Coldplay album review mega-thread! - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2005, 08:23 AM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:18 AM
Actually - The Strokes "Room on Fire" is an AWESOME record. It was probably my most listend to non U2 album this past year. I consider it a record like The Stone Roses' first album - just start with track one and let it play.

The new Coldplay has about 7 songs that are great and one Masterpiece - A Message. No, they are not U2, but it is nice to finally have some bands competing for that #2 position in my library vacated that the Smiths and REM used to battle for.

I'd like to see Chris Martin limit the falsetto because he actually has a wonderful voice - see Until Kingdom Come. I like a strategically placed falsetto (Fly, Sometiomes...) - but not most of the song.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:28 AM   #77
The Fly

Local Time: 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blahblahblah
I like Radiohead.
Lets talk about them more. Gimme some more of those spinning plates live!

as for Coldplay.. steady decline for ~5 years.

Old 06-08-2005, 09:40 AM   #78
Refugee

Local Time: 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
Actually - The Strokes "Room on Fire" is an AWESOME record. It was probably my most listend to non U2 album this past year. I consider it a record like The Stone Roses' first album - just start with track one and let it play.

The new Coldplay has about 7 songs that are great and one Masterpiece - A Message. No, they are not U2, but it is nice to finally have some bands competing for that #2 position in my library vacated that the Smiths and REM used to battle for.

I'd like to see Chris Martin limit the falsetto because he actually has a wonderful voice - see Until Kingdom Come. I like a strategically placed falsetto (Fly, Sometiomes...) - but not most of the song.
i like room on fire too but i don't think that it deserved 5 stars. but that is neither here nor there i suppose.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:50 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:18 AM
The new Coldplay album reminds of a sound U2 would have gotten if they combined (a) The Unforgettable Fire Era with (b) The Zooropa Era and had (c) Thom Yorke as their singer. In other words, why the hell is there so much negativity on here for it?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:15 AM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by caragriff
for all those praying that these coldplay threads will go away.....just hang on until friday.
that's when all the "u2 setlists SUCK!" threads will take over our world again......

Old 06-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

check out this review:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...069110,00.html

Old 06-08-2005, 12:14 PM   #82
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO
check out this review:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...069110,00.html

so basically it's " i like the music but the lyrics suck big fat hairy toe".

instrumental album anyone????
Old 06-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #83
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by the tourist
The new Coldplay album reminds of a sound U2 would have gotten if they combined (a) The Unforgettable Fire Era with (b) The Zooropa Era and had (c) Thom Yorke as their singer. In other words, why the hell is there so much negativity on here for it?
have you actually listened to what Chris Martin is saying? it's like he got all his lyrics from Hallmark cards and Chicken Soup for the Soul Books, only not as original. just plain bad.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:10 PM   #84
Refugee

Local Time: 08:18 AM
Good album!!

I took a good 5 listens to get to the core of this album. It is sonically different than their previous two. Some great hooks...has kinda of a New Order/Joy Division/Interpol sound to it. I personally don't get the U2 comparisons. Lyrically kind of repetitive...and perhaps unispired....but in my opinion a very solid effort.

Coldplay will rule the world!
Old 06-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:18 AM
I purposely ignored all the Coldplay threads and waited for the CD to come out to make a fair judgement, and I really like the album. Not as much as the last one, but a very good record overall.

Old 06-08-2005, 02:30 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:18 AM
Here's another review, this one from Canada's National Post:

'Very loud for Coldplay is like a System of a Down ballad," Chris Martin said in our interview last month. True enough. But that doesn't make X&Y any less headache-inducing. Taken on their own, pretty well any one of its 13 tracks would make a worthy single -- starting slow and acoustic or with mild piano accompaniment, Martin splicing in his falsetto at appropriate moments, and then building to an epic chorus accompanied by the suitably massive guitar chords for which U2's The Edge should be getting royalties. But 13 singles do not an album make. And listening to Coldplay spending an entire disc trying to one-up Clocks becomes a tiring experience. At the start of each track, we hope in vain that maybe, just this once, they'll opt for moderation and tone it down -- or, if we're really lucky, go in a different direction entirely. But there's no room for subtlety or experimentation here -- these guys are so determined to conquer the world that they're busy driving their formula into the ground. As a result, even tracks that should be standouts -- Fix You and A Message, for instance, either of which sounds epic on its own -- get buried in all the sameness. Only on the hidden track, Til Kingdom Come, do they finally strip down to the basics and show a bit of (falsetto-free) soul. But by then it's too late. Over-thought, overwrought and over-produced, X&Y will probably sell a ton of copies -- but it still feels more like Coldplay's Be Here Now than their Joshua Tree.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:58 PM   #87
The Fly

i don't mind the record, 1 or 2 great songs, but when you read the interviews with the band with them saying it took 18 months for them to "perfect" this, it just makes me feel sorry for them.

kinda reminds me of when be here now (oasis)got released, it was ok, but doesn't hold a candle to thier previous work

p.s who else thinks that if they had put y in front of x the tracklisting would have been smoother (you need to get the album to understand)
Old 06-08-2005, 03:05 PM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

You know, I really do like X & Y, but Martin really is a bad lyricist. This has to be said. The lyrics to "Fix You" are truely cringeworthy.

"When you try your best but you dont succeed.
When you get what you want but not what you need.
When you feel so tired but you can't sleep.
Stuck in reverse...
And the tears coming streaming down your face.
When you leave something you cant replace.
When you love someone but it goes to waste.
Could it be worse. Lights will guide you home.
And ingnite your bones. And I will try to fix you."

Hmmm. Ick.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:27 PM   #89
War Child

Local Time: 12:18 PM
I'm really liking to album. I find 1-5 to be pretty perfect. Everything afterwards I haven't listened to that much, but they all just kinda sound the same. The last three songs (including the bonus track) are damn good as well too.

I find "A Message" to just be an attempt to mimic Green Eyes, though I like Green Eyes much better
Old 06-08-2005, 04:40 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

^^ but thats just one song

Tags
coldplay