Coldplay copying U2?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myfavu2

The Fly
Just wondering if anyone else has seen the new Coldplay video for Speed of Sound.. and seen the comparison between the video and the Vertigo tour lights? I mean, the quiet(er) start, the building momentum, and then the walls of lights turn on with a flash as the song picks up! Well, basically the lights in the background.. urg.
I guess its also Coldplay's claims that they will be the greatest band of the century and the "new U2" that irks me... I like Coldplay, but competing with U2?! Seriously... theres no way. And their new record is not comparable to JT. Heck no way.

So, what are your thoughts?

myfavu2 said:
And their new record is not comparable to JT.

You mean to say that you aren't LOVIN' IT??!!

:happy:

Hey folks. It's me again. I'm here to discuss my latest act of extremely clever PUNditry, located just above your head. Yes, you've got it! Well done. Now, rest your hand as I'm sure it is tired from covering your mouth's state of AWE. As a required service to this thread, I am obliged to expand upon my joke, so that everyone can better understand the life and living of laughter.

You see, this band called Coldplay (a name taken straight from the texts of Kama Sutra) made a video that resembled another fetish band's showmanship style (skip with the encore, get to the enMORE!). In this thread (yes, right there below you), myfavu2 criticized Coldplay's crass, craftless, cowardly act of copying City of Blinding Lights, and then went on to suggest that these fine young criminals were overrated.

Brace yourself firmly. This is where the funny bone walks in the door and has intimate relations with your sense of humour.

Ah yes, THE moment came when myfavu2 registered the fatal blow to Coldplay (also known as the Icelandic Wheelbarrow, re: Kama Sutra) with regards to their lack of greatness in the shadow of The Joshua Tree... an album by a folk group from Paraguay known as U2 (The Subway Jared, re: Kama Sutra).

And here was the fated hour where my wits capitalized hardcore magnifiSENSE. The phrase JT was substituted in myfavu2's post, which left the (back) door open for the punultimate... that's right: Justin Timberlake. You see, LOVIN' IT is a catchy (disease) tune that JT wrote especially for McDonald's (although I hear he prefers The Subway Jared).

:shh:

LOVIN' IT made the joke folks. Look again (forever). I wrote it in all-caps several times. It's meaning became another playful retort/observation in this thread that enriched your lives in ways few other things can (re: The Icelandic Wheelbarrow).

SO.

Are you LOVIN' IT!!!

I hope we can discuss jokes again some time. Unless, that is, folks decide not to post arbitrary threads anymore.

cujo said:

You mean to say that you aren't LOVIN' IT??!!

:happy:

Hey folks. It's me again. I'm here to discuss my latest act of extremely clever PUNditry, located just above your head. Yes, you've got it! Well done. Now, rest your hand as I'm sure it is tired from covering your mouth's state of AWE. As a required service to this thread, I am obliged to expand upon my joke, so that everyone can better understand the life and living of laughter.

You see, this band called Coldplay (a name taken straight from the texts of Kama Sutra) made a video that resembled another fetish band's showmanship style (skip with the encore, get to the enMORE!). In this thread (yes, right there below you), myfavu2 criticized Coldplay's crass, craftless, cowardly act of copying City of Blinding Lights, and then went on to suggest that these fine young criminals were overrated.

Brace yourself firmly. This is where the funny bone walks in the door and has intimate relations with your sense of humour.

Ah yes, THE moment came when myfavu2 registered the fatal blow to Coldplay (also known as the Icelandic Wheelbarrow, re: Kama Sutra) with regards to their lack of greatness in the shadow of The Joshua Tree... an album by a folk group from Paraguay known as U2 (The Subway Jared, re: Kama Sutra).

And here was the fated hour where my wits capitalized hardcore magnifiSENSE. The phrase JT was substituted in myfavu2's post, which left the (back) door open for the punultimate... that's right: Justin Timberlake. You see, LOVIN' IT is a catchy (disease) tune that JT wrote especially for McDonald's (although I hear he prefers The Subway Jared).

:shh:

LOVIN' IT made the joke folks. Look again (forever). I wrote it in all-caps several times. It's meaning became another playful retort/observation in this thread that enriched your lives in ways few other things can (re: The Icelandic Wheelbarrow).

SO.

Are you LOVIN' IT!!!

I hope we can discuss jokes again some time. Unless, that is, folks decide not to post arbitrary threads anymore.

:ohmy:

Yeah, Coldplay sucks. Everything they do is copied right after U2. Chris Martin is a wank. Every single one of their songs sounds the same. Seriously have you heard Sparks and Twisted Logic? They sound EXACTLY THE SAME. So does A Whisper and We Never Change.

They suck.

Dunno about the lighting design (or, frankly care), but to me the most recent coldplay music sounds like some A&R guy heard the last U2 album and said 'hey, you know what we should do? We should get some session musicians in who can sound like that record, and find a 'sensitive' singer to put out front. Yeah!'

myfavu2 said:
Just wondering if anyone else has seen the new Coldplay video for Speed of Sound.. and seen the comparison between the video and the Vertigo tour lights? I mean, the quiet(er) start, the building momentum, and then the walls of lights turn on with a flash as the song picks up! Well, basically the lights in the background.. urg.
I guess its also Coldplay's claims that they will be the greatest band of the century and the "new U2" that irks me... I like Coldplay, but competing with U2?! Seriously... theres no way. And their new record is not comparable to JT. Heck no way.

So, what are your thoughts?

Aaahahahahahaha!!!! :lol:

Well you learn something new even in the most redundant of Coldplay threads. I had no idea Justin Timberlake came up with the McDonalds, "I'm lovin it" campaing, I just thought that y'know, Ronald or whoever came up with that one.

Of course, the only reason I bought X&Y was so that I could dis it here. I secretly love it though, I mean how can one ever grow tired of hearing 11 o'clock tick-tock in a brand new package. I will make a very public diplay of my purchase of the next Radiohead album though just to maintain my pathetic hipster street cred. I wonder if anyone will notice if I slip in a JT cd with it.

We used to be Coldplay fans up until we saw Chris being a BIG jerk to our friend (who also WAS a fan) Chris didn't give a shit. It just sucks to see one of your fave singers be like that right in front of you.

I mean he was decent to me. he shook my hand at least.

However, Guy B. (the bass player) is one of the coolest and sweetest guys! (no pun intended) I got a kiss from him. lol:)

Anyway I'm done with them, mostly because of how Chris acted and everytime I listen to their music, unfortunately that's all I think about.

Oh and they will NEVER be as BIG as U2!! (Not if Chris continues to act like that) :mac: hehehe

im not defending chris, i could care less about him

but you never know if someone is having a bad day or how it is when crowds of people want your attention all day and night. i think we in general have high expectations of celebrities and always expect them to be nice/funny/attentive etc to their fans or always be in a a good mood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom