Cockplay, Scotland Superthread - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2008, 05:35 AM   #571
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Hey Ax, Bruce hit 30 songs at a show the other day btw, Has U2 ever even come close to that mark (especially) while they were young?
Not while they were young - I actually feel U2's sets in the eighties were disappointingly short. Shows were often closer to 90 minutes than 2 hours.

The longest U2 gig ever, both in terms of songs played and length of performance, is 27 June 2005, Dublin. 25-26 songs; depends on whether you count An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart as one song or two. And it has Vertigo x2 too. But still a killer set; only Gloria and Bad of the second leg.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-13-2008, 05:36 AM   #572
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedgirl View Post
Off to have minestrone, back in a bit
Ooh, sounds good.

I'm going to make pizza very soon.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-13-2008, 05:37 AM   #573
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yep, that's the Bomb Threat show. Somebody phoned in a bomb threat, so the entire venue had to be evacuated before the show so that the police could search it. Of course, there was no bomb.

The end result was that the band played an amazing show, though. Bono's quite passionate, and he makes a number of references/jokes about the evacuation.
Haha, cool. I thought it might have just been that announcement the venues give at every show about using the emergency exits etc...

You know that day our work got bomb-threatened and evacuated? Apparently another threat was called in the next day, but was soundly ignored, and business went on as usual.
Okay, so the odds of there really being a bomb after the previous one was a hoax might be minute, but there's still a chance it wouldn't be.
If I was a terrorist, I'd call a fake one in on one day, then plant a real one the next day, if I knew that people were going to ignore it.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:37 AM   #574
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I hate the 40 version of Feed The World...wtf was that all about Bono?
God, that cracks me up. It's fucking MARCH and he's singing "feed the world, let them know it's Christmastime". He did it at the vast majority of U2's gigs in 1985 too ... between January and July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisaura View Post
b) it's not an Adam bassline. Damn you, Edge! *shakes fist*
Is this meant to imply Adam is not even the best bassist in U2, or just that you don't dig Edge's style?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-13-2008, 05:39 AM   #575
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 10:31 AM
hey folks, long time no see. What's been happening???
Old 07-13-2008, 05:39 AM   #576
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisaura View Post
Haha, cool. I thought it might have just been that announcement the venues give at every show about using the emergency exits etc...

You know that day our work got bomb-threatened and evacuated? Apparently another threat was called in the next day, but was soundly ignored, and business went on as usual.
Okay, so the odds of there really being a bomb after the previous one was a hoax might be minute, but there's still a chance it wouldn't be.
If I was a terrorist, I'd call a fake one in on one day, then plant a real one the next day, if I knew that people were going to ignore it.
Hah. Yeah, I would have thought they'd take it a bit more seriously, given that isn't the most farfetched logic at all. Did they ever work out who it was who called in the threats?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-13-2008, 05:39 AM   #577
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:31 PM
Quote:
Yep, that's the Bomb Threat show. Somebody phoned in a bomb threat, so the entire venue had to be evacuated before the show so that the police could search it. Of course, there was no bomb.

The end result was that the band played an amazing show, though. Bono's quite passionate, and he makes a number of references/jokes about the evacuation.
Why do Bomb Threat shows always seem to turn into such fantastic events?
Bruce had one, and during the 90 minute evacuation (which occured halfway through the original concert btw) Bruce and co. went to the hotel bar and got sloshed. When the came back, almost every song they played was at least ten minutes long (The E Street Shuffle was over 20 I think) and included lots of hilarious drunken Bruce rambling. He told this FANTASTIC story about how he Met Clarence Clemons too. It's fairly epic The show lasted until 2 o'clock in the morning

Quote:
Not while they were young - I actually feel U2's sets in the eighties were disappointingly short. Shows were often closer to 90 minutes than 2 hours.

The longest U2 gig ever, both in terms of songs played and length of performance, is 27 June 2005, Dublin. 25-26 songs; depends on whether you count An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart as one song or two. And it has Vertigo x2 too. But still a killer set; only Gloria and Bad of the second leg.
I mentioned while they were young, cause from what I understand he was known for going even longer when he was younger, but it's good to see that the Vertigo tour is were you really see the longest shows. But I'll never understand the 2x Vertigo

I'm listening to the first few tracks of teh Depot show before I go to bed, and God, all I can say is that Streets is an AMAZING opener
Old 07-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #578
Vocal parasite

cin! Good to see you around! How's things?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #579
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

I've never noticed this before
Old 07-13-2008, 05:41 AM   #580
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnaminson View Post
hey folks, long time no see. What's been happening???
POUNCE

you know inxs is on max- the concert from wembley ...
Old 07-13-2008, 05:42 AM   #581
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious_jen View Post
POUNCE

you know inxs is on max- the concert from wembley ...
ooh, tempting but am currently distracting the man with Dr Who

I'm on holidays again, woooo hooooo
Old 07-13-2008, 05:43 AM   #582
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnaminson View Post
ooh, tempting but am currently distracting the man with Dr Who

I'm on holidays again, woooo hooooo
when are you not on holidays????

i have mised you round these parts ..
Old 07-13-2008, 05:43 AM   #583
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Why do Bomb Threat shows always seem to turn into such fantastic events?
Bruce had one, and during the 90 minute evacuation (which occured halfway through the original concert btw) Bruce and co. went to the hotel bar and got sloshed. When the came back, almost every song they played was at least ten minutes long (The E Street Shuffle was over 20 I think) and included lots of hilarious drunken Bruce rambling. He told this FANTASTIC story about how he Met Clarence Clemons too. It's fairly epic The show lasted until 2 o'clock in the morning
This is so cool.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:44 AM   #584
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

well I did go back for a whole week. . .

this week I have holidays with Mr Cin I wanted to go to the Cadbury factory but they're not doing tours anymore
Old 07-13-2008, 05:44 AM   #585
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Is this meant to imply Adam is not even the best bassist in U2, or just that you don't dig Edge's style?
Oh, you don't like the Beatles' songs, but you'll paraphrase their one-liners?

I'm just saying that Edge's brain works differently to Adam's brain. Plus he's used to playing a normal guitar so he'd approach a bassline from a different angle. Adam's angle is easier for someone who's never picked up a normal guitar in her life

(It's not just the number of strings, guitars and basses are tuned in a different way, too. You can't play an open chord on a bass... You can do chords on a bass, but I never learned how, and it's just... different.)

Tags
superthread