Coldplay Announce New Album Tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screwtape2 said:

Go away Lazarus. You clearly aren't a fan of the group so just leave. You hated it when people said they hated Radiohead. If you didn't like that why are you doing the same thing here. Just leave already.

The person who was trolling with that Radiohead thread was accusing the band of making music solely for critics and snobs, when those comments could easily have been dropped in the active thread about the band.

I didn't start this thread, I'm simply reacting to the chessiness of the song titles, and I'm not judging Coldplay just on that alone; I also think they are milquetoasts making boring wannabe art rock that is neither art nor rock.

Unlike respected artists normally accused of being pretentious, Coldplay fits the true meaning of the term, where the work "characterized by assumption of dignity or importance" its backed up by little substance.

Also, Chris Martin's laughable performance at the Grammys a couple years ago where he pathetically tried to emulate Bono's stage persona is just another reason to dislike him/them.

I just think it's funny when such a big deal is made about a safe, unchallenging band like this as if they're some kind of important or essential act. Working with Brian Eno does not automatically give you credibility.

But I'm more than happy to ignore the rest of this thread, as it will become increasingly disturbing over the next few weeks to watch people drool all over themselves with anticipation, especially those who normally seem to have such good taste.

lazarus said:

The person who was trolling with that Radiohead thread was accusing the band of making music solely for critics and snobs, when those comments could easily have been dropped in the active thread about the band.

I didn't start this thread, I'm simply reacting to the chessiness of the song titles, and I'm not judging Coldplay just on that alone; I also think they are milquetoasts making boring wannabe art rock that is neither art nor rock.

Unlike respected artists normally accused of being pretentious, Coldplay fits the true meaning of the term, where the work "characterized by assumption of dignity or importance" its backed up by little substance.

Also, Chris Martin's laughable performance at the Grammys a couple years ago where he pathetically tried to emulate Bono's stage persona is just another reason to dislike him/them.

I just think it's funny when such a big deal is made about a safe, unchallenging band like this as if they're some kind of important or essential act. Working with Brian Eno does not automatically give you credibility.

But I'm more than happy to ignore the rest of this thread, as it will become increasingly disturbing over the next few weeks to watch people drool all over themselves with anticipation, especially those who normally seem to have such good taste.

Right now you are trolling. Leave so I can still have some respect left for you. You are coming off as a real jerk. You don't like the band. We understand that. Now just leave unless you have something constructive. I don't want to have to report you for trolling. :shrug:

Safe and unchallenging? Absolutely.

Some good tunes though.

And I like the title Strawberry Swing because, well, I like strawberries. A LOT.

Screwtape2 said:

Right now you are trolling. Leave so I can still have some respect left for you. You are coming off as a real jerk. You don't like the band. We understand that. Now just leave unless you have something constructive. I don't want to have to report you for trolling. :shrug:

While I wholeheartedly disagree with lazarus on this matter, he is certainly entitled to express them in this thread. This is not a Coldplay appreciation thread. If it were, then accusations of trolling would be valid because it's a thread for Coldplay enthusiasts.

That being said, any opinions on Coldplay's upcoming album, in my opinion, are valid.

BonoManiac said:

While I wholeheartedly disagree with lazarus on this matter, he is certainly entitled to express them in this thread. This is not a Coldplay appreciation thread. If it were, then accusations of trolling would be valid because it's a thread for Coldplay enthusiasts.

That being said, any opinions on Coldplay's upcoming album, in my opinion, are valid.

But he isn't here to give any kind of thought out opinion on the album. He is here to express his hatred for the band. That's trolling in my eyes. If he listens to the album and doesn't like it that's fine. To for no reason express hatred for the band serves no purpose in this thread. His intentions have nothing to do with the album.

Screwtape2 said:

But he isn't here to give any kind of thought out opinion on the album. He is here to express his hatred for the band. That's trolling in my eyes. If he listens to the album and doesn't like it that's fine. To for no reason express hatred for the band serves no purpose in this thread. His intentions have nothing to do with the album.

Well, that's something that we all have to live with. I've stated this many, many times, but I firmly believe that music is subjective, so it shouldn't be a reflection on me personally if I like XYZ band.

But there will always be people who denigrate your taste in music, so you're just going to have to grow a thicker skin. :shrug:

lazarus said:
it will become increasingly disturbing over the next few weeks to watch people drool all over themselves with anticipation, especially those who normally seem to have such good taste.

Please don't start hating me too much then, lazzy. We have a good thing going here. You're my little feral parrot.

Considering how much my taste in music has evolved since my Coldplay loving heyday, I'm a little surprised to find myself tremendously excited about this. Hopefully they've put together something great. This just jumped way up my anticipated albums list.

But I don't think it's quite to my anticipation level for Evil Urges.

lazarus said:
I just think it's funny when such a big deal is made about a safe, unchallenging band like this as if they're some kind of important or essential act.

What's even funnier is that comments like these, or that Radiohead-bashing thread, only serve to contribute to the fuss over the afore-mentioned bands, :mac:

As for Coldplay's newie, I do hope they pull it off. I'm not entirely convinced that they have more in them than being a good lil' band, but we'll just have to wait and see.

GirlsAloudFan said:
Safe and unchallenging? Absolutely.

What? No one's even heard any of the new tracks yet! It could be the most revolutionary thing since Dark Side Of The Moon.

Laz can say what he wants, this is democratic thread. But at the end of the day, no one's in a position to judge anything about this album, 'cause no one's heard the bloody thing yet.

A Rush Of Blood To The Head was one of the most beautiful albums of all time, an incredible sound that deserved all of it's commercial success. X&Y indeed lacked cohesion, flow and a vision, and had a few stinkers, yet there is no reason why VLVODAAHF will not be as timeless and classic as AROBTTH.

we're like 2 months away from this...

and only NOW we get the tracklisting..?

where's a single?

U2 wouldn't do this :angry:

intedomine said:
A Rush Of Blood To The Head was one of the most beautiful albums of all time, an incredible sound that deserved all of it's commercial success.

And you don't like The Bends.

Credibility=ZERO

The End.

intedomine said:

What? No one's even heard any of the new tracks yet! It could be the most revolutionary thing since Dark Side Of The Moon.

Laz can say what he wants, this is democratic thread. But at the end of the day, no one's in a position to judge anything about this album, 'cause no one's heard the bloody thing yet.

A Rush Of Blood To The Head was one of the most beautiful albums of all time, an incredible sound that deserved all of it's commercial success. X&Y indeed lacked cohesion, flow and a vision, and had a few stinkers, yet there is no reason why VLVODAAHF will not be as timeless and classic as AROBTTH.

My 'safe and unchallenging comment' was in response to the post Lazarus made, as I was in agreement with him that Coldplay's previous output is safe and unchallenging.

It wasn't a comment on the forthcoming album.

I can't believe they are REALLY naming the album Viva La Vida. :|

Some of the song titles sound cool, though.

This year is a good year in music.

lazarus said:

And you don't like The Bends.

Credibility=ZERO

The End.

Actually, dare I say it, it's taken about 4 years but I'm finally starting to see some decency in The Bends. (Nice Dream) and Fake Plastic Trees have been on reasonably heavy rotation the past couple of days for some reason when I've usually found them to be dreary.....maybe I'm beginning to see the light. The feral sound that is My Iron Lung is still an earsore though.

Well My Iron Lung is crap so I'm not going to disagree with you there. Why they released that, the worst and most generic song on the album as a single I'll never know.

U2isthebest said:
Damn, if the songs are as good as their descriptions and titles, this album is going to be brilliant. I can't wait.:drool:

i hope so, I need to fill the void that 'X&Y' left me o.ò

My Iron Lung is one of the big reasons that I got into the 'head.

It was the gateway drug that lead to the purchase of Ok Computer and Kid A.

Here is my personal thanks to the band for writing My Iron Lung....as I know for a fact that Colin Greenwood lurks on the Interference forums and is prone to checking out Coldplay threads in Bang and Clatter.

GirlsAloudFan said:
Here is my personal thanks to the band for writing My Iron Lung....as I know for a fact that Colin Greenwood lurks on the Interference forums and is prone to checking out Coldplay threads in Bang and Clatter.

lol srsly?

Anyone who thought GirlsAloudFan was even remotely serious needs to slap themselves on the cheek to snap out of it.

I've read that first single "Violet Hill" will be released on May 6. Apparently it's about Jonny's daughter, but who knows whether or not that's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom