Cold Case and u2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Varitek

Blue Crack Addict
I just saw a preview for a Cold Case ep airing in a week or two: "a memorable episode with music from one of the world's greatest bands" with Window in the Skies playing along in the background.

Made me want to puke.

Here's an article. Is this the same show? (I don't watch much TV, sorry.)

U2, murder: the oddly perfect match
Michael Cooper
Issue date: 1/26/07 Section: Lifestyle
It is always special when a show breaks from its usual narrative form.

With "Cold Case," this occurs a few times per year when an episode features the music of a single artist or group instead of several songs from the same time period by different singers.

On the heels of the all Tim McGraw, Bruce Springsteen and Johnny Cash episodes comes the latest incarnation, masterfully incorporating the music of U2.

"Cold Case" is a drama that follows Philadelphia homicide detectives as they crack unsolved murders of yesteryear. In the all-U2 episode, written by executive producer Veena Sud, the team tries to connect two drug-related murders that happened at 8:03 a.m. on the same day in 2002.

With both a wealthy white teenager and a poor African American teenager as two murder victims, the episode provides a valuable commentary on the negative effects drugs can have, regardless of race or socioeconomic background.

The music of U2 is therefore very appropriate in this episode because the band consistently conveys messages of individuality and a firm belief in helping fellow humans. While many of the band's most famous songs are spotlighted, such as "Beautiful Day" and "One," U2's meaningful lyrics and Bono's incredible voice heightens the drama in the episode and communicates the characters' deep feelings.

Some may find the ending a bit farfetched, but that does not matter: The episode and its message are powerful enough.

The episode also stars the two women of the homicide team. In many scenes, Lilly Rush (Kathryn Morris) once again becomes the tough, no-nonsense interrogator she was in the first two seasons. And detective Kat Miller (Tracie Thoms) also gets the chance to be front and center, effectively adding another dimension to her complex character.

While this may not be the best single-artist episode the show has had, it is strong and uses U2's music in a wise and meaningful manner. And isn't that "the sweetest thing?"

I don't see what's so bad about this. It might be pretty cool. I only watch Cold Case once in a blue moon, but they seem to do a good job of matching songs with the emotion of a particular scene. I've never seen any of the episodes where they used songs by just one artists instead of a variety of artists, though.

I like Cold Case ok. Not my favorite, but there are far worse crime dramas out there. I didn't really get what the U2 song had to do with it, the commercial was kinda strange, but a good show + a great song = :up: :D

All of MLK - played in the background.
This is a really sad show about drug addiction, effects on children and murder.

With or Without You playing now
The entire sound track, with the exception of a few random instrumental moments, was U2.

I liked when they played almost all of WOWY at the end, it was cool, but too bad they didin't let the song just finish up the credits, it was almost at the end anyways.

Of course I hate not hearing any u2 song finish to the end, but with that one, it's sacrilege! In all though, I liked the way they did it.

I love "Cold Case" and watch it every Sunday. I thought the appropriate songs were chosen. Now if U2 songs were showcased on a crappy show like "According to Jim" I might be a be pissed.

Umm on U2's website. It talked about this and they said there was a suprise besides the songs playing??? Anyone who watched it know what it was?

I found the quote on the site:

Sunday's show, '8:03am', is all U2 and features Beautiful Day, Window in the Skies... well, we don't want to spoil the surprise. Tune in to catch the rest.

I think they just meant they didn't want to spoil which songs were going to be played. It was quite surprising (though very fitting) to hear Bad, MLK, and Running to Stand Still. When it was over, I went "I am SO glad they didn't play One!"

Ah thanks DOL, makes sense now. And I didn't even notice that they didn't play One! I was so glad to hear the ones they did play, amazing that MLK got played all the way through. I still think they should have let WOWY finish up the credits, would have been a nice effect, but I'm still glad they played most of the song.

Back
Top Bottom