliant song.

The 3rd album will really be a big moment for them. Could have them forever as a middle of the road, nice and talented band, or could really make them something.

I think they're pretty good. It took me a while to come on board because I never liked "Yellow", but AROBTTH was mostly great, IMO.

It's important to remember that they only have two albums out, and if they sound kinda the same, that's the way it goes. I don't recall anyone ever talking about <i>Boy</i> and <i>October</i> having vastly different sounds.

I agree with those who say the third album is important, but it's not make or break. U2 didn't make an unqualified masterpiece until JT. You just never really know.

I respect them, but in a way, they bore me. They're good musicians and all but they're not "The Next U2." I probably just haven't grown into them yet. :huh:

I really like them, I have both of their albums. I have to be in the mood to listen to them though.

Great Band, first two releases have been brilliant, and they wouldn't have existed if u2 didnt.

Coldplay is great!

Prediction: U2 will pass their "rock mantel" on to Coldplay when they retire. It's no secret that Chris Martin has a lot of respect for U2. He is pretty much asking for the u2 mantel.

Arush of blood is a great album. All the songs are awesome. Seriously, if you don't like this album, take another listen.

I saw them live. Their show was very boring in contrast to a U2 show. Most everyone just stood around and listened. There wasn't any energy in the building. They are amazing musicians, they just don't have the ability to excite a crowd. The green lighting was cool.

Mark Freedman said:
It remains to be seen where they take it next, but I have high hopes for them.

I agree :yes: they are on the right track with their first 2 albums like U2 was at that point in their career. . .they could follow in U2's footsteps if they continue to grow.

I love Coldplay greatly. Saw them play once and love the live DVD and CD.

Most people's complaint about Coldplay is that they're too boring. Well I happen to like deep, mellow, slow-burning music so I of course love Coldplay. I like AROBTTH much better than Parachutes because it has a little more edge to it. Although I love listening to Parachutes as well. I'm anxious to see what they do on the next album which I'm sure I'll love also.

Coldplay is among my top 3 favorite bands.

I love Coldplay, their an amazing band, but I don't like when people say they are the next u2. There will never be another u2. Period. No one will have the magic for 25 years. Coldplay have modeled themselves after u2, and even though it comes through in their music, they aren't that similar. 95% of their songs have piano in them and are ballads, they are basically soft rock, one hell of a band though. u2 aren't soft rock, and Coldplay's guitarist isn't anywhere near the Edge. Their one of my favorite bands out there, but there's no "new u2". Never.

I thought it was funny when the Comic Insult Dog had that song where he said "Coldplay, you should be called cold sore, back when you were u2, I liked you so much more."

the most overrated band on the planet. its nice lala music but nothing more. i don't hate them.

When they released the Parachutes album, I loved them, specifically for "spies" and I still love that album. I wasnt very impressed with ARoBTTH, Im hoping that there new album is a little deeper lyrically, and musically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom