Coffin Bay, South Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It just seems hilarious to me. My impression of missionary work is that the first priority is to help people in need, not cosy Westerners, and only secondly to convert. Or more to the point, to let the good deeds do the preaching for them. What's that quote? I think it's St Francis of Assisi; "Preach the gospel; if necessary, use words." One of my Catholic friends likes to quote it so I should know it! In any case, this so-called missionary work just seems to turn the whole thing on its head; beat people over the head with religion, and maybe help them if it comes up. It'd be one thing if they were going to work with the homeless or whatever, but out of all those I've known, they haven't.

You hit the nail on the head, there.

Beliefs and lifestyle are what make a Mormon. We were raised protestant but only went to church when we were little. Then when we were all older, we got mixed up with the evangelicals. My sister became a Mormon because the missionaries were hot. She started hanging out with them and they eventually converted her. I think now she stays because she'd made so many Mormon friends. They tend to be snobbish uppity people, like herself.

And to Ax, yes, the missionaries came from Utah to Kentucky. Christians send missionaries to the dark corners of the world. Mormons send missionaries to populous western cities, because the crowd they go after are Christians/agnostics who already have an understanding of biblical beliefs.

Ah, right...

Maybe Christians think it's easier converting people who've never seen the outside of their village, and who are receiving aid from organisations with a religious agenda...

Mormons only help themselves/those they're desperate to convert. They payed for my sister to move to Utah and got her a place to stay, but that was when they already had her in their clutches.

The number one goal of the church is conversion. They actually have tricks they use to get your name and address. They advertise free gifts of bibles and Christian type movies, just to get you to call and give your info. Then instead of mailing the stuff, they send missionaries to hand deliver it, along with the Book of Mormon and try to convert you.

Maybe Christians think it's easier converting people who've never seen the outside of their village, and who are receiving aid from organisations with a religious agenda...

The cynicism probably isn't that misplaced in some cases. Even during my religious period, I was very skeptical of missionary work. A lot of what people at my high school did seemed self-congratulatory rather than focusing on the needs of the people they purported to help. It made me very uncomfortable.

Ali, I was gonna PM you, but changed my mind. Not as important as I thought after I typed it out. :)

Mormons only help themselves/those they're desperate to convert. They payed for my sister to move to Utah and got her a place to stay, but that was when they already had her in their clutches.

The number one goal of the church is conversion. They actually have tricks they use to get your name and address. They advertise free gifts of bibles and Christian type movies, just to get you to call and give your info. Then instead of mailing the stuff, they send missionaries to hand deliver it, along with the Book of Mormon and try to convert you.

I can confirm this. I've started having fun with the Mormon missionaries. Saying you're an atheist strikes fear deep in their hearts. One day I'm going to go to the door with an inverted cross and tell them I was just on my way out the door to Black Mass.

:mad: Ok, I JUST got annoying bastards 4yr old molly-coddled daughter to sleep while he's off hunting with mr G. Now neighbour has decided it's time to rev the shit out of his dirt bike.....If he wakes little miss precious I'll cut his balls off.

:madwife:

But I am a happy girl today apart from that!! :giggle:

I can confirm this. I've started having fun with the Mormon missionaries. Saying you're an atheist strikes fear deep in their hearts. One day I'm going to go to the door with an inverted cross and tell them I was just on my way out the door to Black Mass.

U-Wen and I saw some Mormon missionaries go past us while we were having dinner last week - ironically a lengthy theological discussion. We both tried to go after them to see what kind of fun we could have toying with them, but alas, they disappeared.

The cynicism probably isn't that misplaced in some cases. Even during my religious period, I was very skeptical of missionary work. A lot of what people at my high school did seemed self-congratulatory rather than focusing on the needs of the people they purported to help. It made me very uncomfortable.

I really don't approve of religious-based aid organisations. I was quite miffed that World Vision is part of the ONE/MPH thing, I did one of those stupid slacktivism e-petition things and found myself posting from the World Vision site. :grumpy:
There should be no other agenda or ulterior motives when you're helping people.

I've been told one way to make sure they never knock on your door again is to open it naked, covered in something red, holding a dead chicken...
"Oh sorry, we were just in the middle of conducting a satanic ritual... say, neither of you are virgins, by any chance...?"

Maybe that was the JWs... :hmm:

:mad: Ok, I JUST got annoying bastards 4yr old molly-coddled daughter to sleep while he's off hunting with mr G. Now neighbour has decided it's time to rev the shit out of his dirt bike.....If he wakes little miss precious I'll cut his balls off.

:madwife:

But I am a happy girl today apart from that!! :giggle:

:uhoh:

Hey there :hug:

I really don't approve of religious-based aid organisations. I was quite miffed that World Vision is part of the ONE/MPH thing, I did one of those stupid slacktivism e-petition things and found myself posting from the World Vision site. :grumpy:
There should be no other agenda or ulterior motives when you're helping people.

I've no problem if people are motivated to do charity work because the Gospel commandments about helping the poor, feeding the starving inspire them to get out there. Whatever compels you, you know? But if you're just doing it as a cover to advance your religious agenda, then that's just insincere and rather dodgy.

I've been told one way to make sure they never knock on your door again is to open it naked, covered in something red, holding a dead chicken...
"Oh sorry, we were just in the middle of conducting a satanic ritual... say, neither of you are virgins, by any chance...?"

Maybe that was the JWs... :hmm:
Well the Mormons would definitely be virgins. They're not allowed to get married until after they finish their missions.

I usually just engage them in a religious debate and use my extensive biblical knowledge to shoot down any point they make.

I've no problem if people are motivated to do charity work because the Gospel commandments about helping the poor, feeding the starving inspire them to get out there. Whatever compels you, you know? But if you're just doing it as a cover to advance your religious agenda, then that's just insincere and rather dodgy.

The thing is, I dunno if I can trust that they're not pushing anything... even if they do it with the best of intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom