Coldplay, Areosmith, Vertical Horizon, Incubus, David Usher, Tea Party, The Hip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
No, they're not doing a song together or anything.

In keeping with my "Experience More (Rock) Music" experiment of the past few weeks (I'm not quite done with REM yet), I ask the following few questions:

Aerosmith: The new Greatest Hits Cd, or the Young Lust one?

Coldplay: Should I buy the Parachute album? I don't know much Coldplay, but what I have heard reminds me of U2....

Incubus: I know them better than Coldplay. Still deciding on whether to buy their last album

Vertical Horizon: I really love the song "Best I ever Had." They sound like they've got a few good ballads. Worth getting?

David Usher - Morning Orbit. any good? I liked the three releases off of it. Is the whole album worth a look?

The Tragically Hip - Once again, stuff I've heard. Not quite sure which album to buy.

Tea Party Greatest Hits - What I have heard from them is kinda dark and creepy. I like i, but don't know if all their stuff sounds the same.

That's it. I have to buy RHCP and Oasis timorrow, but I'll definetly be spending much of my time at HMV this week (huge sale).

Thanks guys.
(NOTE: the above list may sound naive. It probably is. I haven't been exposed to much music, partly b/c of this area where I grew up. If anyone could give me their opinions on the above said albums or bands, I'd love it. And thanks)

Last edited:
I have both Morning Orbit and Little Songs. The former is alright though a lot more poppy. It grew on me to the point where I really really enjoyed it.

Little Songs, however, is beautiful. You MUST get this!!! Its somber but well constructed.

I LOVE Tea Party. It has a very eastren mood to it. I strongly strongly suggest getting Tangents.
Its a great album from beginning to end!

I like Incubus' Make Yourself album a lot, along with their most recent CD. Their previous album just rocks a bit more than their latest. I think that Morning View shows their musical ability at its best. They get 'experimental' (for Californian rockers at least). But with so much 'experimental' CDs in my collection, I prefer Incubus when they rock. But either way, Incubus is a good band... and I love their albums. 'Warning' if you want a taste of their new album, 'Privilege' if you want a taste of Make Yourself.

A long time ago, I bought the Vertical Horizon CD with that song. I think it had Everything You Want (or something like that) on it too, and You're a God. Hey, I was once trying to broaden my musical horizons too. Obviously, I don't remember it well. I don't think I listened to it often- it must not have hooked me. I do remember that the first half of the CD was much better than the second half. I can't really help you out, sorry! I don't really think you should buy this one... You're much more likely to find something you like in Coldplay.

I burnt Coldplay's Parachutes onto a CD a few weeks ago. It's very good. I have to be in a mood to really love it. The album definitely shines though. The singles Coldplay released, 'Trouble,' 'Shiver,' and 'Yellow' are the highest points of the CD. Those are good to download if you want to know what Coldplay sounds like. Their album shows that they have large amounts of potential in the future... I'm awaiting their new CD that's coming out in August.

If you really want to expand your musical horizons... Radiohead- The Bends (or OK Computer if you're feeling ambitious). :yes:

I love the Tea Party (one of my top ten bands), so I highly recommend Tangents to you. Also the new cd they have "The Interzone Mantras" is awesome!

I also recommend "Little songs..." by David Usher. If you like his cd's check out his band Moist. Good stuff all around.

Hey The_Sweetest_Thing, totally cool that you are checkin' out new music. It's so easy to get stuck with the same stuff all the time.

Um, for the Tea Party... Tangents is a wicked album. You can also try Transmission or the Interzone Mantras as well.

As for Incubus, this band as progressed so much it's retarded. SCIENCE, is a great album and has more of the RCHP-funk feel to it. Out of the four/five(?), it is definitely the hardest rocking album they have and my favorite. Try "A Certain Shade of Green" or "Redefine."

Make Yourself is a brilliant album, definitely a must buy. Out of all of them, you can't really go wrong with this one. They sound more sophisticated on this one than on SCIENCE. "Privilege" (as Citric said) and "The Warmth" are places to start.

I don't have Morning View yet because I heard it's Incubus "gone lite." I dunno... but you can find the samples on http://www.enjoyincubus.com.

Enjoy,
JT

Don't buy Young Lust, at least I wouldn't. Get the new compilation, because Young Lust is exclusively the band's Geffen output. O Yeah, the new one, also includes their early and (less than great, but better than "Get a Grip) output with Columbia. Basically, if you want Mama Kin, Dream On, Sweet Emotion, Back in the Saddle, et al, plus the stuff they did later, go with the new one.

hmmm...regarding Vertical Horizon. They do have some nice ballads but the album has a tendency to sound pretty repetitive. I did see them open for another band and they actually seem to be pretty with it in terms of band cohesiveness and whatnot. But yeah, I'd download a few more songs before buying the album. "She's everything you want" was their big hit here as well as "You're a God". If you like them, then you'll probably enjoy the album.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:

Coldplay: Should I buy the Parachute album? I don't know much Coldplay, but what I have heard reminds me of U2....

Vertical Horizon: I really love the song "Best I ever Had." They sound like they've got a few good ballads. Worth getting?

Yep, get the Coldplay cd. Some of their songs are a bit mellow, but they're good! I discovered them through the Technics Mercury Prize UK album (I think it's released annually). The song "Spies" was there and I love it. I'm looking forward to their next album.

Vertical Horizon...I only got the cd because of "Everything You Want" and "You're A God". I eventually traded out the cd at the secondhand cd shops. :p

Tea party, i like the arabic tones in it ( there is a nice cover of the messenger, written by Daniel lanois, on it )

Read you, ....

Went to HMV today (before raeding the replies) and decided that Coldplay would be a good bet. SO I bought that and Oasis (and Garbage. Don't ask why. I suddenly felt compelled to buy Garbage).

Awesome repiles guys. Thanks so much. It's nice to get other opinions. I was beginning to hate how my CD collection was so...blah. Predictable. At least now it's gaining some depth (but slowly. It's so expensive!)

It looks like I'll try Tea Party, David Usher, and Incubus next...and maybe Radiohead in the near future (although I'm somewhat reluctant. They seem a bit different...I'm not quite sure how I'll react to that. Perhaps I'll try some downloading first).

Thanks for the replies guys! This really helps!

Last edited:
If you buy David Usher or Incubus or Tea Party before you own any Radiohead, then you should be ashamed.

Radiohead are the most important band in the world right now. They might not be the biggest, but they are doing much more for music than any of their peers.

Get OK Computer and have your mind opened.

oh wow, you should have mentioned you didn't have any Radiohead. Far and away the most important band on the list to get to know, imo. :D I waited a long time because I was intimidated by their reputation for being "weird" but omg I wish I hadn't.

Start off with The Bends and then get OK Computer...then go from there. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom