coldplay-biggest rock band in the world?!? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2003, 03:41 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:12 PM
First, welcome to the forum U2 Addict!

Second, I think the source of the comment says it all. The regular CNN is so full of stupid, quirky stories and things that aren't real news that I can't even stand to watch their channel. So for them to say Coldplay is the biggest band in the world does not surprise me. And like others have said, music is not their specialty.

As for a real comparison of U2 and Coldplay, I agree that Coldplay needs to show some longevity before they can be crowned the new heavyweight champs of rock n roll. I love them dearly, but I wouldn't put them in the same category as U2 or Radiohead (or some other legendary bands)...at least not yet.

Old 12-31-2003, 03:45 PM   #17
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cmb737
Help. Help. I live in Nashville.
i know what you mean; i live in memphis.

i do think it's really premature to call coldplay the biggest band in the world, but then again i don't really think any band is the biggest in the world. but if i had to name one, it'd be a band with longevity who's proven themselves time and time again over the years, some band like U2, the beatles, or the rolling stones.

Old 12-31-2003, 08:08 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:12 PM
I think it would be fair to call Coldplay the biggest band of 2003 (it's not like they have a whole lot of competion - just look at how rap and R&B have dominated charts and radio play this year), but biggest band in the world, period??? Last time I checked, U2 hadn't retired - they just didn't do much this year because they are recording a new album.

All the Coldplay/U2 comparisons really irritate me. Just because they sold lots of records, got a few Grammys and some of their songs vaguely resemble U2's mellower stuff doesn't mean a thing. I can't even picture Coldplay doing anything resembling the intensity of Bullet the Blue Sky or Sunday Bloody Sunday or Exit. C'mon, just try to imagine Chris Martin howling like Bono does sometimes!
Old 12-31-2003, 08:11 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:12 PM
i don't think Coldplay is the biggest band in the world, but i don't think U2 is either. i would give the nod to either Radiohead or Pearl Jam.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:51 PM   #20
Refugee

Biggest band in the world......

RADIOHEAD
Old 12-31-2003, 10:21 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 02:12 PM
Radiohead??? haha.
They're aiight but more like OVERRATED
Old 12-31-2003, 10:43 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 06:12 PM
coldplay do not play rock or rock'n'roll , Radiohead do , but coldplay , they seemed to be made for mainstream .
Old 01-01-2004, 01:46 AM   #23
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:12 PM
first- thank you all for the warm welcome!
secondly- I agree that only bands who have consistently proven themselves over a period of time should be conferred titles like "greatest ","biggest",etc.
Thom yorke said this in an interview with Time before "hail to the thief "was released-"no matter how hard you try , after a while you end up being lifestyle music,& coldplay is a perfect example of that".
I totally agree, bands like coldplay , creed can just get stuck in a rut and can end up regurgitating the same stuff over & over.Very few bands (U2, radiohead) have escaped this fate.
also, like TiaraGurl said, U2will be submitting their re-app for the biggest band job,so , whenever I hear stuff like this, I just smile & think"go ahead, make hay while the sun shines, coz in a few months U2 will release anther stunning album & everyone is going to be obliterated by the shock wave"
Old 01-01-2004, 01:52 AM   #24
Acrobat

heres wishing U2(the biggest band in the world) & all interference members a very happy new year!
Old 01-01-2004, 06:52 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by mikal
i don't think Coldplay is the biggest band in the world, but i don't think U2 is either. i would give the nod to either Radiohead or Pearl Jam.
Um... doesn't "biggest" usually refer to big-time popularity and sales (which neither of these bands has if you look at cold hard chart figures)?

Coldplay are talented and promising, but ain't heavyweights just yet (and maybe the times of world-wide rock heavyweights is over anyway like many suggest).
Old 01-01-2004, 10:10 AM   #26
War Child

Pearl Jam? Give me a break but they haven't been 'big' in many years! They have become sort of a cult classic band that caters to a specific following and not much of their stuff is even famous anymore. Just because you like them doesn't make them the 'biggest band in the world' Radiohead also may be very popular among posters here but has very limited appeal which stops them from being all that 'big.' Coldplay wasn't THAT big this year, and was bigger in Europe than in the US. U2 is the only band mentioned that is truly a 'big' band, though they were inactive this year. According to stats and sales, 50 cent was the 'biggest' act of the year. I don't agree with that, but we can't just list people we like without anything other than our love and opinion to back it up.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:34 PM   #27
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:12 PM
Sorry to have to burst your bubble but right now Coldplay are the best band on the planet.

I agree maybe when U2 put out their next album they will take it over
Old 01-01-2004, 03:23 PM   #28
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985

I never saw what's so good about Coldplay, they are a bland and boring kind of band. I'm not a bit impressed. I see no evidence they are anything other than another snoozworthy matchbox 20. I don't see any great accolades for them either. Poo is right. They are not rock! They sound like adult contemporary!
Old 01-01-2004, 03:45 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:12 AM
there is no comparison...picture the energy that comes off U2..compare with c.p...???

Quote:
Originally posted by The_acrobat
Hey u2 addict, don't sweat it. This thread will fit in this forum just fine. You did good. Welcome to the forums!

Bono happens to be married to THE MOST UNDERSTANDING WOMAN IN THE WORLD. Most women wouldn't stand for what Ali goes through. But she knows that without her, Bono is nothing. His situation is different. Not all marriages can handle the stress of being world famous rock stars. Coldplay's future rests on how well they keep it together.

Ali

U2

coldplay
Old 01-01-2004, 03:50 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by gherman
Sorry to have to burst your bubble but right now Coldplay are the best band on the planet.
HAHA!
That's the funniest thing I've heard in the new year so far

Tags
coldplay