COLDPLAY - Best Band in the world?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tackleberry

War Child
I am a huge fan of Coldplay and U2, and I have followed Coldplay since their first album, seen them live twice, and I literally cannot stop listening to their album A Rush of Blood to The Head. I see all the accolades they are receiving, they are humble, have great attitudes, and make beautiful music. Not to mention their lives shows are great as well. I haven't seen a band live like them since U2. Their album shot up back into the top ten and has been on the charts for over a year. In a music world of cheese, fluff, rap, and hip hop, they are a British Rock n' roll band storming the US Charts and Award shows.

So do you think, as I am starting to think, that they have become the Best Band in the World?? And they haven't gone off the deep end like Radiohead yet. I think the key with Coldplay is to come out with a new album in 2 years. An Album that is different, breaks some boundries, and I think as they already are starting to, if they can follow a similar path that U2 took then they should be around for a long time to come.

I just wanted to express how I am "more" into Coldplay than U2 at this point, and that's the first time that has really happened to me.:wave:

I dunno about the best band in the world. I do agree with you on the thing about bringing out a new album that has a different sound. They definitely need to experiment with their sound a bit on the next album. If they bring out one virtually the same as the last two then I think they'll be in deep doodoo. But I reckon they know what they've gotta do anyhow, so it's gonna be interesting to just wait and see I guess :yes:

i wouldn't give them the best band in the world title yet. they need to be around about 20 something years and produce countless hits before i give them that title. i do enjoy their music. i am curious to see what their next ep will sound like. if it is all about Chris being in love with Gwen well i will have a problem with it.

even though i don't consider what Radiohead did "going off the deep end," i wouldn't mind it if Coldplay would do that.

don't get me wrong, i like Coldplay, but i get bored of them real fast.

but it's hard to listen to Coldplay after listening to a Radiohead album. it's like switching from Mountain Dew to Sprite(bad analogy, sorry).

I think Coldplay make beautiful music. But best band in the world? No... not by a long shot. They are still young yet, are getting a bit full of themselves from what I see of recent interviews, Chris is becoming press-shy bc of Gwyneth (yawn) and has said very recently again that Coldplay are going to take a break after this tour concludes to "think it all up again"... how very U2 of them.

I'm interested to see where Coldplay lands next, but it's too soon to give them any grandiose title.

no fucking way.
not even close.
they are a great band, but not the best in the world.

HeadsOnSticks said:
no fucking way.
not even close.
they are a great band, but not the best in the world.

I couldnt have said it better. :up:

I've seen them live twice and they are amazing but only having produced two albums they have a long way to go yet to be best band in the world! Maybe in the future :)

I really like coldplay, I have seen them 5 times. I have countless bootlegs. I think their first two albums are amazing and I believe their third will be as well.

With that said, calling them the best band in the world is a bit crazy. In my opinion their shows are nothing close to a U2 show, after seeing Radiohead, welll....

Great Band, but not best in the world yet.

Big call there tackleberry.
especially the bit about being more satisfying than U2!!
There are 10 000 best bands in the world, all different, all good( I won't list them:D..)
I'm glad you're digging Coldplay. I listened to and taped as many interviews with Chris Martin as I could while they were here in Australia(...Splendour:(...the one that got away..:(...)
One thing I gleaned from that, Chris is a very nice man.
Oi, speaking of nice men.....are you in New York? let me look...YEP!
I was listening to the radio yesterday and heard an interview with a very nice Aussie man from the band Interpol. They have just been playing clubs in NY ( CBGB's is it?). He said the NYer's are cool AND because of a cancellation, they had scored a gig in Virginia with QOTSA and RHCP. I'm delighted for them:up:

anyway...no argument here, Coldplay make great music:yes:
U2 make the world a better place:)

U2 is the best band in the world at the moment.

Coldplay is a young band with only two albums. The first album was good although uneven, but there were definitely some songs that had a great spark. The second album is indeed a pure classic. But one classic album and one good album does not make one the best band in the world.

Also, while Coldplay have sold well, their biggest selling so far has done about 6 million worldwide which what U2's POP did, compared to the 12 million that ATYCLB has sold. In addition, Coldplay can only play 20,000 seat arena's in big cities and only at low ticket prices.

tackleberry said:
I am a huge fan of Coldplay and U2, and I have followed Coldplay since their first album, seen them live twice, and I literally cannot stop listening to their album A Rush of Blood to The Head. I see all the accolades they are receiving, they are humble, have great attitudes, and make beautiful music. Not to mention their lives shows are great as well. I haven't seen a band live like them since U2. Their album shot up back into the top ten and has been on the charts for over a year. In a music world of cheese, fluff, rap, and hip hop, they are a British Rock n' roll band storming the US Charts and Award shows.

So do you think, as I am starting to think, that they have become the Best Band in the World?? And they haven't gone off the deep end like Radiohead yet. I think the key with Coldplay is to come out with a new album in 2 years. An Album that is different, breaks some boundries, and I think as they already are starting to, if they can follow a similar path that U2 took then they should be around for a long time to come.

I just wanted to express how I am "more" into Coldplay than U2 at this point, and that's the first time that has really happened to me.:wave:

HAHA :lol: best band in the world?? No way, i'm a huge fan of Coldplay but i wouldn't go that far. They still have a long way to go to reach greatness.
U2's success wasn't overnight it took years of hard work to get to be rock icons. So just chill out and enjoy their music.

First we really need to define "best band in the world" before even contemplating an asnwer. Is it the best technically speaking, the best in mood and atmosphere, the best in emotion and/or passion, or some other form of "best"? Their are so many ways to define it. When U2 talks in terms of "best band," they usually mean it in context of a given night, not so much in a linear way. If you want to ask who has the best live show, there are many, many, many great live bands out there...but I must say, Coldplay isn't as good as Radiohead or U2. Furthermore, U2, from a technical standpoint, doesn't even touch Radiohead, who have at least 3 members who can play drums and several other accomplished musicians. They have mastered numerous instruments--everyting from classical piano to drum and bass type electronic instruments--and their timing is perfect, no matter how many layers of music they are employing in a given moment. However, U2 has a certain spark, a certain "magic" if you want to call it that, which Radiohead doesn't always have...but when they do, WOW...Thom Yorke and the boys are on a whole different level than almost everyone else. That said, they have a different flavour of spark than U2, and U2's spark is unique and I've never seen it duplicated. U2 still offer the best live "experience" in my book.

So to answer the question, Coldplay is a great melodic rock band with some beautiful tunes, but I don' t consider them the"best band in the world".

Last edited:
Good points Michael Griffiths :up:

'Best Band in the World' is a fairly relative statement. Everyone has their own personal preference, I'm sure there are millions of people who would laugh in your face if you told them U2 was the best band in the world, and would probably be able to give a decent arguement for why they arent.

I'll admit, U2 is still my favorite band, but I'd never say they were the best band in the world. The best band in 'my world', maybe.

Lots of intelligent things have been said in this thread, and I agree for the most part that Coldplay, while pretty damn wonderful, can't touch the likes of U2 and Radiohead quite yet.

And I must add, I'd love to see Coldplay "go off the deep end." My favorite albums by my favorite bands are usually their most experimental ones. I'm a huge fan of Zooropa, Kid A, and Passengers. I say if Coldplay wants to venture into something a little more daring, then more power to them. Pushing the limits and finding your edge on every new album is what has made U2 and Radiohead so fantabulous.

Well, Coldplay's second album is a great step forward in the right direction from their debut, but they've still got a fair way to go before they become a truly great band. They've got some wonderful melodic songs to their name, but their music still has got a thin and undernourished feel to it at times, and I never get the feeling that they just let it all go while they're playing. Personally I'd like them to chuck their restraint out of the window and just plain go for it.

Back
Top Bottom