coldplay-biggest rock band in the world?!? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2003, 12:41 AM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:58 PM
coldplay-biggest rock band in the world?!?

I was watching CNN (the music room) the other day and they were rounding out the best acts of 2003, & at the end the host said "and finally , the band that is taking over the mantle of the greatest rock band of the world from U2-- coldplay!"
I was totally stunned for a minute , & now when I think of it, it seems to me that while they are a great band, they still have a long way to go to even come close to U2, & the statement felt very rash & premature .

Maybe I am totally overreacting here, but thats how I am when it comes to U2. Is anyone with me?please post your thoughts on coldplay & the coldplay /U2 competition here.

Old 12-31-2003, 12:45 AM   #2
Acrobat

oops! I posted in the wrong thread( I have a lot to learn)

Old 12-31-2003, 12:52 AM   #3
Refugee

Maybe they have the potential to become recognized as the greatest band in the world... but yeah, it's a little premature to say that now.

They are big, and arguably great, but i think they still have growing to do... Maybe one day...
Old 12-31-2003, 12:57 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 08:58 AM
What I love is when I hear bands like the White Stripes refered to as the greatest rock and roll band in the world. Or the Strokes. When did rock go and suck? Must have had something to do with Axl Rose I suppose.

Help. Help. I live in Nashville.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:27 AM   #5
New Yorker

what does this have to do with AXL rose plese tell me?

a friend of mine was listening to a cold play song and thought it was a u2 song,, so what can i say.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:48 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 07:58 AM
Don't believe the hype *hint*
Coldplay is good band, I'm a fan but they are faaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr from being the biggest band in the world that just isn't happening.
Don't pay attention to CNN when it comes to music that isn't their strong point
Old 12-31-2003, 03:06 AM   #7
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:58 AM
Coldplay doesn't come close to U2. I mean, they've opened for U2 in the last couple of years, so what does that tell you?

A band can't release just two albums and be the biggest rock band. U2's had the seriously build a massive reputation. Coldplay could never sell albums and tour tickets like U2 can.

U2's about as big as big can be.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-31-2003, 03:57 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:58 PM
I saw that too, and I didn't agree. Sure they're currently on top of the world with the popularity and mainstream appeal, but they're not up there in the greatness department - they only made 2 albums so far and Chris Martin is nowhere near Bono in the vocal or charisma area, nor do they have the stream of powerful songs U2 has.
I like their music and they've got potential but as long as U2 or REM or Radiohead can do music no one will come close to them IMO.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:46 AM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
I saw that too, and I didn't agree. Sure they're currently on top of the world with the popularity and mainstream appeal, but they're not up there in the greatness department - they only made 2 albums so far and Chris Martin is nowhere near Bono in the vocal or charisma area, nor do they have the stream of powerful songs U2 has.
I like their music and they've got potential but as long as U2 or REM or Radiohead can do music no one will come close to them IMO.
I couldn't say it better. How can U2 be compared with Coldplay.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:04 AM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 09:58 AM
such sensitive egos...
Old 12-31-2003, 06:48 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:58 AM
well if coldplay had released 10 succesfull albums...
complete 2 successful huge stadium tours (ok some people thing popmart was a bit of a lemon )
ok so maybe they wont sell out stadium tours...but a few successful albums other than just 2 is what they need.......U2 will always be the best band in the world to me...and thats all that matters
Old 12-31-2003, 09:36 AM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 10:58 AM
Coldplay was maybe the biggest thing in 2003 but I am sure U2 will be submitting their re=application for the biggest band in the world job and getting rehired with a raise and fiull benefits.

Bono likes Chris Martin and his make trade fair stuff so its all good.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:42 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:58 AM
when did it become a competition?
Old 12-31-2003, 12:26 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:58 AM
tiara said it best...

a band/artist can release just ONE album and be the biggest band/artist in the world... at that particular time. when u2 was in elevation mode, they were the biggest band in the world... at that time. but as long as there's a little band out there known as the rolling stones, even u2 takes a second fiddle. i think that's what cnn was saying... coldplay are the biggest band in the world... at this particular time. are they anywhere close to u2 or the stones or the who on the all time list? hell no... but right here and now, they're what's happening

Old 12-31-2003, 02:19 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Hey u2 addict, don't sweat it. This thread will fit in this forum just fine. You did good. Welcome to the forums!

If Coldplay play their cards right, they could reach Biggest Band status in a few years. It's a little more difficult now to appeal to such a mass audience that U2 appealed to in the 80s, because of so much difference in musical preference now days. I just hope that Chris Martin's marriage to Gweneth (sp?) won't cause him to either a: be drawn away from Coldplay, or b: write a bunch of sappy love songs. I will think nothing less of him if he chooses his marriage over his band, but it'd be a real shame. Every man has his priorities.

Bono happens to be married to THE MOST UNDERSTANDING WOMAN IN THE WORLD. Most women wouldn't stand for what Ali goes through. But she knows that without her, Bono is nothing. His situation is different. Not all marriages can handle the stress of being world famous rock stars. Coldplay's future rests on how well they keep it together.

Tags
coldplay