Coldplay album review mega-thread! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2005, 06:34 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 12:50 AM
My take on X & Y

I was not impressed at all after the first 3 listens, but in hindsight that was because I was waiting to be impressed. I stuck it on as background music while I was surfing the Net and it leaped out at me (not literally of course!). It is less melodic and immediate as the other 2, but I think it is a brave and ambitious album that will ensure their longevity. I think it will be a blockbuster, but fans reactions will be mixed, and the next album will sell less, at least initially. It is a moody, atmospheric and EUROPEAN sounding album, which is why I am not surprised a lot of Americans hate it. I am not being xenphobic but from surfing the Net and reading reviews of U2 and other artists, it seems that every time a band gets experimental Americans get a little cold.

Anyway, I like it a lot, and I will play the hell out of it as much if not more as the other 2. BTW, the first 2 albums took a few listens to really grab me too.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:48 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

After having listened to the album (non-stop) for a few days, there are two songs which I love ('A Message' and 'Swallowed in the Sea'), and i'm impartial to the rest. That pretty much follows suit with how I have felt about the last two albums.

This one definitely has a 'I have a daughter and a wife who I love very much' feel to it in the songwriting. I never thought they'd take that direction (well, Chris Martin, at least).

Old 06-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #18
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:50 PM
From what''s being said here, can we just call this album Pop?

jp
Old 06-02-2005, 09:29 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 07:50 PM
can we all stop overrating this band, can martin write any lyrics with depth and value instead of tired arse love songs. so sick of hearing about them as the next U2 , please they are soooooo overated with their songs having no lasting playability. If i hear trouble or yellow or anysong by them except the new one which sounds like an old one, i'm gonna puke. Yes they create nice melodies and at first it was ok , now its soooooooooooooooo old of a style and done to death.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:23 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:50 AM
I wonder how many people actually listened to the album, rather than quote other people about it.

"Coldplay is a band that at least admits borrowing from us." - Adam Clayton
Old 06-03-2005, 08:53 AM   #21
Acrobat

Yeah, Coldplay is "lifestyle music", but to me Radiohead has become worse, "beard stroking music." I'll probably still pick up X&Y despite my reservations about it.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:53 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
I wonder how many people actually listened to the album, rather than quote other people about it.

"Coldplay is a band that at least admits borrowing from us." - Adam Clayton
Old 06-03-2005, 09:21 AM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Man, I was actually looking forward to this album too... it had better be better than everyone is saying.

It seems all these big bands are releasing albums currently, and I am a little let down by all of them... The new DMB album is not very memorable. The White Stripes new song is total garbage. The Foo Fighters song doesn't really go anywhere or do anything for me. Billy Corgan's new single is pretty god-awful. I'm personally not too big on the new Oasis album, though it is being raved on here. The Wallflowers new album is not up to speed with their older stuff.

Could this be the end of good music, and basically life as we know it?

Old 06-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:50 PM
After listening to it, I gave it 3.5 stars. There's some good tracks on there, but it's not as good as their last one.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:41 AM   #25
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_Macphisto
Man, I was actually looking forward to this album too... it had better be better than everyone is saying.

It is better, most of these naysayers weren't fans in the first place. Go to Coldplaying.com and the reactions are overall very positive. Beware though, there are a lot of really naive and fairly stupid posters there, not at all like here. Makes me wonder if some of us are just too smart to be Coldplay fans.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:24 AM   #26
The Fly

Quote:
Could this be the end of good music?
You kid, but I am beginning to worry about this.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:50 AM   #27
The Fly

forgive my ignorance but could anyone explain the term "lifestyle music". it's just if it's what i'm thinking then thom yorke is the biggest hypercrite i'v heard this year

it's funny how much hype this album is getting. i am remaining skeptical, i haven't heard the album yet but have heard the single. My local virgin megastore is holding a midnight opening for this album. Wouldn't it be embarrasing if this album went down as well as be here now by oasis (btw it flopped musically)
Old 06-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by burns
forgive my ignorance but could anyone explain the term "lifestyle music". it's just if it's what i'm thinking then thom yorke is the biggest hypercrite i'v heard this year
Adult Contemporary music would be classied as such, so Thom Yorke is not being a hypocrite.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #29
The Fly

Local Time: 05:50 PM
What do you guys want? Did people criticize and nitpick on The Joshua Tree as much as this?

Remember Achtung Baby was hated by a lot of people, it was even in a couple year end polls for the WORST album of the year.

X & Y is an amazing album.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:08 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

you're comparing coldplay to u2's best work...with a straight face?

i'm sorry, but that's a bit much, yes?

like, a lot?

a lot of much, no?

yes?

would you please retract your statement, and issue an apology?

no?

yes?

what.

Tags
coldplay