Cockplay, Scotland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mrs Richards: And another thing, I asked for a room with a view!
Basil: [muttering to Manuel] Deaf, mad, and blind...
[He goes to the window and peers through it.]
Basil: Ah, this is the view as far as I can remember, madam… yes, yes, this is it.
Mrs Richards: When I pay for a view, I expect something more interesting than that.
Basil: That is Torquay, madam.
Mrs Richards: Well, it's not good enough.
Basil: Well, may I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically—
Mrs Richards: Don't be silly! I expect to be able to see the sea.
Basil: You can see the sea. It's over there between the land and the sky.
Mrs Richards: I'd need a telescope to see that.
Basil: Well, may I suggest that you consider moving to a hotel closer to the sea?! [muttering to himself] Or preferably in it.
Mrs. Richards: Now listen to me. I'm not satisfied, but I've decided to stay here. However, I shall expect a reduction.
Basil: Why? Because Krakatoa isn't erupting at the moment?

Oh wow, I didn't know about that with all of the Rotterdam business I mean. Sucks about his voice. I'm glad there was nothing wrong when he got it all checked out in the late 90s (Bono's all right guys! :hyper: )

Yeah, he had voice problems right through Lovetown. Australia had a few cancellations too. After the 20 and 21/10/89 gigs in Sydney, a doctor basically told him that if the next three shows (also in Sydney) went ahead, he'd ruin his voice completely, so they were postponed until after the New Zealand shows and held on 17, 18, and 19 November.

The first show after the postponement was 27 October 1989, Adelaide, which BEG saw in person. :grumpy:

Yeah, he had voice problems right through Lovetown. Australia had a few cancellations too. After the 20 and 21/10/89 gigs in Sydney, a doctor basically told him that if the next three shows (also in Sydney) went ahead, he'd ruin his voice completely, so they were postponed until after the New Zealand shows and held on 17, 18, and 19 November.

The first show after the postponement was 27 October 1989, Adelaide, which BEG saw in person. :grumpy:
:very smug:

Was it upside down and in a ditch, because that may explain it.
:lol: Nope, which tells me it probably wasn't him.

See, that made me feel better just because it meant that every second post wasn't mine. I always get a bit worried when I check the thread stats and we've got 300 posts an I'm already past 100 ...
The simple solution is just to post less, you know. You don't need to publicly disagree with/prove EVERYONE wrong...

:wink:

Mrs Richards: And another thing, I asked for a room with a view!
Basil: [muttering to Manuel] Deaf, mad, and blind...
[He goes to the window and peers through it.]
Basil: Ah, this is the view as far as I can remember, madam… yes, yes, this is it.
Mrs Richards: When I pay for a view, I expect something more interesting than that.
Basil: That is Torquay, madam.
Mrs Richards: Well, it's not good enough.
Basil: Well, may I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically—
Mrs Richards: Don't be silly! I expect to be able to see the sea.
Basil: You can see the sea. It's over there between the land and the sky.
Mrs Richards: I'd need a telescope to see that.
Basil: Well, may I suggest that you consider moving to a hotel closer to the sea?! [muttering to himself] Or preferably in it.
Mrs. Richards: Now listen to me. I'm not satisfied, but I've decided to stay here. However, I shall expect a reduction.
Basil: Why? Because Krakatoa isn't erupting at the moment?

Easily one of the best scenes ever. :lmao:

Also, I love:

Mrs Richards: Didn't God give you eyes? Why don't you use them?
Polly: Because it runs the battery down.

It's on there? Coolness. I know I've watched it, but that was once, over two years ago.
That's the only place I can have seen it, and I definitely remember seeing it. I don't think I've watched it more than once, either.
I just remember thinking that I had that song on my comp somewhere... and having no idea what it was called.

Where exactly is Northern City, Ireland?

... In the North?

*flees*

That's the only place I can have seen it, and I definitely remember seeing it. I don't think I've watched it more than once, either.
I just remember thinking that I had that song on my comp somewhere... and having no idea what it was called.

Maybe I should, you know, watch the DVD sometime. It's got plenty of songs I know I'll enjoy!

... In the North?

*flees*

Wow, Ali, your career as a comedian is off to a flying start! :applaud:

Yup
:smugnessoffthescale:

:grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

JUST LOOK AT THESE SETLISTS, PEOPLE!

1989-10-27

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. I Will Follow
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
4. MLK
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. God Part II
7. Desire
8. All Along The Watchtower
9. All I Want Is You
10. People Get Ready
11. Bad / Norwegian Wood (snippet) / You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (snippet) / Walk On The Wild Side (snippet)
12. Van Diemen's Land
13. New Year's Day
14. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):
15. Angel Of Harlem
16. When Love Comes To Town / In The Midnight Hour (snippet)
17. Love Rescue Me
18. With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet)
19. 40

1989-10-28

2. I Will Follow
3. Gloria
4. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
5. All I Want Is You / Sexual Healing (snippet)
6. Desire / Not Fade Away (snippet) / So You Want To Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star (snippet)
7. All Along The Watchtower / Like A Hurricane (snippet)
8. Help
9. Bad
10. October
11. New Year's Day
12. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):
13. Angel Of Harlem
14. When Love Comes To Town / In The Midnight Hour (snippet)
15. Love Rescue Me
16. Bullet The Blue Sky / Neighbours Theme Song (snippet)
17. Running To Stand Still
18. With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet) / Love Will Tear Us Apart (snippet)

Incidentally, that first show is one of ... I think only six concerts at which Bullet has not been played since its 2 April 1987 debut.

:grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

JUST LOOK AT THESE SETLISTS, PEOPLE!

1989-10-27

2. I Will Follow
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
4. MLK
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. God Part II
7. Desire
8. All Along The Watchtower
9. All I Want Is You
10. People Get Ready
11. Bad / Norwegian Wood (snippet) / You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (snippet) / Walk On The Wild Side (snippet)
12. Van Diemen's Land
13. New Year's Day
14. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):
15. Angel Of Harlem
16. When Love Comes To Town / In The Midnight Hour (snippet)
17. Love Rescue Me
18. With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet)
19. 40

1989-10-28

2. I Will Follow
3. Gloria
4. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
5. All I Want Is You / Sexual Healing (snippet)
6. Desire / Not Fade Away (snippet) / So You Want To Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star (snippet)
7. All Along The Watchtower / Like A Hurricane (snippet)
8. Help
9. Bad
10. October
11. New Year's Day
12. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):
13. Angel Of Harlem
14. When Love Comes To Town / In The Midnight Hour (snippet)
15. Love Rescue Me
16. Bullet The Blue Sky / Neighbours Theme Song (snippet)
17. Running To Stand Still
18. With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet) / Love Will Tear Us Apart (snippet)

Incidentally, that first show is one of ... I think only six concerts at which Bullet has not been played since its 2 April 1987 debut.

I've got the first one on cassette. The guy playing guitar is a guy we met camping out on the first night (first and last time I've ever done that :grumpy: ). Can't remember what thtey played the second night but thanks for the reminder! Got more but I'll be back in a sec...

Hey Ax, can you suggest a show with a good shredding version of Desire and decent sound quality?

27 September 1989, Sydney - there's a news feed of some songs, including the best Desire ever played with not one but TWO solos. It's on YouTube, I'm sure Desire Lovetown Sydney will find it. Bono invites the Channel 10 cameraman to come onstage.

Also, 10 January 1990, Rotterdam and 20 October 1989, Sydney have decent audience quality.

What do you mean the equator equals north?
I was just having a dig at those people from the Northern Hemisphere who don't realise that, while the climate gets warmer from north to south on their side of the planet, the opposite is true for us in the Southern Hemisphere. So they hear that Hobart is a long way south of Brisbane, for instance, and assume that Hobart is warmer than Brisbane. And it's resoundingly not. :lol:

There's one version of Pride I REALLY like and I can't remember what it is. It might be R&H...the only thing I can remember to help (And this is not going to be helpful :lol: ) is that Bono goes "For Dr. King...Sing" (In the naaaaaaaaaaaaame...)

Ax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom