Coldplay album review mega-thread! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2005, 01:38 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:31 AM
How about the Pitchfork review gang...

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record.../x-and-y.shtml

"In their seven years together, Coldplay have risen to monumental levels of popularity on a potent mixture of nice-guy charm, serviceable songwriting, and general inoffensiveness. Unfortunately, these aren't the kind of traits that often lead to interesting music. Not that the band hasn't taken the occasional stabs at creativity and innovation; it's just that those attempts have always been carefully measured, or even nervously self-conscious."

Old 06-07-2005, 02:04 PM   #47
War Child

Local Time: 11:31 AM
that Pitchfork review is spot on...

i guess i have to get used to hearing X&Y everywhere - Gap, Banana Republic, Elevators, Supermarkets, car commercials,etc...

but being constantly bombarded with it will only reinforce my belief that the songs are cheesy, trite, banal, cliche, and utterly boring. If this is what passes as a "masterpiece" these days, i am a bit worried.

and for the dude who said that there is U2, Coldplay, and everyone else, you obviously have very limited musical tastes. Is your third favorite band Keane by chance?

Old 06-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #48
The Fly

Local Time: 06:31 AM
Reminders of why Coldplay shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as U2

...Unless you're saying that they are U2 wannabes:

Rolling Stone

"Coldplay didn't seem destined for bigness. Their 2000 debut, Parachutes, was full of drizzly but pretty rock ballads that were almost memorable enough to prevent American listeners from confusing the band with Travis...In 2002, Coldplay released A Rush of Blood to the Head, which perfectly captured the heady feeling of a small band acting big...Whereas Rush of Blood was a nervy bid for bigness, X&Y is something less exciting. It's the serious sound of Martin trying to sing songs that match his stature. It's the sound of a blown-up band trying not to deflate."

New York Magazine
"Your level of interest in their music probably correlates with your willingness to be bored. "

Pitchfork
"Like Coldplay's two previous albums, only more so, X&Y is bland but never offensive, listenable but not memorable. "

The New York Times
"When he moans his verses, Mr. Martin can sound so sorry for himself that there's hardly room to sympathize for him, and when he's not mixing metaphors, he fearlessly slings clichés."

My sentiment exactly. There's a reason why X&Y is the U2 album U2 could never have made...'cause U2 doesn't make albums that suck.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #49
Acrobat

Why do all of you feel the need to compare. Different bands, different ideas, different goals.

Personally I think these critics are getting abit ahead of their selves and offering a baised review of an album that really is not what you are making it out to be.

I think some of these people need to check their baggage at the door and listen to it for what it is. A peice of music. Whether you like it or not, thats a different story, but I dont think the foum needs to here over and over again that it "sucks".

Personally I think merely the fact that they are inspiring reactions like this is something to be noted.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #50
War Child

deja vu
Old 06-07-2005, 02:39 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 06-07-2005, 02:41 PM   #52
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:31 AM
Coldplay has a new album out? I wonder why no one started a thread about it earlier?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:43 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by strannix
Coldplay has a new album out? I wonder why no one started a thread about it earlier?
Coldplay? What is this Coldplay you speak of?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:49 PM   #54
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF COLDPLAY!!!!!!!!111

THEY'RE THE GREATEST BAND ON THE HISTORY OF THE PLANET. WAY BETTER THAN THAT OTHER BAND CALLED YOU-TOO OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. COLDPLAY HAS COME OUT WITH A WHOPPING THREE AMAZING ALBUMS...WHICH AUTOMATICALLY PROPELS THEM TO THE STATUS OF BEST BAND ON EARTH.

HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE. THEY ARE THE ONLY THE BEST BAND EVER. THEY HAVE SO MANY CLASSICS WHICH WILL BE REMEMBERED FOR AGES. LIKE.... um...like.....
Old 06-07-2005, 03:03 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:31 PM
I like Radiohead.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #56
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:31 AM
Quote:

They're a band. A pretty good one, too, actually, although it seems like it's impossible to say so without offending half of the U2 universe.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by unosdostres14

YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF COLDPLAY!!!!!!!!111

THEY'RE THE GREATEST BAND ON THE HISTORY OF THE PLANET. WAY BETTER THAN THAT OTHER BAND CALLED YOU-TOO OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. COLDPLAY HAS COME OUT WITH A WHOPPING THREE AMAZING ALBUMS...WHICH AUTOMATICALLY PROPELS THEM TO THE STATUS OF BEST BAND ON EARTH.

HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE. THEY ARE THE ONLY THE BEST BAND EVER. THEY HAVE SO MANY CLASSICS WHICH WILL BE REMEMBERED FOR AGES. LIKE.... um...like.....
OMGWTF! I JUST TOTALLY REMEMBEREDDED! WHAT KIND OF NAME IS YOUTWO ANYWAY>!>?! THEIR SHIT! ANY BAND COULD BE BETTERER THEN THEM COZ TEHY SUCK! COLDPLAY RULES EVERYONE ELSE DROOLS HAHAHAH AODIMAODHAGD!

Old 06-07-2005, 03:20 PM   #58
Refugee

Quote:

OMGWTF! I JUST TOTALLY REMEMBEREDDED! WHAT KIND OF NAME IS YOUTWO ANYWAY>!>?! THEIR SHIT! ANY BAND COULD BE BETTERER THEN THEM COZ TEHY SUCK! COLDPLAY RULES EVERYONE ELSE DROOLS HAHAHAH AODIMAODHAGD!

I KNOW WTFFFF!!!!!1.....YOU TOO IS SUCH A STUPID NAME. AND I HEARD THEIR ONE SONG THEY HAD CALLED VERTIGO ON THAT IPOD COMMERCIAL AND IT IS SOOO BAD. AND I'M PRETTY SURE THEY DON'T HAVE ANY OTHER FAMOUS SONGS WHICH MEANS THEY MUST SUCK PRETTY BAD!!!!!!11111. COLDPLAY ON THE OTHER HAND HAS HAD SOOO MANY FAMOUS SONGS. I THINK I'M GONNA GO LISTEN TO THEM RIGHT NOW.

ten minutes later.

ZZZZZzzzzzz.....
Old 06-07-2005, 03:20 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

I had flashes of Zooropa during square one when he sings I need a compass, draw me a map
Old 06-07-2005, 03:47 PM   #60
War Child

Quote:

COLDPLAY RULES EVERYONE ELSE DROOLS HAHAHAH AODIMAODHAGD!

OMFRTGSEG!!!1!!111 I THouGHt UUUU MeANT DE OThA COLDPLAY

THIS iS DiFF'RenT ie:

COLDPLAY R0X0Rs TEH BIG 1 !!!1!11

Tags
coldplay