Coldplay Announce New Album Tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:
It's sad that 30 seconds of a b-side (Rebel Yell) sound far more intriguing than all of Violet Hill. This is X&Y all over again.

oh STFU and go listen to Radiohead :wink:

Saracene said:
I like Violet Hill but it strikes me as a solid mid-weight album track rather than first single material. Even Speed of Sound packed more punch, in that respect.

Indeed, it's quite an extraordinary choice for first single, particularly that 40 second into prior to Chris' vocal.

I can't see it capturing the imaginiation of the "I like Snow Patrol because they were on Grey's Anatomy, but only that one song" brigade. Not an obvious commercial smash....

Here's a radio rip of A Spell A Rebel Yell. Obviously, the quality isn't that great. Once I find a rip of the vinyl, I'll put it up for you guys.

http://www.media fire.com/?g1z1tow1vix

Mods, this is available free and is an exclusive with the new issue of NME. As such, it's not "commercially available material."

Edit: There are two things I notice after listening to it. 1. I like it a lot. 2. It's definitely incomplete. I'll keep you posted when I find a better quality, full length rip. It should be today.

Last edited:
I like it. Love it actually, like a cross between Stone Roses, U2 and Tears For Fears...almost psychadelic.

I could see this song being considered an album track, but maybe it's only a b-side because it might be considered to detract from the flow and cohesiveness of VLVODAAHF.....indeed, it is very different from Violet Hill.

A few general thoughts about VLVODAAHF:

1. The 40 second intro to Violet Hill (Track 8). Why? Does it somehow segue from Viva La Vida (Track 7)?

2. What is with three tracks having slashed song titles?
- Lovers In Japan/Reign Of Love
- Yes!/Chinese Sleep Chant
- Death And All His Friends/The Escapist
Are these tracks operating in a similar way to Put It Behind You into Crystal Ball on Keane's Under The Iron Sea, and instrumental sound (The Iron Sea) linking the songs?

3. The lyrics in both Violet Hill and A Spell A Rebel Yell refer to a "soldier" and going somewhere (Home/Violet Hill). Are we seeing a common lyrical theme being that from the point of view of a soldier? Death And All His Friends? Lovers In Japan (WW2?)? Cemetaries Of London? The Escapist? A Revolutionary battle as depicted on the album cover? Non Album songs such as Poppy Fields, Postcards From Far Away, Prospekt's March, leftirghtleftright?

Are Coldplay releasing a concept album?

Last edited:
intedomine said:

Indeed, it's quite an extraordinary choice for first single, particularly that 40 second into prior to Chris' vocal.

I can't see it capturing the imaginiation of the "I like Snow Patrol because they were on Grey's Anatomy, but only that one song" brigade. Not an obvious commercial smash....

Good, better off not grabbing for that demo. Snow Patrol were better off in the public mind (maybe not $$$ wise) before that, and CP was more free to be creative prior to AROBTTH's smash success.

There is talk of another single release prior to the album's release, along with the release of many of the songs that didn't make the album proper......there's supposed to be some big announcments coming from Coldplay HQ in the coming weeks......

I was finally able to listen to the snippet of Rebel Yell, and I must say it sounds quite promising. I think I already like it better than Violet Hill.

....and another track has just been released onto I Tunes for purchase, Viva La Vida. Does anyone get the sneaking suspicion that Coldplay have adopted a marketing strategy that is a gradual one-by-one leakage of the songs from the album?

I'm actualy intending to avoid hearing this one so I can hear it on the album proper in a month's time.

Aren't there only going to be 10 songs on this album? It seems they're letting a lot go early, I suppose this is one way to avoid problems from a leak.

well, I had thought that A Spell a Rebel Yell was a B-Side anyway...

So far that's just two tracks being released early. On top of that, considering how frequent album leaks are now a days, it's probably better to get them out ahead of time anyway :shrug:

nd the lyrics are such an improvement for Chris :up:

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sweep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own
I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"
One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand