Cockplay, Scotland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, I don't think I've actually hard 49 different shoegaze albums... yet. :(

Honestly, do you really think there's 49 good shoegazer albums out there anyway? Too many scenes have a bunch of really good bands and then a swag of mundane imitators, and shoegazing was a relatively shortlived, geographically limited thing too.

Proof that Axver's brain has also been killed by ODing on blue crack all day.

I'll be back, hopefully before the new thread...

:wave:

:lol:

See you soon, Ali! :wave:

are these threads the reason why Axver has 60 million posts?

Pretty much. Before this started in February, I had 32,000 or so posts. Yeah, now look what's happened. At least Ian can join me in claiming over 10,000 Superthread posts.

Honestly, do you really think there's 49 good shoegazer albums out there anyway? Too many scenes have a bunch of really good bands and then a swag of mundane imitators, and shoegazing was a relatively shortlived, geographically limited thing too.

Oh, you're absolutely right. But there could certainly be some real hidden gems out there, and I know there's still new stuff that's apparently pretty good, including foreign language bands.

What is this shoegazing you're always going on about?

It's a rock genre that was popular mainly in Britain from the late 80s and early 90s, characterised by groups such as My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Chapterhouse and Slowdive. Very much into vast walls of sounds and guitars that don't sound like guitars. The name actually derives from a criticism of the genre, from a quote that all the bands would do is gaze at their shoes, as they were so caught up in the music.

hey, i'm doing the same thing! :D

bad times?

When I was 10, my mother thought it would be a brilliant idea to move from our small New Zealand hometown to the Gold Coast. Little did I know what I was in for. Fled to the University of Queensland when I was 19 and since then fled Queensland entirely for the University of Melbourne.

I just found the Gold Coast to be the most vapid, base, shallow place on earth, complete with a horrible climate and the worst town planning I've ever encountered.

i really want to move to melbourne though. maybe for a second degree or a job. i love malben. to paraphrase James Murphy, Adelaide, I love you, but you'll bring me down.

It's a rock genre that was popular mainly in Britain from the late 80s and early 90s, characterised by groups such as My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Chapterhouse and Slowdive. Very much into vast walls of sounds and guitars that don't sound like guitars. The name actually derives from a criticism of the genre, from a quote that all the bands would do is gaze at their shoes, as they were so caught up in the music.

aww, it sounds cool at least.

even though it's our Texas, it's ok sometimes. i really can't complain about life atm

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh God :lmao:

Guys I came back to say that I just stuck all of my Tom Petty, U2, and Bruce Springsteen music on my iPod.

I realize it's not all cleaned up yet, and that there are several duplicate songs, however....it comes up to 854 songs, 2:19:11:51 total time, and 10.04 GB :faint:

Don't mind me a bit of shoegazing. Saw Ride live, they were awesome! Saw Swervedriver live, they bored me to tears.

Dunno if you deffo classify them as "shoegazer" but House of Love are fantastic. Check out their early stuff on Creation, before Guy Chadwick got completely drugfucked.

When I was 10, my mother thought it would be a brilliant idea to move from our small New Zealand hometown to the Gold Coast. Little did I know what I was in for. Fled to the University of Queensland when I was 19 and since then fled Queensland entirely for the University of Melbourne.

I just found the Gold Coast to be the most vapid, base, shallow place on earth, complete with a horrible climate and the worst town planning I've ever encountered.
No Ax, tell us what you really think?

Oh, you're absolutely right. But there could certainly be some real hidden gems out there, and I know there's still new stuff that's apparently pretty good, including foreign language bands.

This is true. You heard of Solar Powered People? I've seen them classified in with some of the "neo-shoegazer" or "shoegazer revival" stuff of the last few years. I don't really buy that, I wouldn't call them shoegazer myself, but certainly their stuff is drenched in delay and it rocks well.

i know i don't want to stay here. but for Uni, especially when you're associating with so many out-of-towners in a small, tight-knit community with a decent enough nightlife, and when you're given a half-scholarship, the decision is sort of made for you when the alternative is wallowing in Adelaide at a Tafe-with-benefits.

Don't mind me a bit of shoegazing. Saw Ride live, they were awesome! Saw Swervedriver live, they bored me to tears.

Dunno if you deffo classify them as "shoegazer" but House of Love are fantastic. Check out their early stuff on Creation, before Guy Chadwick got completely drugfucked.

Haha, you've just made Ax and I really, really jealous. Even for the apparently shitty Swervedriver show.

Never heard of HOL described as shoegazey but thanks for the recommendation, may check them out anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom