Coldplay --> In my humble opinion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel

Elvis' Naughty Angel
... will be around for a very long time.

I know that a lot of you out there fail to see what all the 'hype' is with this relatively new band from England. After the success of "Parachtues" many believed this band had had it's time... a follow up album could not match nor even dream of surpassing the brilliance of "Parachutes"... well, I disagree. There are very few bands in the world who's music really gets to me like U2's music does, but I have to say that Coldplay has achieved this... they touch my soul in a way I thought only U2 could. I get the same tingles when I hear them on the radio, the same excitement when they announce upcoming tour dates, the same giddiness when I see them on TV.
There is something about their music that is really unique. I know they have been accused of ripping other British artists' styles with the likes of Radiohead and Travis... I personally fail to see any resemblence between the three bands.

Coldplay will be around for a very long time. Yes, I am saying it again. With the release of their upcoming album "A Rush Of Blood To The Head", they will prove to the world that "Parachutes" was not a fluke. I have heard quite a few tracks already from the new album and I am simply blown away. I admit I had some skepticisms of my own regarding whether or not it would live up to the hype... but I have all the confidence in the world that it will. "In My Place", released as their first single, was a brilliant move. It's one of those songs that get better with each listen.

:silent: I lost a co-workers friendship over this band... but in the end, it made me see that the friendship in question was not all that real in the first place. No matter, I will be seeing Coldplay in Seattle at The Paramount on the 4th of September & I will be celebrating! :D

Anyway... I just wanted to share my opinions regarding this great band, and open up a discussion for those who agree... There is a lot of Coldplay love out there, so let's share people.

*Sweet justice... "In My Place" just came on the radio.....

Last edited:
I loved Coldplay the 1st time they came here & & im saying it for the 1000000th time I MET THEM AND PARTIED WITH THEM :drool: :yes: :D

My sister informs me they r the next U2 according to some tv man and asks do i agree- i say they are great but no U2!!!! :yes: :D

I have the entire album, I don't know, I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but it's not by any means a "great" record, it's a solid 2nd album for them, but I'm not even sure it's as good as Parachutes, I like Coldplay but I think they are woefully over-rated

I :heart: Coldplay. Shiver and Everything's Not Lost destroy me.

I really do hope they are around for a long time. But by Chris Martin's recent interviews, their future seems to be a bit of a question mark lately. :(

I would love to see the live - but unfortunately, they aren't coming to Florida this time around. :(

The Wanderer said:
I have the entire album, I don't know, I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but it's not by any means a "great" record, it's a solid 2nd album for them, but I'm not even sure it's as good as Parachutes, I like Coldplay but I think they are woefully over-rated

Hrmmm...Maybe this album is their October... ;)

I :heart: Coldplay!! :yes:

The Wanderer said:
I like Coldplay but I think they are woefully over-rated

yes, well... i had you in mind when i wrote this thread. :tsk:

Carrie--> What do you mean about their future? What has Chris alluded to? :crack: (You're freaking me out).

Angel said:

yes, well... i had you in mind when i wrote this thread. :tsk:

Carrie--> What do you mean about their future? What has Chris alluded to? :crack: (You're freaking me out).

:lol: You used the crackball!! ;) ( :heart: the Doodle)

Lately, Chris has alluded to this last album quite possibly being their last bc it was a very hard album to make, and very difficult on the band. The band evidently is having alot of problems getting along with each other, etc.. This might be the reason for the short tour. :shrug:
I dunno.. :(

I love Coldplay though.. and I truly hope they can work it out.

That sucks Carrie. Hopefully they'll last though. I have seen them twice already and they are soooo good. I don't care if others think they aren't 'unique' enough, but their music moves me and that's not easy to do. :tongue:

btw--> the crack smilie is my favourite. :crack: :crack: :crack: hee hee

I thought yellow was a good song, and I had not heard anything else.
then last week I saw them in concert on tv. I thought it was good.
my one problem:
whether it's on purpose or not, I cannot get past the radiohead similarities. he looks like thom, sounds a little like him, and the piano......
I mean, their tunes are good, but I kept sitting there thinking "they're writing tunes and giving them some twists and turns just like radiohead would".
I don't need another radiohead, I like the one I got.:lemon:

nobody can listen to Parachutes and say that it is not a great album.

I was listening to it the other day and I was just drawn into the music again. I'd forgotten how amazing it really was.

they are, if anything, under-rated

Basstrap said:

they are, if anything, under-rated

Basstrap knows what he's talking about!!! :D and sula... I would never harm you!! Doves are cool, but Coldplay has my heart.

Basstrap said:
nobody can listen to Parachutes and say that it is not a great album.

I don't think it's a great album. I really only liked the first song, too bad it was only 2:13mins long.

I think they have something, whether they find it or not...is up to them.

judging by the single from their new album they will have a hard time to progress their sound
so I don't know whether they'll be around for a long time

but hey, things can change

Somewhere, way way back, deep in Interference archive land is a thread i wrote about my first encounter with Coldplay. But I'll tell u the story again Angel.
Saturday morning early, some time ago.I had set the VCR in readiness to collect , sorry I can't recal exactly which one, one of the new U2 songs from ATCLYB.RAGGGEEE!!:) so excited It was going to be my first viewing of it.
You guys had me informed too early for Oz.The u2 song, I think maybe "BD" didn't appear that weekend here. But I did write a thread about another song I heard that morning, with a beautiful film clip. I was very moved. it was so simple, a walk on the beach at dawn, the lovely young man reminded me of my nephew who lives in London and doesn't want to come home, and the singer had the most beautiful voice. I loved the song. I came on line and asked if any of you guys knew who it was, as I 'd missed the name of the band and song title. I said, I guess it's called yellow, because he kept singing that....

so yes I agree:heart: :angel:
and his duet with bono on "What's Going On" so sweet.
heck I'm going to listen to that now:bono: :love:

I don't own coldplay's album, but I wish them well on their musical journey.
September 4th, not long now. Have a wonderful time.

just giving my opinion, as someone who has listened to the new album a few times, it sounds like more of the same, so you guys should be pleased I guess, I'm just bored with them at this point, I listen to them occasionally, but I'd much rather listen to some of their peers like the Doves, Elbow and Electric Soft Parade, who I feel are far superior bands

The Wanderer said:
I'm just bored with them at this point, I listen to them occasionally, but I'd much rather listen to some of their peers like the Doves, Elbow and Electric Soft Parade, who I feel are far superior bands

I think that all these bands are a little derivative, but Coldplay's 'sound' isn't really distinctive beyond what Chris Martin's vocals bring to each song. The arrangements all lend themselves to being played live (electric/acoustic guitar, bass drums, not much more), which is good, but also means that the originality is not quite there. Still I'm looking forward to hearing the new album, plus the cover art is cool as!

nobody really sees the radiohead thing?
hmmm....

every band has their strong influences

Coldplay has a distinct sound from Radiohead even though they are derived from that genre.

Are we gonna not listen to radiohead just because they have obvious pink floyd influences?

Basstrap said:
every band has their strong influences

Coldplay has a distinct sound from Radiohead even though they are derived from that genre.

Are we gonna not listen to radiohead just because they have obvious pink floyd influences?

oh I know....I was just wondering why no one else had mentioned it.
actually, I only hear the influence from the bends maybe anyway.

yeah, and it's a very big influence...

as for Pink Floyd and Radiohead, I've been hearing that mentioned over the years, but I just don't see it, if you mean in attitude and the atmosphere of their music, I'd agree, but their music sounds nothing alike

The Wanderer said:
yeah, and it's a very big influence...

as for Pink Floyd and Radiohead, I've been hearing that mentioned over the years, but I just don't see it, if you mean in attitude and the atmosphere of their music, I'd agree, but their music sounds nothing alike

I know why people make that connection:

listen to "comfortably numb" and then "exit music" back to back.

Just the general song structures
they are very reminisent of PF

The Wanderer said:
yeah, what exactly about them? if that's the best anyone can do, that's quite a stretch at best

sing exit music over the verse to comf. numb. nearly the same.
anyway b minor is an unusual key.
I don't know why the hell else people say it. just my guess.
but:
they both have that trippy, depressing, minor key, "let's smoke up" kind of thing.
whatever dude.:banghead: :dance:

Back
Top Bottom