coldplay-biggest rock band in the world?!? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2004, 07:41 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Leeloo
Pearl Jam? Give me a break but they haven't been 'big' in many years! They have become sort of a cult classic band that caters to a specific following and not much of their stuff is even famous anymore. Just because you like them doesn't make them the 'biggest band in the world' Radiohead also may be very popular among posters here but has very limited appeal which stops them from being all that 'big.'
sorry, but i don't measure "Big" as in what the pop music stations play.

and yes, i like pearl jam, i like them a lot, but so do millions and millions of other people. that's what makes them big.

Old 01-01-2004, 09:09 PM   #32
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985
Local Time: 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mikal

sorry, but i don't measure "Big" as in what the pop music stations play.
Then the correct term should be YOUR favorite band, not the world's biggest band.

Quote:
and yes, i like pearl jam, i like them a lot, but so do millions and millions of other people. that's what makes them big.
Dream on, but Pearl Jam is NOT fucking NOT the biggest band in the world. That's a fact not a fantasy! Get a grip on reality man!

Old 01-01-2004, 09:25 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

seabird, have a smoke and pop in your new NOW cd. maybe that will cheer you up.

get a grip on reality? hey, at least i'm not naming a band that hasn't released an album in over 3 years as the "biggest band in the world."
Old 01-01-2004, 09:27 PM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 01:09 AM
I'm confused what's everyone talking about now?
Old 01-02-2004, 01:35 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:09 AM
My thoughts as a huge U2 fan and a Coldplay enthusiastic (not huge fan, just new fan)

-first of all... a guy put on the same line Coldplay and Creed... WHAT????? that's so moronic... Creed had it's time until everyone realised that all of their songs were the same. And what band doesn't have a bass player???, c'mon!!!

- Coldplay is (without a doubt) my next favorite (active) band. That's when U2 stops, around 2010.

- All of Coldplay SINGLES are like the same = they finish like they started. But that's only the singles. Go listen to "Marianne", "A Rush of blood to the head", "Everything's not lost". Those are trully amazing songs. Marianne is the first rock and roll love song I've heard (by that I mean non-stop rock and roll, fast). Maybe I've heard another one, but I don't remember.

- Someone said that they aren't lyrically strong... have you listened to THE SCIENTIST ????, but I mean really listen. It's the most beautiful song I've heard this year (really sad though). And that one doesn't end like it begins.

- The Stones are OK, but to be the biggest rock band you should be able to play at least 3 times a week. Maybe they have played 3 times a week, but with that I'm saying that it takes them more from show to show. Nice DVD though (that's how a DVD should be)

- The only downside is that Chris Martin is too aggressive. All that reporters-fights stuff is bad. He's like Bad Bono. (we like God Bono )

- They have (believe it or not) uplifting songs: Everything's not lost, God put a smile... , Yellow (way too overplayed, but great anyway)

-Chris Martin sings beautyfully, just go download "Politik" with the NY Philharmonic Orchestra from the 2003 Grammys. And he will improve, like King Bogaloo did (87-93 style)

- They have the capacity to be the biggest band in the world, especially when U2 retires.

The fact is that Coldplay is right now the biggest rock band of the world, because:

1-Their music is reallly apealing (God put a smile..., Yellow, One I Love). I'm hard to sell and fell amazingly fast for The Scientist

2- 50 cent??? c'mon.... he looks really like a pimp or a "Rocky" extra. He looks like those guys you don't know if they are angry with you or what... And his songs suck... He will never get out of the shadow of Eminem... that guy really rocks... or raps... or who cares

3- The Stones are good, but they haven't changed the set list in ten years. Kiss ... I love them, but same problem. Aerosmith... stuck in Walk This Way. Metallica... something's missing.

4- Robbie Williams is the biggest act of the world, but he is pop.
If he were rock, HE would be the biggest rock thing in the world, but he is the the biggest POP thing in the world, period (take that, Beyonce... you suck)
PS: how can RW handle to gather 350 thousands in 3 days at Knewborth?. Can U2 do the same? (my heart says YES, mi mind cries NO )

5- U2 is not around.

To wrap things up, Coldplay IS the biggest rock band in the world, because they are great an there's nobody around to top them.
Radiohead is for really down people or posers. Their problem is that they are just too weird with their music. It's great and all, but not everybody can relate to them or their music. (Thom York still looks like a high school rebel, I can't follow him to the End of the world like Bono.)
Pearl Jam had the opportunity to be the biggest rock band, and they blew it with the post-jeremy-no-more-videos-because-it-was-too-hard-for-us stuff and the guys-dying-in-our-concerts-making-us-retire-from-the-public-eye thing. It was OK to fell bad, but not to dissapear. They are great musicians (Mike McCready rules), but they have focused on the fans, which is cool, but that says "we don't want to be for the world, just for our fans", and that rules them out.
I know U2 will come this year and hopefully show those Coldplay brats what they (U2) are made of.

My mind rests knowing that when U2 retires, I already have a backup band

PEPO
U2 & COLDPLAY FAN (I prefer the Larry Müllen Jr. Band rather than those 2... )
Old 01-02-2004, 06:24 AM   #36
The Fly

Local Time: 09:09 AM
so what makes the biggest band in the world?

record sales + critical aclaim + tour ticket sales + media coverage = biggest band in the world

(in my opinion)
Old 01-02-2004, 08:07 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:09 PM
have U2 ever played in knebworth?, at the castle ?(i think thats where robbie played )

if this tours gonna be big...they have to do atleast 2 nights there
Old 01-02-2004, 08:51 AM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis Presley
when did it become a competition?
I hate when the most brilliant post in a thread gets ignored.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:48 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:09 AM
I think what it makes a band to be the biggest band in the world is to actually make people talk about you (no, Interference doesn't count). "Have you heard this band?", "have you seen Coldplay's new video?", "have you listened U2's new album?".
This is NO FAN BASE I'm talking about, regular people talking, people who could eventually become fans

Of course record sales does count

And specially critical aclaim... those are hard to convince. People watch music shows, and when magazines and other media stuff, they all see in a band that they are the biggest band, I don't think that everybody could be so wrong. (maybe Rolling Stone and MTV, both still think Nirvana is alive and better than God )

It's all like a snow ball. When one appears, there's no stoping

Coldplay!!!!!!

U2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2004, 11:07 AM   #40
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985

Mikal, I am not a lame NOW fan. I have been an avid observer of the music scene since most likely before you were born. I'm sorry, but Pearl Jam cannot qualify as the biggest band in the world because they are not that popular with enough people in the mainstream or the media, and as wrong as that may seem, it's the way it is. BIG cannot be achieved without exposure. There are bands I like better than the ones on the current scene too but I do not presume to label them the biggest band in the world just because I think they should be.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:16 AM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:39 AM
I still think micheal bolton is due a comeback
Old 01-02-2004, 12:12 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
I still think micheal bolton is due a comeback
no zoney! this is the most brilliant post in this thread!
Old 01-02-2004, 12:34 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:09 AM
Ok, Coldplay fans. I have never heard a Coldplay record all the way through and that's because I haven't yet heard a Coldplay song that I like (on the radio, or in a video, etc.) I also know that sometimes the singles aren't necessarily the good songs so perhaps I shouldn't dismiss them yet. But what I've heard just sounds bland to my ear, kinda white bread and not even remotely interesting. I was watching a live concert on TV months ago and I changed the channel after 2 or 3 songs because I found them so incredibly uninteresting. What am I missing? Can somebody recommend some songs that I might not have heard that demonstrate why they are considered by many to be the next possible best band in the world? I just don't get it.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:07 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It must be me then. Coldplay bores me to tears. The singer doesn't sing, he whines. I feel they are extremely overrated.
But, they are very popular. They just don't do a thing for me though. The music I"ve heard by them sound to me like 3rd
rate Roger Waters songs.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:23 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by mikal
no zoney! this is the most brilliant post in this thread!
Indeed. EP's post is now second.

I am not sure if they are the best band in the world, but I do know Coldplay is FAR better than Zappa.

Tags
coldplay