Coldplay album review mega-thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheFly7 said:

Remember Achtung Baby was hated by a lot of people, it was even in a couple year end polls for the WORST album of the year.

But there's a massive difference between Achtung Baby and X&Y that makes that comparison null and void. Achtung Baby is brilliant.

In my opinion. :wink:

Zoomerang96 said:
you're comparing coldplay to u2's best work...with a straight face?

i'm sorry, but that's a bit much, yes?

like, a lot?

a lot of much, no?

yes?

would you please retract your statement, and issue an apology?

no?

yes?

what.

I'll have some of what you're smoking.

OK?

Maybe?

No?

I haven't heard the whole album, but I really like "Speed of Sound". Tomorrow is the sale for the tour and I'm planning to try to score one. Perhaps this is rather stupid before I've heard the album, but the damn thing hasn't been released. Decisions, decisions..............

speed of sound , sounds like the same old rehashed crap from this band, they have no originality or ability to challenge themselves artistically.... just like Dmb. he is even more over and overated

I haven't heard it, but my berst friend is Coldplay fan and she said me:

"it's the same thing, maybe you will not like it"

yes, a Coldplay fan

verte76 said:
I haven't heard the whole album, but I really like "Speed of Sound".

If you like Speed of Sound, you will LOVE X&Y. Speed of Sound is far from being the best track of the album.
I'll aslo try to get tickets today for the Montréal show.

Badyouken said:

If you like Speed of Sound, you will LOVE X&Y. Speed of Sound is far from being the best track of the album.
I'll aslo try to get tickets today for the Montréal show.

That's what I'm thinking. I anticipating liking X&Y. I loved AROBTTH, and if it's like that, I'll like this album. It might not be the greatest album in the history of rock 'n roll, but hey, an album doesn't have to be AB for me to like it.

AROBTTH will be hard to top, but I remember when I first got it I HATED it and was bored out of my mind. I rediscovered it months later when Clocks started getting play (though now i hate the song for that very reason), and it became a staple of my early 2003 life. So, perhaps I will have some deja vu with this one too.

i agree with the review, to me it's also nothing new, nothing special, just regular coldplay--which isn't all bad, but i think Martin's boasting to compare his band with and exceed u2,is a bit too much!!

tilen said:
i agree with the review, to me it's also nothing new, nothing special, just regular coldplay--which isn't all bad, but i think Martin's boasting to compare his band with and exceed u2,is a bit too much!!

Yeah, it's definitely excessive. I'm glad I landed a ticket for the show in Birmingham. I still haven't gotten X&Y, but I think I'll like it. AROBTTH knocked me out, especially "Clocks".

U2
Coldplay
Everyone Else

This album IS brilliant. It took a while for it to grow on me, but I am now addicted. Coldplay is the only band today that even approaches U2's class.

One reason Coldplay may never reach U2's status is because there is only one Bono (nothing against Chris Martin).

I am enjoying the album. It is not a master-piece, nor will it reinvent the music world, but I am having a good time with it.

As for U2-Coldplay comparisions, just let each do their own thing.

I'm just sad that it's not as good as I expected it to be. And I even payed it more then I should... :(

It will grow on me soon, but not enough... (not to a great album).

sorry...

How about the Pitchfork review gang...

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/c/coldplay/x-and-y.shtml

"In their seven years together, Coldplay have risen to monumental levels of popularity on a potent mixture of nice-guy charm, serviceable songwriting, and general inoffensiveness. Unfortunately, these aren't the kind of traits that often lead to interesting music. Not that the band hasn't taken the occasional stabs at creativity and innovation; it's just that those attempts have always been carefully measured, or even nervously self-conscious."

that Pitchfork review is spot on...

i guess i have to get used to hearing X&Y everywhere - Gap, Banana Republic, Elevators, Supermarkets, car commercials,etc...

but being constantly bombarded with it will only reinforce my belief that the songs are cheesy, trite, banal, cliche, and utterly boring. If this is what passes as a "masterpiece" these days, i am a bit worried.

and for the dude who said that there is U2, Coldplay, and everyone else, you obviously have very limited musical tastes. Is your third favorite band Keane by chance?

Reminders of why Coldplay shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as U2

...Unless you're saying that they are U2 wannabes:

Rolling Stone

"Coldplay didn't seem destined for bigness. Their 2000 debut, Parachutes, was full of drizzly but pretty rock ballads that were almost memorable enough to prevent American listeners from confusing the band with Travis...In 2002, Coldplay released A Rush of Blood to the Head, which perfectly captured the heady feeling of a small band acting big...Whereas Rush of Blood was a nervy bid for bigness, X&Y is something less exciting. It's the serious sound of Martin trying to sing songs that match his stature. It's the sound of a blown-up band trying not to deflate."

New York Magazine
"Your level of interest in their music probably correlates with your willingness to be bored. "

Pitchfork
"Like Coldplay's two previous albums, only more so, X&Y is bland but never offensive, listenable but not memorable. "

The New York Times
"When he moans his verses, Mr. Martin can sound so sorry for himself that there's hardly room to sympathize for him, and when he's not mixing metaphors, he fearlessly slings clichés."

My sentiment exactly. There's a reason why X&Y is the U2 album U2 could never have made...'cause U2 doesn't make albums that suck.
:wink:

Last edited:
Why do all of you feel the need to compare. Different bands, different ideas, different goals.

Personally I think these critics are getting abit ahead of their selves and offering a baised review of an album that really is not what you are making it out to be.

I think some of these people need to check their baggage at the door and listen to it for what it is. A peice of music. Whether you like it or not, thats a different story, but I dont think the foum needs to here over and over again that it "sucks".

Personally I think merely the fact that they are inspiring reactions like this is something to be noted.

Last edited:
strannix said:
Coldplay has a new album out? I wonder why no one started a thread about it earlier? :shrug:

Coldplay? What is this Coldplay you speak of? :scratch:

GibsonGirl said:

YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF COLDPLAY!!!!!!!!111

THEY'RE THE GREATEST BAND ON THE HISTORY OF THE PLANET. WAY BETTER THAN THAT OTHER BAND CALLED YOU-TOO OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. COLDPLAY HAS COME OUT WITH A WHOPPING THREE AMAZING ALBUMS...WHICH AUTOMATICALLY PROPELS THEM TO THE STATUS OF BEST BAND ON EARTH.

HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE. THEY ARE THE ONLY THE BEST BAND EVER. THEY HAVE SO MANY CLASSICS WHICH WILL BE REMEMBERED FOR AGES. LIKE.... um...like.....:huh:

GibsonGirl said:

They're a band. A pretty good one, too, actually, although it seems like it's impossible to say so without offending half of the U2 universe.

unosdostres14 said:

YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF COLDPLAY!!!!!!!!111

THEY'RE THE GREATEST BAND ON THE HISTORY OF THE PLANET. WAY BETTER THAN THAT OTHER BAND CALLED YOU-TOO OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. COLDPLAY HAS COME OUT WITH A WHOPPING THREE AMAZING ALBUMS...WHICH AUTOMATICALLY PROPELS THEM TO THE STATUS OF BEST BAND ON EARTH.

HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE. THEY ARE THE ONLY THE BEST BAND EVER. THEY HAVE SO MANY CLASSICS WHICH WILL BE REMEMBERED FOR AGES. LIKE.... um...like.....:huh:

OMGWTF! I JUST TOTALLY REMEMBEREDDED! WHAT KIND OF NAME IS YOUTWO ANYWAY>!>?! THEIR SHIT! ANY BAND COULD BE BETTERER THEN THEM COZ TEHY SUCK! COLDPLAY RULES EVERYONE ELSE DROOLS HAHAHAH AODIMAODHAGD!

GibsonGirl said:

OMGWTF! I JUST TOTALLY REMEMBEREDDED! WHAT KIND OF NAME IS YOUTWO ANYWAY>!>?! THEIR SHIT! ANY BAND COULD BE BETTERER THEN THEM COZ TEHY SUCK! COLDPLAY RULES EVERYONE ELSE DROOLS HAHAHAH AODIMAODHAGD!

I KNOW WTFFFF!!!!!1.....YOU TOO IS SUCH A STUPID NAME. AND I HEARD THEIR ONE SONG THEY HAD CALLED VERTIGO ON THAT IPOD COMMERCIAL AND IT IS SOOO BAD. AND I'M PRETTY SURE THEY DON'T HAVE ANY OTHER FAMOUS SONGS WHICH MEANS THEY MUST SUCK PRETTY BAD!!!!!!11111. COLDPLAY ON THE OTHER HAND HAS HAD SOOO MANY FAMOUS SONGS. I THINK I'M GONNA GO LISTEN TO THEM RIGHT NOW.

ten minutes later.

:yawn: ZZZZZzzzzzz.....

Back
Top Bottom