coldplay-biggest rock band in the world?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2 addict

Acrobat
I was watching CNN (the music room) the other day and they were rounding out the best acts of 2003, & at the end the host said "and finally , the band that is taking over the mantle of the greatest rock band of the world from U2-- coldplay!"
I was totally stunned for a minute , & now when I think of it, it seems to me that while they are a great band, they still have a long way to go to even come close to U2, & the statement felt very rash & premature .

Maybe I am totally overreacting here, but thats how I am when it comes to U2. Is anyone with me?please post your thoughts on coldplay & the coldplay /U2 competition here.

Maybe they have the potential to become recognized as the greatest band in the world... but yeah, it's a little premature to say that now.

They are big, and arguably great, but i think they still have growing to do... Maybe one day... :hmm:

What I love is when I hear bands like the White Stripes refered to as the greatest rock and roll band in the world. Or the Strokes. When did rock go and suck? Must have had something to do with Axl Rose I suppose.

Help. Help. I live in Nashville.

what does this have to do with AXL rose plese tell me?

a friend of mine was listening to a cold play song and thought it was a u2 song,, so what can i say.

Don't believe the hype *hint*
Coldplay is good band, I'm a fan but they are faaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr from being the biggest band in the world that just isn't happening.
Don't pay attention to CNN when it comes to music that isn't their strong point :wink:

Coldplay doesn't come close to U2. I mean, they've opened for U2 in the last couple of years, so what does that tell you?

A band can't release just two albums and be the biggest rock band. U2's had the seriously build a massive reputation. Coldplay could never sell albums and tour tickets like U2 can.

U2's about as big as big can be.

I saw that too, and I didn't agree. Sure they're currently on top of the world with the popularity and mainstream appeal, but they're not up there in the greatness department - they only made 2 albums so far and Chris Martin is nowhere near Bono in the vocal or charisma area, nor do they have the stream of powerful songs U2 has.
I like their music and they've got potential but as long as U2 or REM or Radiohead can do music no one will come close to them IMO.

U2girl said:
I saw that too, and I didn't agree. Sure they're currently on top of the world with the popularity and mainstream appeal, but they're not up there in the greatness department - they only made 2 albums so far and Chris Martin is nowhere near Bono in the vocal or charisma area, nor do they have the stream of powerful songs U2 has.
I like their music and they've got potential but as long as U2 or REM or Radiohead can do music no one will come close to them IMO.

I couldn't say it better. How can U2 be compared with Coldplay.:wave:

well if coldplay had released 10 succesfull albums...
complete 2 successful huge stadium tours (ok some people thing popmart was a bit of a lemon :wink: )
ok so maybe they wont sell out stadium tours...but a few successful albums other than just 2 is what they need.......U2 will always be the best band in the world to me...and thats all that matters

Coldplay was maybe the biggest thing in 2003 but I am sure U2 will be submitting their re=application for the biggest band in the world job and getting rehired with a raise and fiull benefits.

Bono likes Chris Martin and his make trade fair stuff so its all good.

tiara said it best...

a band/artist can release just ONE album and be the biggest band/artist in the world... at that particular time. when u2 was in elevation mode, they were the biggest band in the world... at that time. but as long as there's a little band out there known as the rolling stones, even u2 takes a second fiddle. i think that's what cnn was saying... coldplay are the biggest band in the world... at this particular time. are they anywhere close to u2 or the stones or the who on the all time list? hell no... but right here and now, they're what's happening

whatshappeningrerun.jpg

Last edited:
Hey u2 addict, don't sweat it. This thread will fit in this forum just fine. You did good. Welcome to the forums!

If Coldplay play their cards right, they could reach Biggest Band status in a few years. It's a little more difficult now to appeal to such a mass audience that U2 appealed to in the 80s, because of so much difference in musical preference now days. I just hope that Chris Martin's marriage to Gweneth (sp?) won't cause him to either a: be drawn away from Coldplay, or b: write a bunch of sappy love songs. I will think nothing less of him if he chooses his marriage over his band, but it'd be a real shame. Every man has his priorities.

Bono happens to be married to THE MOST UNDERSTANDING WOMAN IN THE WORLD. Most women wouldn't stand for what Ali goes through. But she knows that without her, Bono is nothing. His situation is different. Not all marriages can handle the stress of being world famous rock stars. Coldplay's future rests on how well they keep it together.

First, welcome to the forum U2 Addict! :wave:

Second, I think the source of the comment says it all. The regular CNN is so full of stupid, quirky stories and things that aren't real news that I can't even stand to watch their channel. So for them to say Coldplay is the biggest band in the world does not surprise me. And like others have said, music is not their specialty.

As for a real comparison of U2 and Coldplay, I agree that Coldplay needs to show some longevity before they can be crowned the new heavyweight champs of rock n roll. I love them dearly, but I wouldn't put them in the same category as U2 or Radiohead (or some other legendary bands)...at least not yet.

cmb737 said:
Help. Help. I live in Nashville.
i know what you mean; i live in memphis. :wave:

i do think it's really premature to call coldplay the biggest band in the world, but then again i don't really think any band is the biggest in the world. but if i had to name one, it'd be a band with longevity who's proven themselves time and time again over the years, some band like U2, the beatles, or the rolling stones.

I think it would be fair to call Coldplay the biggest band of 2003 (it's not like they have a whole lot of competion - just look at how rap and R&B have dominated charts and radio play this year), but biggest band in the world, period??? Last time I checked, U2 hadn't retired - they just didn't do much this year because they are recording a new album.

All the Coldplay/U2 comparisons really irritate me. Just because they sold lots of records, got a few Grammys and some of their songs vaguely resemble U2's mellower stuff doesn't mean a thing. I can't even picture Coldplay doing anything resembling the intensity of Bullet the Blue Sky or Sunday Bloody Sunday or Exit. C'mon, just try to imagine Chris Martin howling like Bono does sometimes!

Last edited:
i don't think Coldplay is the biggest band in the world, but i don't think U2 is either. i would give the nod to either Radiohead or Pearl Jam.

first- thank you all for the warm welcome!
secondly- I agree that only bands who have consistently proven themselves over a period of time should be conferred titles like "greatest ","biggest",etc.
Thom yorke said this in an interview with Time before "hail to the thief "was released-"no matter how hard you try , after a while you end up being lifestyle music,& coldplay is a perfect example of that".
I totally agree, bands like coldplay , creed can just get stuck in a rut and can end up regurgitating the same stuff over & over.Very few bands (U2, radiohead) have escaped this fate.
also, like TiaraGurl said, U2will be submitting their re-app for the biggest band job,so , whenever I hear stuff like this, I just smile & think"go ahead, make hay while the sun shines, coz in a few months U2 will release anther stunning album & everyone is going to be obliterated by the shock wave"
:drool:

mikal said:
i don't think Coldplay is the biggest band in the world, but i don't think U2 is either. i would give the nod to either Radiohead or Pearl Jam.

Um... doesn't "biggest" usually refer to big-time popularity and sales (which neither of these bands has if you look at cold hard chart figures)?

Coldplay are talented and promising, but ain't heavyweights just yet (and maybe the times of world-wide rock heavyweights is over anyway like many suggest).

Pearl Jam? Give me a break but they haven't been 'big' in many years! They have become sort of a cult classic band that caters to a specific following and not much of their stuff is even famous anymore. Just because you like them doesn't make them the 'biggest band in the world' :eyebrow: Radiohead also may be very popular among posters here but has very limited appeal which stops them from being all that 'big.' Coldplay wasn't THAT big this year, and was bigger in Europe than in the US. U2 is the only band mentioned that is truly a 'big' band, though they were inactive this year. According to stats and sales, 50 cent was the 'biggest' act of the year. I don't agree with that, but we can't just list people we like without anything other than our love and opinion to back it up.

Sorry to have to burst your bubble but right now Coldplay are the best band on the planet.

I agree maybe when U2 put out their next album they will take it over

I never saw what's so good about Coldplay, they are a bland and boring kind of band. I'm not a bit impressed. I see no evidence they are anything other than another snoozworthy matchbox 20. I don't see any great accolades for them either. Poo is right. They are not rock! They sound like adult contemporary!

Last edited:
there is no comparison...picture the energy that comes off U2..compare with c.p...???

The_acrobat said:
Hey u2 addict, don't sweat it. This thread will fit in this forum just fine. You did good. Welcome to the forums!

Bono happens to be married to THE MOST UNDERSTANDING WOMAN IN THE WORLD. Most women wouldn't stand for what Ali goes through. But she knows that without her, Bono is nothing. His situation is different. Not all marriages can handle the stress of being world famous rock stars. Coldplay's future rests on how well they keep it together.
:yes:
Ali:heart:

U2

coldplay

Back
Top Bottom