Cockplay, Scotland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I went to something like Kryal Castle when I was a kid... it might even have been Kryal Castle, but my dodgy memory was sure the castle place I went was in Queensland. I have a little flag from there, somewhere at my parents' place... :scratch:

Awesome. God, I'm jealous of how he varies up his sets. I've never understood why U2 don't do it - not just from a fan's perspective, but from the perspective of keeping it interesting for yourself. I mean, the one time they did feel the need to do it to avoid insanity, we got LOVETOWN!

You know, the whole thing with the lyric argument, Bono's seen the way Bruce does it, I don't know why he doesn't try it; Bruce has a teleprompter flush with the floor because he forgets lyrics as much as Bono does it, but no one notices for the most part when Bruce does it, because he USES A TELEPROMPTER

Ok guys, I found the story...it's REALLY long...it's worth it though:

02.10.75 Milwaukee, WI, intro to ´The E Street Shuffle´
´´Are you loose ? (cheers)....(the music starts)....sit back, I´m gonna have a heart attack (chuckles)....oh damn....oh damn.....(chuckles) yeah....let´s see if we get (?) let the band do its thing, give me the beat, Max....oh, we´re gonna get to that, don´t you sweat it (chuckles) alright ? (cheers) don´t sweat it, ah, hell....(chuckles) alright now....wait a minute, the band´s gonna do something here....just got it like, yeah, that´s it, that´s nice.....oh yeah....hit me, Roy (Roy starts playing)....BAM !....oh yeah....(sings to himself) help me with it, boys....it´s alright....said it´s alright, if it´s all night....says it´s alright, alright....that´s it....hit me again, here, BAM !....gonna tell you a story tonight....gonna tell you a story about.....about four years ago....me and Steve, uh, and Miami Steve here, me and Miami Steve and Garry, we had, Garry Tallent, the bass player....we had, we had a band, we had a band back in Asbury Park, we had, we´ve had a band for a long time, you know....we´ve had bands for like, (?) 15 and 16....you know, yeah, way back, you know, who´s from Jersey here ? (cheers) who, who the hell´s from Milwaukee then ? (chuckles) alright, but it´s like we had a band and it was like, it was like in the summertime.....and we were trying, we were trying to get (chuckles) we were trying to get a job, you know, now at the time, it was, we couldn´t get any jobs because....like at the time there was this big thing coming down from Long Island, all these bands were coming down from Long Island, right, and they was gigging all down along the Jersey coast and it was hard for local bands to get jobs, you know, ´less you was doing this Top 40 kind of thing, you know, so, but me and Steve and Garry had a band, we figured we had to get a gig somewhere, in some club no matter what, you know, so we figured we was gonna go searching club to club on Saturday night when they should be doing all the business and we was gonna find out the emptiest club in town, we was gonna tell the guy we´d come in and play for him so, so it was a Saturday night, was, was, was about, was 11.30, was around 11 o´clock and, uh, we walked in, we walk in this place, place called the Student Prince, we walk in, there was nobody in this place at all, there was like, like about ten people in the place, you know, it was like just ten people at the bar and there was some guy tending bar, right, some, some heavy, heavy cat and we said ´Listen, man, where´s, where´s the bar owner ?´, right, he said....that´s what they do, you see, (?) they go like that, that means, that means he´s down at the end of the bar, you see, that´s like, now, the bar owners in Jersey, these cats, the guys that ain´t, that ain´t got the big enough bars to have their own office, they always sit down in the dark end of the bar, you see, way down in the dark end, so me and Steve was there so we hussled down the end and we´re there and he was sitting there, this cat, a blonde-haired dude, his name was Bob Reed, was a brick layer in the daytime, he´d just bought this bar and he was losing, losing his bar, just bought this bar, he was losing all his money, you know, so we said ´Listen, man, we got a, we got a band and, uh, we´re looking for a gig and you got nobody in here´....we find out this guy, this guy, he hates kids....he hates music, right, he hates, this dude hated everything, right, except, except he didn´t hate money, that´s right (chuckles) and so we told him we´d come in and we´d play for the door so the next week he said, he finally said ´Alright´, we came in, we played for the door, came out to ´bout 13 dollars or something, you know, and we split it up between us, the next week it came out to ´bout 25 dollars and it went on and on, took out alright....except we played there for about five months, right, like four nights a week and we (?) didn´t seem like....we just wasn´t getting someplace and you get real discouraged, how many, how many people played in a band out there ? (some yells) right, you know....that´s like, so we´d like, 4 o´clock in the morning I´d be sitting at the table looking at his face, he´d be looking at my face and we´d say ´Man, what´s the matter with us, how come we ain´t got records out, how come ain´t we, you know, how come ain´t we like doing all this kind of stuff ? (?)´, you go through this thing....so we decided we was missing something....now we couldn´t figure out what it was because....we had guys in the band that could all play good (?) they played pretty bad, had this guy named Mad Dog, used to, was playing the drums for us, he played on the first albums....this cat Davey on the piano, we had all guys that could play...and the bass player had long hair, right, we had like, so we figured we, we had the teen appeal, we had everything covered, you know....but still we couldn´t get no place, we couldn´t get, like people telling us ´Man, I´m gonna bring down, tonight you guys better play good because, ´cause I´m gonna bring down the manager from the Byrds is gonna come to, come and see you, right´....now, it´s like nobody come to see you in Asbury Park, you know, it´s like....so we´d be walking home one night, trying to figure out what we was missing.... we´d be walking home down the street....it was cold, it was so nasty....it was raining....it was raining, it was snowing and the wind was blowing and, uh, the clouds were like just about touching the earth (chuckles) it was bad, it was all coming down on that night so we´d be walking home, we´d be walking, Steve had his guitar with him.....Steve would always carry his guitar....because he practises, this guy here, he practises all the time, he don´t ever stop.... he prac, he practises when he drives his car, practises in the shower, practises when he´s kissing his girlfriend....so there we was, I was walking....he was practising (Steve plays) (?) he even practises all during the show, joking, right (chuckles) so we walk on and all of a sudden we seen, we seen this white mist, a mist, just like the mist that was in ´The Crawling Eye´, as I remember....coming down at the end of the boardwalk....slowly the mist opened up ....and out from the mist walked this dude....walking like it was 85 degrees, like the sun was shining, walking cool and dressed in white from head to foot.....so....and what was worse it was four in the morning and I wasn´t sure but Steve said that he was definitely carrying....a saxophone....this could trouble you at four in the morning, the seemingly insignificant things that (chuckles)....now I wanna tell you (chuckles)(Steve: ´Come on, tell us´) I will, we figured....this must be some new implement of terror....this must be some new instrument of total destruction that was soon gonna rain upon our heads....(Steve: ´What are you trying to say, is this something gonna put a hurt on us ?´)....I was planning to sacrifice Steve to whatever, so, so....we ducked in this doorway, tried to keep out of the way....just stood in there....dark, raining (?)....then we heard the footsteps coming closer....now we heard the footsteps coming even closer than that.....I was feeling pretty bad, you know, (?) that bad that you feel down in your stomach, you know, (?) feeling bad....sure enough, to win, this cat did not pass us by in the night....but reached out into the doorway....turned (?) looking right at me and Steve....(?)....Steve was real scared....I think I, I wasn´t scared at all, I was like....I was....wasn´t scared, I couldn´t´ve cared less, I walked right out of that doorway and ran so fast home (chuckles) no, I didn´t, I couldn´t, you can´t desert your band members, when you´re the leader of the band, you´ve got show some moral fiber, you can´t desert your boys ....so....I look up to this dude....I figured I´d try to make some conversation, right, talk about the weather, ask him where he got (?)....he wasn´t too talkative, was the silent type....all he did was....(?)....reached out my hand....and when we touched, it was like the sparks fly on E Street...´´

Yeah, that 20 song Auckland set was amazing :|

21 on the first night, 22 on the second. Yeah, we got a bit rorted, average length was 22 songs, while the South American shows tended to 24 songs and Europe at least to 23.

But look at it this way: in arenas, they can tend closer to 20, and by the end of Elevation, some shows slipped to 18 or 19.

You know, the whole thing with the lyric argument, Bono's seen the way Bruce does it, I don't know why he doesn't try it; Bruce has a teleprompter flush with the floor because he forgets lyrics as much as Bono does it, but no one notices for the most part when Bruce does it, because he USES A TELEPROMPTER

I think U2 do actually have a teleprompter - Bono's just shit at using it when he's nearby, and has a tendency of NOT being nearby.

Ok guys, I found the story...it's REALLY long...it's worth it though:

Holy shit, I'm not sure I can take that wall of text. Paragraphs for the win!

21 on the first night, 22 on the second. Yeah, we got a bit rorted, average length was 22 songs, while the South American shows tended to 24 songs and Europe at least to 23.

But look at it this way: in arenas, they can tend closer to 20, and by the end of Elevation, some shows slipped to 18 or 19.

Oops, but I was close.

Still worth it. But as much as I wanted to hear Mysterious Ways, I'm still disappointed it was at the expense of Zoo Station, especially given the length of the sets.

And I'm sure it gets said daily, but damn near 30 years of material and they can't dust off more than 22 songs?

I have nothing against Ballarat because when I was there, there was a pub that was also a McDonald's, and that still impresses me to this very day.

Ha.

Plus, Ballarat's in Victoria, which automatically makes it better than Sydney, the Gold Coast, Newcastle, Ipswich, etc.

"They got some pretty psychedelic germs in Australia... they're having their annual general meeting in my throat at the moment"... :lol:

:lmao: that was great!

So was God II > Desire

I think U2 do actually have a teleprompter - Bono's just shit at using it when he's nearby, and has a tendency of NOT being nearby.

Bono :doh:
Holy shit, I'm not sure I can take that wall of text. Paragraphs for the win!

Here's what's important:

so we walk on and all of a sudden we seen, we seen this white mist, a mist, just like the mist that was in ´The Crawling Eye´, as I remember....coming down at the end of the boardwalk....slowly the mist opened up ....and out from the mist walked this dude....walking like it was 85 degrees, like the sun was shining, walking cool and dressed in white from head to foot

so....and what was worse it was four in the morning and I wasn´t sure but Steve said that he was definitely carrying....a saxophone....this could trouble you at four in the morning, the seemingly insignificant things that (chuckles)....now I wanna tell you (chuckles)(Steve: ´Come on, tell us´) I will, we figured....this must be some new implement of terror....this must be some new instrument of total destruction that was soon gonna rain upon our heads....(Steve: ´What are you trying to say, is this something gonna put a hurt on us ?´)

I was planning to sacrifice Steve to whatever, so, so....we ducked in this doorway, tried to keep out of the way....just stood in there....dark, raining (?)....then we heard the footsteps coming closer....now we heard the footsteps coming even closer than that.....I was feeling pretty bad, you know, (?) that bad that you feel down in your stomach, you know, (?) feeling bad

sure enough, to win, this cat did not pass us by in the night....but reached out into the doorway....turned (?) looking right at me and Steve....(?)....Steve was real scared....I think I, I wasn´t scared at all, I was like....I was....wasn´t scared, I couldn´t´ve cared less, I walked right out of that doorway and ran so fast home (chuckles) no, I didn´t, I couldn´t, you can´t desert your band members, when you´re the leader of the band, you´ve got show some moral fiber, you can´t desert your boys

So....I look up to this dude....I figured I´d try to make some conversation, right, talk about the weather, ask him where he got (?)....he wasn´t too talkative, was the silent type....all he did was....(?)....reached out my hand....and when we touched, it was like the sparks fly on E Street...´´

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom