Coldplay Announce New Album Tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be as good as we'll get. The FLAC sounds like ass, for some reason, so here's a V0 m.p.3. It sounds better than the radio rip anyhow. I really wish there was a way to get the vinyl over here in the States though:

http://www.send space.com/file/ncmzzv

Can we talk about how good the Talk b sides are? Sleeping Sun is great and Gravity is one of my top five favorite songs of theirs. X&Y could have been a hell of a lot better than it was. I made a tracklist a while back which scrapped the clunkers, replaced Talk with the demo, and added some of the great b sides. It really could have been a good album...

honestly... u2 fans should never make fun of another band's outfits and/or hair.

4.7.05.jpg

bad3.jpg

Okay I listened to Violet Hill again, and it's better than X&Y at least

And I just downloaded Viva la Vida and A Spell a Rebel Yell on first listen right now

:ohmy:

I've seen gay things...

but that's so gay that's almost hetero... :huh:

(because it makes the whole round...)

Whoever made the comment about the French soldier connection, I totally agree. The lyrical content matches it for sure, I was confused at first when I saw the Delacroix painting as the cover (and horrified as I'd just had this as one a million slides to memorize for an art history final earlier in the day haha) because of Martin's comments on the Spanish/Kahlo influence (given the title) but now I'm thinking that the Viva La Vida thing may be more of a thematic connection he found than a sound/lyrical thing.

Viva la Vida's a catchy track. Sounds very Depeche Mode/Pet Shop Boys to me though, but that's okay.

The "new look" is hilarious. Almost as hilarious as Bono's jackets during the last tour.

I like Viva La Vida, and Violet Hill is slowly growing on me as well.

This new album has some potential

t8thgr8 said:
Be careful, I got banned for much less

Um much less, I'd say no.

pepokiss please do not use the word gay in that way, it is offensive to a lot of members here.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
honestly... u2 fans should never make fun of another band's outfits and/or hair.

Whatever. Bono can usually get away with wearing get-ups like that. At least he doesn't have shit all over his hands like a high school girl.

050606_coldplay_vmed_1p.widec.jpg

impy13 said:
This might be as good as we'll get. The FLAC sounds like ass, for some reason, so here's a V0 m.p.3. It sounds better than the radio rip anyhow. I really wish there was a way to get the vinyl over here in the States though:

http://www.send space.com/file/ncmzzv

:drool: :drool:

:bow:

...I love this 'Rebel Yell' track. Coldplay has always blatantly ripped off U2, but that's what makes them a fun indulgence.

lazarus said:

Whatever. Bono can usually get away with wearing get-ups like that. At least he doesn't have shit all over his hands like a high school girl.

If Thom did it, it's be considered acceptable.....

This is hard, trying to abstain from Viva La Vida until the album release, really difficult.

Band's new image is fine. A band just doing what they wanna do, wearing what they wanna wear. Fits in nicely with what must almost certainly be a concept album based from the perspective of a soldier maybe?

Don't see what people are whinging about, seems that the flavour of 07-08 has been to be anti-Coldplay about every little petty thing.....commercial success and radio play, jealous much? Looking for acceptance amongst music elites? Grow up and enjoy the tunes.....they are fucking magnif!

The difference is that Thom is:

a) an actual weirdo, not some twit pretending to be weird
b) a genius
c) cool

But he still doesn't have shit like that on his hands, because he doesn't try so hard.

impy13 said:
Can we talk about how good the Talk b sides are? Sleeping Sun is great and Gravity is one of my top five favorite songs of theirs. X&Y could have been a hell of a lot better than it was. I made a tracklist a while back which scrapped the clunkers, replaced Talk with the demo, and added some of the great b sides. It really could have been a good album...

Yes we can, I think Gravity is one of their best songs and it's criminal that it wasn't included on the album.

It's weird though, while I can rationalize that X&Y was not as good an album as Rush Of Blood or Parachutes I still think it's not as half as bad as most people on here go on about... I realize this puts me in the minority.

lazarus said:
The difference is that Thom is:

a) an actual weirdo, not some twit pretending to be weird
b) a genius
c) cool

But he still doesn't have shit like that on his hands, because he doesn't try so hard.

How is having that "shit on his hands" "try hard." On the contrary, I think it would be very difficult to argue that the "shit on his hands", has been detrimental to the MAKE TRADE FAIR cause.

elevated_u2_fan said:

Yes we can, I think Gravity is one of their best songs and it's criminal that it wasn't included on the album.

It's weird though, while I can rationalize that X&Y was not as good an album as Rush Of Blood or Parachutes I still think it's not as half as bad as most people on here go on about... I realize this puts me in the minority.

They gave Gravity away to some other band didn't they, ala The Beatles giving I Wanna Be Your Man to the Stones?

I'm with ya re X&Y. The main piece of flak it cops is that it was "same old" Coldplay?! An extraordinarily simplistic generalisation. Square One, White Shadows, Talk, X&Y, Twisted Logic and the admittedly annoying Fix You contrasted starkly from the Coldplay of old.

X&Y was flawed because it lacked cohesion, was a confusing tracklisting, and it mixed Coldplay in autopilot with Coldplay exploring new territory. The World Turned Upside Down, Things I Don't Understand and the sweet little Proof (along with Sleeping Sun and Gravity) were all albumworthy, and could easily be swapped for some of the album tracks.

The answer: Get rid of Til Kingdom Come (Coldplay's worst song?), get rid of the half-decent but admittedly filler The Message, What If and even Hardest Part (which I love), maybe drop Twisted Logic (for just being kinda ordinary), and throw in some of these sweet b-sides.

The album just would've sounded as if it had more purpose, like it lived up to what songs like White Shadows, Square One and Low intended to do, extend the Coldplay sound. Indeed, in retrospect, the album might have been detached from the trilogy (subsequently, creating a continuum where the trilogy would never existed or been imagined, where's a flux capacitor when ya need one Doc? That's Heavy!)?!

I have never heard that about Gravity, who did they give it to?

It's funny you mention Til Kingdom Come and A Message - those are two of my favorites off the album :lol:

I always thought The Hardest Part, Fix You and Swallowed In The Sea where some of the weaker tracks off the album but to each his own...

elevated_u2_fan said:

I don't think it puts you in the minority that much. We just have a few people here who are very loud with their anti-Coldplay bashing that makes it seem overwhelming.

X&Y could have been better, absolutely, but some of those songs are really good.

And I agree, impy - the Talk B-sides are fantastic. I love Sleeping Sun.

I'm loving "Vida La Vida" from the 30 second sample I heard on iTunes. It's a very atmospheric sound a la 'The Unforgettable Fire', yet it's not really similar to anything on that album. Would anyone mind sending the full song my way to jesusgirl06@yahoo.com ? I really shouldn't be spending any more money on music for a couple weeks.

U2isthebest said:
I'm loving "Vida La Vida" from the 30 second sample I heard on iTunes. It's a very atmospheric sound a la 'The Unforgettable Fire', yet it's not really similar to anything on that album. Would anyone mind sending the full song my way to jesusgirl06@yahoo.com ? I really shouldn't be spending any more money on music for a couple weeks.

No one has a file yet, we've been using the link on youtube so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom