Coldplay Announce New Album Tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2Fanatic4ever said:

:giggle:
I agree with ya BoMac. Nothing groundbreaking here but a decent song. I hope for better on the rest of the album.

Anyone know about how long before the email from coldplay.com came with the free song download? I have tried it twice and there is nothing in my inbox or spam folder.:huh:

I tried it through my e-mail address, and still havent recieved anything after about an hour and a half.....but my bro checked his email right after ordering the download and he got an email within a minute....

I agree it is nothing earth-shattering or anything. And if there is one critique I would give it, it would be the ending. I would've loved to have seen the song take off into the stratosphere with a killer solo of some kind at the end.

But that's nitpicking a bit, which everyone is guilty of when it comes to Coldplay. Overall, I think it's a very strong song. Certainly stronger as a leadoff single than Speed Of Sound, in my opinion.

I would disagree, i thought speed of sound was a great single which was very unlucky not to be number 1 in the uk.

It was a great single in terms of chart success, but not in terms of quality. It really was, as everyone says, a rewrite of Clocks.

Not saying the song sucks, but it wasn't the best on the album, either.

It is sort of different for Coldplay, I think for some reason I was expecting more of a departure, which is unfair when Martin has such a distinctive voice (whether you like or dislike it).

And who knows, maybe the rest of the album will de different.

intedomine said:

I tried it through my e-mail address, and still havent recieved anything after about an hour and a half.....but my bro checked his email right after ordering the download and he got an email within a minute....

I haven't received mine either so I'm just listening to it on their myspace page.

At least it was a long and dark December and not a cold and wet one :wink:

elevated_u2_fan said:

I just sent you the link I got and then read the rest of your sentence about zip files :lol:

hold on a sec, I'll resend the file unziped...

ETA: ok, it's been sent...

You're such a good son.:cute: I see you're not following your father's example.

elevated_u2_fan said:

by what? actually liking X&Y?

! I love X&Y too :reject:

Anyway, on first listen, I am loving Violet Hill.:love: I do think it's a departure for them. I like the bluesier staccato sound. I wish the ending would have been stronger like every one here has been saying, but I think this is among the strongest that Chris' vocals have ever been.

Just gave it a quick play, sounds decent enough, hopefully it will sound better when I give it another listen with earphones on later.

Listened to it a few times now. Not bad at all considering it's Chris Martin singing it. :D

After a few listens, here's some impressions...

The good:

1. This song actually improves as it goes; the solo is great, and I really like the outro.

2. It's strong lyrically.

3. Martin's falsetto is used SPARINGLY! Huzzah!

The bad:

1. The song is too fast. It never has a chance to get into a rhythm and it feels as if it just wants to get out of the way as quickly as possible.

2. This is not a good choice for first single. It won't be a hit or anything.

Overall, it's about a B in my opinion. It's not very impressive at this stage, but I feel that it will likely work well in the context of the album.

LemonMelon said:
After a few listens, here's some impressions...

The good:

1. This song actually improves as it goes; the solo is great, and I really like the outro.

2. It's strong lyrically.

3. Martin's falsetto is used SPARINGLY! Huzzah!

The bad:

1. The song is too fast. It never has a chance to get into a rhythm and it feels as if it just wants to get out of the way as quickly as possible.

2. This is not a good choice for first single. It won't be a hit or anything.

Overall, it's about a B in my opinion. It's not very impressive at this stage, but I feel that it will likely work well in the context of the album.

I agree with this 100 percent. It's not the jaw-dropping experience I had when I first played "Rush of Blood," but it's growing on me a bit and I can see it being a part of an album, not a single.

Has it been declared the official first single, or is it just a free song they're giving away from the album? I thought they were going to have another one on radio - I might be wrong though.

I'm digging it. It's got some neat theatrics going on thorughout.

The website is being weird...I'll try to see if I can upload it unless another kind soul gets to it first...I'm at work and can't do it now...

Was a long and dark December
From the rooftops i remember
There was snow
White snow

Clearly i remember
From the windows they were watching
While we froze down below

When the future's architectured
By a carnival of idiots on show
You'd better lie low

If you love me
Won't you let me know?