Cold Roses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis Presley

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Whatcha think?

So far I like it, makes me feel like the old Whiskeytown days, and thats a good thing. I could do without Ryan latest few albums.

This shouldnt have been a double disc though, id say half of it is very good......

I still need to buy it. I saw him last Wednesday, and sitting in front of me were the parents of the producer of the album. They had backstage passes of course, we talked a lot--they were really cool. They promised to tell Ryan that Kristina said hi :wink:

Love it, I agree it's very Whiskeytown, but I do love his new albums also.

My favorite song so far is "How Do You Keep Love Alive".

I can't belive they're not playing Chicago.:madspit:

Man, I still can't give it proper listens yet. The only place I have a working CD player is in my car. :crack: I've been focusing on Disc 1 for the most part..."Meadowlake Street" was my favorite...then "Cherry Lane"...but I think "When Will You Come Back Home?" is my current fave. Disc 2 is being neglected right now...mainly being popped in for quick spins of "Easy Plateau", Let It Ride" and "Dance All Night". I don't really like "Rosebud" a whole lot right now...I think that will end up being my least favorite track...or it's gonna be a grower. "Friends" used to be "For Beth" and was previously only found on the unofficially released Swedish Sessions, and it has been played live twice, once in 2001, once in 2002. "Dance All Night" was never previously released...only played live at various dates in 2001 and 2002. In speaking of it, Ryan once said, "The band get choked up about it. we wrote it with a friend, a mutual friend of the whole band that passed away early this year and we just sorta stopped playing it." That has always been one of my favorite unreleased songs...I never thought it would get a proper release, so it's great to see.

I have been loving cold roses so very much. It took a couple days to get completely into it. Definitley brings me back to whisky town days. I think its one of those records that needs to be listened to as a full project to really love. Its not a record where you can scan through. One of my favourites is cherry lane. Its has the best ending. "I could never get close enough - I could never get close enough to you" So amazing. Makes me feel so good. The groove of that part almost feels U2 to me. As far as some of my other favourites, I would have to say, Now that your gone (even though I think I liked it better on the EP with just the acoustic guitar, piano & strings), Sweet Illusions, How do you keep love alive, is so beautiful. Let it ride is just great. My favorite line is "Tennesee's my brother to my sister carolina". Love dance all night, and absolutley love Life is beautiful with the line "here are them bells ringing out on the streets" (and brad is hitting the bells on the cymbals to match the vocal - thats great) All in all I think its a great record, that I listen to throughout. I can't wait for the next two we get real soon!

awesome album. saw him in buffalo and toronto, and between the two gigs he played almost the entire thing live. definitely like "how do you keep love alive" and "mockingbird" the best.

I just got it. Holy crap, Ryan Adams recorded an album that doesn't suck. It's like it's 2001 all over again. I half expect to wake up tomorrow, go to high school, and not get laid. Hey, guys, what do you think of Radiohead's new one? "Pyramid Song" is awesome. And I hear Chris Cornell and the Rage guys are going to cut an album. Man, that's going to be awesome and totally not boring, derivative cockrock. And I just ordered my Elevation DVD; I heard the band is going to cut a new album right after the tour! It's gonna be great!

Yeah, there's some subpar material, but that's just his style. Even Heartbreaker had some boring parts. Overall, there are enough bright spots to make the whole thing enjoyable.

It's "only" 1:16:01, though, so it didn't really need to be a double album (on CD anyway; a lot of doubles on vinyl are singles on CD, like London Calling and Exile On Main Street).

Last edited:
typhoon said:
I just got it. Holy crap, Ryan Adams recorded an album that doesn't suck. It's like it's 2001 all over again. I half expect to wake up tomorrow, go to high school, and not get laid.

That should make me mad...but it's too funny. :lmao: :heart:

I finally got Cold Roses. Enjoying it, but it's not stunning me on any particular track. Cherry Lane and the title track are probably my favourites. :up:

Bonochick said:
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals are gonna performing on Letterman tonight. :hyper:

Very excited for that! What do you think he is going to do. I'm thinking Let it Ride, but who knows with Ryan. I also was thinking Magnolia Mountain. Bonochick, we must chat. You seem like such a big Ryan fan. I think we would get along great!!

Bri

Bonochick said:
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals are gonna performing on Letterman tonight. :hyper:

I hope he plays something that hasn't even come out yet, ala what he's been doing on tour :drool:

U2IrishOne said:

Bonochick, we must chat. You seem like such a big Ryan fan. I think we would get along great!!

Hit me up anytime! :wave:

I didn't get to see the performance last night...but Dad taped it for me and is coming for a visit Sunday, so he'll bring the tape. :happy:

JacksonvilleChurch.jpg

Bonochick said:

Hit me up anytime! :wave:

I didn't get to see the performance last night...but Dad taped it for me and is coming for a visit Sunday, so he'll bring the tape. :happy:

JacksonvilleChurch.jpg

That's the funniest sign.

Good performance last night, at least I think that was Ryan under there.

I liked the song a lot but I'm a little iffy on the new look. (Though I must say it's the first time I've ever fought with my dad about Ryan Adams' beard. He liked it, I didn't.)

I still haven't seen the performance...the pics people posted elsewhere were red x's. :mad:

Dad called me up and asked if I'd seen it yet, and he said that Ryan "looked doped up and was being eaten by his hair". :lol:

Bonochick said:
I still haven't seen the performance...the pics people posted elsewhere were red x's. :mad:

Dad called me up and asked if I'd seen it yet, and he said that Ryan "looked doped up and was being eaten by his hair". :lol:

I ran into Ryan at a liquor store in toronto, and didn't even recognize him because of his moppy hair!

After buying this a week ago, I finally started listening to it Thursday night and I haven't been able to stop. I think the songs are just gorgeous. I was only familiar with Ryan's work from buying 'Rock N Roll,' so I was worried I might not like his country side. But dang, I quite like it. So many good songs, but I'd say my favorites so far are Magnolia Mountain, Sweet Illusions, Let It Ride, and Mockingbird.

One interesting sidenote: While listening to Disc 1 in the car, I thought he was saying "Musical Soda" instead of "Beautiful Sorta." :laugh:

Oh, yeah, I don't think RNR is a proper representation of him for somebody looking to get a feel of Ryan. If you dig the country stuff, you should get Heartbreaker...or check out some Whiskeytown albums.

One interesting sidenote: While listening to Disc 1 in the car, I thought he was saying "Musical Soda" instead of "Beautiful Sorta." :laugh:

Me too!!!!!!! Someone else said that they sing it as "Eating Disorder". :lol:

i saw Ryan Adams and the Cardinals on Saturday night in NJ and it was an incredible show. they played for over three hours. i am not into the whole Phish/Dead scene, but there were some very cool jams too - great guitar work. one of the best concerts i have seen this year. he was also extremely gracious and in a very good mood....i have heard horror stories about some of his breakdowns/bad behavior, but i didn't detact none of that...

Bonochick said:
Oh, yeah, I don't think RNR is a proper representation of him for somebody looking to get a feel of Ryan. If you dig the country stuff, you should get Heartbreaker...or check out some Whiskeytown albums.

Duly noted. I will put them on my list of albums to check out. :)

I'm gonna see him at the edmonton folk fest.
I know Heartbreaker (his best) and gold and cold roses well.

Are there are good songs I should familiarize myself with in between? His ejaculation of albums over the past two years have rarely appealed to me since it seems he emphasizes the ALT in alt-country, and he does SO much better the other way around

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom