Coldplay is starting to DRIVE ME CRAZY!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjboog

Refugee
Ok, when I first went out and bought X&Y (the first week I think) I thought to myself "Wow this is a great CD, this is a good band!" Now I find myself yelling "WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN!! AHHHHH!!". Here is an example...

Here is a snipet of White Shadows...

"When I was a young boy, I tried to listen, and I want to feel like that, little white shadows blink and miss them, If you ever feel like something's missin', Things you never understand, Little white shadows sparkle and glisten, Part of a system, a plan".

...What the hell!?

That makes no sense whatsoever, it doesn't even follow a logical pattern...

...oh wait...there's more...

All this noise I'm waking up
All this space I'm taking up
All this sound is breaking up

Ohhhh...

Maybe you'll get what you wanted
Maybe you'll stumble upon it
Everything you ever wanted
In a permanent state

Maybe you know when you've see it
Maybe if you say it you'll mean it
And when you find it you'll keep it
In a permanent state
A permanent state

...Am I missing something? How about this...

Birds go flying at the speed of sound, to show you how it all began....

Everytime I hear Coldplay now I just want to tear out my hair, especially with his voice...it's so high...and they sounded like crap at the grammys...anyone else having the same frustration? I don't really hate Coldplay, I actually love a lot of their music, they are just DRIVING ME CRAZY :crazy:

Well, perhaps you should consider skipping White Shadows next time you put X&Y on. Maybe then you wouldn't have the desire to tear out your hair.

I still haven't warmed up to Coldplay that much and it's weird cos I love Rush Of Blood almost in it's entirety! But Parachutes kinda bores me. :huh: As for X&Y... I do love the demo version of Talk very much but I don't really like the album version or the other big hit, Fix You too much. Then again, I love Gravity and Sleeping Sun! It's like a love-hate thing. :huh: :wink:

:eyebrow:

Chris Martin was shooting for 'universal' and somehow overcalculated, putting his dribble into the realm of 'retarded'.

Holy crap. :( :sad: :( :sad:

I wish that thread about Coldplay threads was still stickied...

indra said:
Why do you have to know what it means? :shrug:

Exactly! There are many songs I just listen to because I like the music. This is especially true if it's in a totally different language that I don't know.

For example... Björk's Isobel from her album Post, despite being in English has some really inscrutable lyrics! I still love that song!

indra said:
Why do you have to know what it means? :shrug:
Well, there's the good type of ambiguous lyrics, like a song that could refer to many things, and there's Coldplay's lyrics, which border on preschool (not in the good, innocent, David Bowie Kooks or Five Years way).

You cut me down a tree
And brought it back to me
And that's what made me see
Where I was going wrong

And high up above or down below
When you're too in love to let it go
But if you never try you'll never know
Just what your worth

Dribble. Lyrical equivilant of baby food.

Canadiens1160 said:
Well, there's the good type of ambiguous lyrics, like a song that could refer to many things, and there's Coldplay's lyrics, which border on preschool (not in the good, innocent, David Bowie Kooks or Five Years way).

You cut me down a tree
And brought it back to me
And that's what made me see
Where I was going wrong

And high up above or down below
When you're too in love to let it go
But if you never try you'll never know
Just what your worth

Dribble. Lyrical equivilant of baby food.

Then either don't listen to the band at all or tune out the lyrics and listen to the music only. It's not that hard.

Lyrics are definitely Coldplay's weakest point. They do have some good lyrics, but some are simply awful, and I'd say in general they're less than average. but hey, maybe they'll improve :shrug:

I have a love-hate relationship with Coldplay... I actually love most of their music, but I still feel inclined to insult them all the time! I think it's a U2 fan guilt thing...plus, their lyrics really are bad. :wink:

Wow, what a coincidence that this thread happened to me! Coldplay are also driving me crazy... CRAZY WITH LOVE FOR THIS MIGHTY BAND!!! Their inspirational music truly comes close (not too close, but fairly close) to trumping U2's World Shattering HTDAAB for me. Which is to say, that on an average day, it's a hard decision as to which of these two CDS will form my 'soundtrack for living' for the remainder of that day, in my corporate cubible office... I just love to tell my fellow associate employee contemporaries about the awesomeness of these two bands, or one band... wait, which is which? I forget. I mean, they're just bleeding (the colours) into one big thing, big hope world thing guys.... its all one thing... we're all the same guys... all the same... all the same...

AtomicBono said:
Lyrics are definitely Coldplay's weakest point. They do have some good lyrics, but some are simply awful, and I'd say in general they're less than average. but hey, maybe they'll improve :shrug:

I have a love-hate relationship with Coldplay... I actually love most of their music, but I still feel inclined to insult them all the time! I think it's a U2 fan guilt thing...plus, their lyrics really are bad. :wink:

I agree wholeheartedly:up:

I actually burnt my english teacher a coldplay cd, and as a surprise a U2 cd.

He only listens to the U2 cd.

Kieran McConville said:
....... Their inspirational music truly comes close (not too close, but fairly close) to trumping U2's World Shattering HTDAAB for me. Which is to say, that on an average day, it's a hard decision as to which of these two CDS will form my 'soundtrack for living' for the remainder of that day, in my corporate cubible office......

Cubicle music = Sucking vortex of death

Run Kieran! :eeklaugh:

cjboog said:
I really like the music, just not the lyrics. It's the same with all of their songs though, not just white shadows.

I think X&Y is all about broken things and trying to fix them :lol:

With U2 for me, I tend to usually enjoy many of the non released tracks (the non-singles)

I'm no Coldplay fan, I did like a few of their "old" songs, and brought X&Y. (Now I just Put it in the CD player and skip to track 5)
(back on topic)

With Coldplay, I tend to only listen to the released songs (X&Y i'm talking about) So I find myself only using the CD for 3 songs...as compared with U2 (I dont know if its just because I am a U2 fan) but eventually, (Achtung Baby, Pop, JT all eventually grew on me) HTDAAB I feel over instantly, loved every track (and still do)

X&Y just wont grow on me.

I liked Parachutes and A Rush Of Blood To The Head is one of my favorite albums. But I just can't get into X&Y for some reason. I tried listening to it again recently, and I still thought it sucked. :shrug:

To me X&Y is there best album. A Rush of Blood to the Head and Parachutes are good but not as good as X&Y. I agree with you CJ, there lyrics are starting to drive me crazy because they make absolutley no sense.:yell: :yell:

Back
Top Bottom