Coldplay album review mega-thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelordevil

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Rolling Stone Coldplay X&Y Review

thought you all might like to read this...

Coldplay

X&Y

*** (three stars)

Originally released: 2005
Capitol Records Inc.

Coldplay didn't seem destined for bigness. Their 2000 debut, Parachutes, was full of drizzly but pretty rock ballads that were almost memorable enough to prevent American listeners from confusing the band with Travis. Of course, that album also included a huge, soaring song called "Yellow," which may well be inspiring a drunken singalong in your local bar as you read this.

"Yellow" was a smash, but what came next was even smashier. In 2002, Coldplay released A Rush of Blood to the Head, which perfectly captured the heady feeling of a small band acting big. The band's sad-sack frontman, Chris Martin, transformed himself with so much swagger and so many hooks that even 50 Cent had to pay tribute, turning Martin's ambivalent lyric into a greasy boast: "God gave me style, God gave me grace." The rest of the band supplied Martin with propulsive rhythms, giving their newly pushy leader something to pull against, and the songs were even better; the band had mastered the art of writing graceful ballads that were both deceptively simple and fiendishly hard to dislodge from the human brain.

Since then, Martin has become a worldwide rock star, for better and for worse. He has a wife named Gwyneth and a baby named Apple, who just turned one, and who probably already knows what "paparazzi" means. On the other hand, Martin's newfound notoriety has meant more exposure for his favorite causes, such as fair trade. Compared to all the hubbub about Chris Martin the celebrity, his band's return to the American pop charts was a bit of a letdown. Coldplay began the campaign for X&Y with "Speed of Sound," an appealing but not thrilling song (it sounds a bit like Rush of Blood's "Clocks" but without the swagger). Whereas Rush of Blood was a nervy bid for bigness, X&Y is something less exciting. It's the serious sound of Martin trying to sing songs that match his stature. It's the sound of a blown-up band trying not to deflate.

Like the previous one, this album starts in outer space. Last time, there were those roiling piano chords of "Politik" and an audacious opening: "Look at Earth from outer space/Everyone must find a place." This time there's an atmospheric hum, and Martin murmurs, "The future's for discoverin'/The space in which we're travelin'." Drummer Will Champion enters with a tense rhythm, Guy Berryman adds one of those hurtling- forward bass lines, and Jonny Buckland doubles it with a skinny guitar line -- there's plenty to listen to, but not a lot to love. Luckily, this album contains its share of lovely ballads that sound, well, Coldplay-ish: Thanks to Keane and other imitators, Coldplay's name has become an adjective. One of the best is "Fix You," an unabashedly sentimental song where Martin delivers words of encouragement in a gentle falsetto. "Lights will guide you home/And ignite your bones/And I will try to fix you," he sings, proving once more that no band can deliver a stately rock ballad like this one. And although "Twisted Logic" may be an obvious Radiohead rip-off (with a title that sounds alarmingly Fred Durst-ish), the members find ways to build suspense while progressing toward that inevitable crashing climax.

Still, a surprising number of songs here just never take flight, from "The Hardest Part" (which actually gets less catchy as it goes along) to "A Message," which might actually be too Coldplay-ish: "My song is love," Martin announces, and you might find yourself wishing it weren't. Martin has talked about how hard he worked on this album, and it shows: Nothing on it sounds easy -- maybe 50 Cent made off with a little bit of his style and grace. X&Y does find ways to reward persistent listeners, especially those who make it all the way past the end to the bonus track, "Till Kingdom Come," which is the most casual thing on the album (it starts with Martin counting) and maybe the best. "I don't know which way I'm going/I don't know which way I've come," he sings, accompanied by little more than an acoustic guitar, and after what's come before, it's an unexpected delight to hear him sound so small again.

KELEFA SANNEH
(Posted juin 16, 2005)

Yeah, I was not pleased with that review. However, they gave the new White Stripes 4 and a half. :yes:

Thanks a lot for the review.Kelefa hits the point totally.Looks like I am not the only one not impressed with X&Y.What I like the most however is "review" of the developement of Martin as a singer and a rock star.

anyone who could give X & Y a bad review either needs to clean their ears or fix their cd player.

mikal said:
anyone who could give X & Y a bad review either needs to clean their ears or fix their cd player.

I think the album is boring and more than a bit pretentious. Now I don't mind albums that are pretentious (Kid A), just don't be boring (Hail to the Thief). Even after several listens, this album doesn't do anything for me. The songs seem forced and contrived.

I think this review is pretty crap (rollingstone:( ) I don't see any need to attack the artist. Talk about the music.

I always distrust reviews that can be boiled down to, "I liked the way they used to sound better". Very lazy thinking for a critic to engage in. For every genius album ever made, there are 10 reviews like this from people that just got scared off by a band making a change. Remember all the people scratching their head over Achtung, or 'The Fly' specifically ...

I haven't heard 'X&Y' yet, so I don't know if it is genius or not. But this kind of review is simply not helpful one way or the other.

Rolling Stone's full of crap. I was looking at their review of Oasis and they said it was "a return to form" which is basically what they called their last record. They bashed the band then gave it four stars???? They basically rip apart Coldplay and then give it 3 stars (which equals "good") so they can eat turds. I'm getting it anyway!

strannix said:

I haven't heard 'X&Y' yet, so I don't know if it is genius or not. But this kind of review is simply not helpful one way or the other.

Definitely NOT genius material here. Blender, Q magazine, Paste all gave it 5 stars, and I generally read those mags (not Blender, though), but had to disagree with them. I can't believe I actually am agreeing with a RS review. X&Y has a couple great tracks, but like the RS reviewer said: "a surprising number of songs here just never take flight". I also agreed with the AMG review, but it has since been taken off their website.

Rolling Stone is 90% reprinted press releases, 5% good pictures of teen pop stars boobs, 5% worthwhile reading.

Having said that my feelings on Coldplay are pretty similar to that reviewers. I don't for a second doubt Chris Martin's intentions or sincerity, and that's a great start, but I think as a band they'll have to realise and accept that their music went to a very different place to what they probably intended it to, and it did so very, very quickly. It happened to them in hyperspeed, but if there's one bit of advice I think they should take off their heroes it would be this; "Achtung, Baby!", because they've reached that fork in the road. Way quicker than U2 did, but it's the same thing. 'Coldplay' became so overplayed, so over copied, and so the anthem for the otherwise bland so quickly (none of which is their fault) that they have to shift quickly if they are to be what I believe they want to be.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to spend a bit of time with the band (circa Parachutes, pre hugeness), and they are all great guys, and Chris Martin is a wide eyed dreamer who wants the biggest and best for his band for all the most honest and right reasons. I think it's unfair that Coldplay get the bagging that they get. He is a great songwriter, they are a very good band, but they've gotten themselves stuck in a corner as something they really shouldn't be - as Zoomerang96 said - "lifestyle music". It's not entirely their fault that they are there, but they are, and the sooner they realise and fight their way out of that, the better. Kinda like the reviewer suggests, they are letting what has been built around them direct them, rather than directing what is built around them. That's the key for them at the moment.

They COULD be something really special, but they're not.

My take on X & Y

I was not impressed at all after the first 3 listens, but in hindsight that was because I was waiting to be impressed. I stuck it on as background music while I was surfing the Net and it leaped out at me (not literally of course!). It is less melodic and immediate as the other 2, but I think it is a brave and ambitious album that will ensure their longevity. I think it will be a blockbuster, but fans reactions will be mixed, and the next album will sell less, at least initially. It is a moody, atmospheric and EUROPEAN sounding album, which is why I am not surprised a lot of Americans hate it. I am not being xenphobic but from surfing the Net and reading reviews of U2 and other artists, it seems that every time a band gets experimental Americans get a little cold.

Anyway, I like it a lot, and I will play the hell out of it as much if not more as the other 2. BTW, the first 2 albums took a few listens to really grab me too.

After having listened to the album (non-stop) for a few days, there are two songs which I love ('A Message' and 'Swallowed in the Sea'), and i'm impartial to the rest. That pretty much follows suit with how I have felt about the last two albums.

This one definitely has a 'I have a daughter and a wife who I love very much' feel to it in the songwriting. I never thought they'd take that direction (well, Chris Martin, at least).

From what''s being said here, can we just call this album Pop?:wink:

jp

can we all stop overrating this band, can martin write any lyrics with depth and value instead of tired arse love songs. so sick of hearing about them as the next U2 , please they are soooooo overated with their songs having no lasting playability. If i hear trouble or yellow or anysong by them except the new one which sounds like an old one, i'm gonna puke. Yes they create nice melodies and at first it was ok , now its soooooooooooooooo old of a style and done to death.

I wonder how many people actually listened to the album, rather than quote other people about it.

"Coldplay is a band that at least admits borrowing from us." - Adam Clayton

Yeah, Coldplay is "lifestyle music", but to me Radiohead has become worse, "beard stroking music." I'll probably still pick up X&Y despite my reservations about it.

U2girl said:
I wonder how many people actually listened to the album, rather than quote other people about it.

"Coldplay is a band that at least admits borrowing from us." - Adam Clayton

:yes:

Man, I was actually looking forward to this album too... it had better be better than everyone is saying.

It seems all these big bands are releasing albums currently, and I am a little let down by all of them... The new DMB album is not very memorable. The White Stripes new song is total garbage. The Foo Fighters song doesn't really go anywhere or do anything for me. Billy Corgan's new single is pretty god-awful. I'm personally not too big on the new Oasis album, though it is being raved on here. The Wallflowers new album is not up to speed with their older stuff.

Could this be the end of good music, and basically life as we know it?

:wink:

Dr_Macphisto said:
Man, I was actually looking forward to this album too... it had better be better than everyone is saying.

It is better, most of these naysayers weren't fans in the first place. Go to Coldplaying.com and the reactions are overall very positive. Beware though, there are a lot of really naive and fairly stupid posters there, not at all like here. Makes me wonder if some of us are just too smart to be Coldplay fans. :wink:

forgive my ignorance but could anyone explain the term "lifestyle music". it's just if it's what i'm thinking then thom yorke is the biggest hypercrite i'v heard this year

it's funny how much hype this album is getting. i am remaining skeptical, i haven't heard the album yet but have heard the single. My local virgin megastore is holding a midnight opening for this album. Wouldn't it be embarrasing if this album went down as well as be here now by oasis (btw it flopped musically)

burns said:
forgive my ignorance but could anyone explain the term "lifestyle music". it's just if it's what i'm thinking then thom yorke is the biggest hypercrite i'v heard this year

Adult Contemporary music would be classied as such, so Thom Yorke is not being a hypocrite.

What do you guys want? Did people criticize and nitpick on The Joshua Tree as much as this?

Remember Achtung Baby was hated by a lot of people, it was even in a couple year end polls for the WORST album of the year.

X & Y is an amazing album.

you're comparing coldplay to u2's best work...with a straight face?

i'm sorry, but that's a bit much, yes?

like, a lot?

a lot of much, no?

yes?

would you please retract your statement, and issue an apology?

no?

yes?

what.

Back
Top Bottom