Coldplay in the year 2007 (the serious one)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POP-ROMANCER

War Child
After a laugh from the thread irishdawg started now it's time to discuss how coldplay will develop themselves. Chris Martin said that their 1st period is over.
This is an article from dotmusic I read yesterday.

Coldplay: The future?
(Thursday October 13, 2005 01:56 PM)

Coldplay have revealed their current album "X&Y" marks the end of the first phase of their career.

Singer Chris Martin told Xfm that the band have been working on new material whilst on tour, and plan to move away from their current sound.

Martin explained: "We're always working on new material. We've got no laurels to rest on. We're still looking for our laurels in my opinion.

"We've everything to prove and we've finished phase one of Coldplay and now we're going to enter phase two, which could be the Abba phase or it could be the transvestite phase. Who knows? But it'll definitely be good."

Guitarist Jonny Buckland added: "We want to do something different. We don't want to keep doing the same thing all the time."

Martin also revealed that that the new songs the band have written are more stripped-down than the material on their first three albums.

"It's not a reaction against anything as much as an evolvement," he explained. "But the new record's going to blow your socks off. Or tights, depending on what you're wearing."

So, we can expect a new sound from coldplay.

see when Radiohead say things like this, they actually live up their statements.

Didn't they even get pretty far into recording a 'new direction' album before they scrapped it and did X and Y instead? I remember reading something along these lines but I don't have a source. I remember thinking at the time they'd be like Radiohead and start doing some experimentation (like OK Computer after The Bends and Pablo Honey) but they just played it safe.

It will be really interesting to see if they follow through on this promise and don't just come out with an acoustic version of X and Y / A Rush of Blood to the Head.

Coldplay have revealed their current album "X&Y" marks the end of the first phase of their career.

I see they've decided to work in trilogies too!

I think it's hard for them to change their sound because it's so typical coldplay. And martin's voice is just 'made' for that sound. Well, it's cool that they say they do not want to do the same thing over and over again and I think when their 4th album will be the same sound like the other three people get bored. So hopefully a new sound!

Chris Martin has a decent voice when he doesn't use an oddly placed falsetto

the last 20 seconds of Fix You are actually really good, because his voice doesn't ruin it for me

this was from the august issue of rolling stone, which featured coldplay:

""I think we're climbing into the top ten," says Martin. "the next record will hopefully validate us a bit more. We've taken the piano ballad and the falsetto asf ar as it can go, and that's very freeing for us. Now we can try some different things." Coldplay have the talent, and they have the ambition. "That's what we have to remember: We're only on our third record," says martin, "Pokemon was huge for a while, but that hasn't really lasted. At this point, I feel like we're the new wazzzzup!""

hahaha, a pokemon reference.

ps- Coldplay will be on Conan in December, around the time of the release of their next single, Talk. i don't think they're dedicating the whole show to Coldplay like they did U2, obviously. hah. maybe in another 20 years?.....

Last edited:
POP-ROMANCER said:

Martin also revealed that that the new songs the band have written are more stripped-down than the material on their first three albums.

So, we can expect a new sound from coldplay.

Stripped down???!!!
Strip down one guitar, a piano, a bass, and drums? Coldplays music has no layers??? This will be interesting

I can't see Coldplay doing something in the vein of Achtung Baby or POP. They will forever be the same Coldplay, and that's great for their fans, but not for me.

POP-ROMANCER said:
Guitarist Jonny Buckland added: "We don't want to keep doing the same thing all the time."

Does whoever got this comment out of him also turn water into wine...?

I'm hoping for the transvestite phase.... :yes:

...although the ABBA matching jumpsuits would be pretty irresitable too... :hmm:

hahahah, I could see them doing a transvestite video like One

ohhhh man, good times good times

they said the same shit before their last album.

and "a more stripped down sound" should never be good news to anyone.

Am I the only one who thinks that X&Y sounded like all their previous stuff too?

Maybe I'm getting older, but none of their music sounds all that original. Solid, perhaps. But never original.

Melon

great signature, meloncakes. :sexywink:

as for their style, yeah obviously they've got that down pat. their experts in their respective field of ballads and slow-motion safe rock.

but how many times can any real artist paint the same picture before they lose whatever credibility they might have had in the first place?

Back
Top Bottom