Clipperton Island Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say I've heard of any of them, sadly. How's getting around at gigs, with the cane and all, now?

Preferential treatment for the SuperWin!

I'll have to call the Forum Theatre and see about arrangements for the Crowdies gigs. If we're really lucky, we might be able to skip the queue and enter before doors open. That's what happened to me at Opeth. Subsequent gigs I've seen have been so small scale that nobody queued beforehand.

Preferential treatment for the SuperWin!

I'll have to call the Forum Theatre and see about arrangements for the Crowdies gigs. If we're really lucky, we might be able to skip the queue and enter before doors open. That's what happened to me at Opeth. Subsequent gigs I've seen have been so small scale that nobody queued beforehand.

:hi5: Let's hope that I get by-preferential treatment. :wink: The cane's such a powerful tool too. Are you allowed it in the actual venue?

You'll be able to shout "recurring dream!!!" from closer, and with a threat in hand!

:hi5: Let's hope that I get by-preferential treatment. :wink: The cane's such a powerful tool too. Are you allowed it in the actual venue?

You'll be able to shout "recurring dream!!!" from closer, and with a threat in hand!

Yeah, I'll see if I can get us all in earlier. It'd be pretty fucking sweet. The venues can't not let me take the cane in - I've always wondered what they'd do if I actually used it as a weapon. :lol:

I reckon Bonnie needs to learn Manx.

I once tried to teach myself that when I was 15 or so. Didn't get awfully far.

You tried to teach yourself Manx?! For whatever reason? :ohmy:

I know some Manx words but unfortunately it's not like Irish Gaelic, it's essentially dead on the island now. The last natural speaker died in the 70's, I think.

Probably the first language I'll learn will be one of the Romance ones, although I've been hammering away at Greek for two years now, just with not much success.

Yeah, I'll see if I can get us all in earlier. It'd be pretty fucking sweet. The venues can't not let me take the cane in - I've always wondered what they'd do if I actually used it as a weapon. :lol:

I'm getting real excited now. Do you have any idea how old Sheppy Daniel is? Will he bringing SPC with him? :wink:

I just thought they'd be very uptight about you taking it in... you don't have to take proof or anything you need it?

I know some Manx words but unfortunately it's not like Irish Gaelic, it's essentially dead on the island now. The last natural speaker died in the 70's, I think.

Probably the first language I'll learn will be one of the Romance ones, although I've been hammering away at Greek for two years now, just with not much success.

Italian's pretty cool. :wink:

I've always wanted to learn Latin for some reason. Maybe not go right into it, but just learn about it a bit.

At school, if you studied either Latin, Hebrew or Spesh Maths you could get a score of 55/50 for that subject. :lol:

Yeah I did actually :reject:

I've learnt Italian for thirteen years now (albeit the first ten were probably going over the weather, colours and numbers) and I love it. Nowhere near fluent, unfortunately, but maybe one day I will be. It's pretty cool to learn another language I reckon.

So yeah. Pick italian. Then we can talk about la bira in italian :D

No way, that's cool!

I learned Spanish at school, but our teacher left when I was in Middle School. I think we were breaking some law because I'm pretty sure it's compulsory for students to learn a second language in Australian schools. Sucks that the last five or so years there were wasted on learning about society, English, art and science. At least Spanish is pretty easy to get back into the gist of. I thought it would be hard until I started teaching myself Arabic. Yeah... that's just a bit harder.

La bira, eh? Yeah, I know what you mean. :D

Italian's pretty cool. :wink:

I've always wanted to learn Latin for some reason. Maybe not go right into it, but just learn about it a bit.

At school, if you studied either Latin, Hebrew or Spesh Maths you could get a score of 55/50 for that subject. :lol:

Italian's pretty easy to pick up, right? I just can't roll my r's very well. :wink:

Wow. How big is your school? You can see why I'm jealous if you read my last post. :( I wouldn't mind learning Hebrew...

Well, I've always had a fascination in other languages, especially those that are rather endangered, and that year, Manx and Cornish caught my eye. The main thing that discouraged me was that I simply had no idea of the pronunciation, and I memorise by repeating stuff orally.

The two languages I've most wanted to learn, though, are French and Latin. And my theologically interested side would love to learn New Testament Greek. Hell, I even looked up Aramaic once.

No way, that's cool!

I learned Spanish at school, but our teacher left when I was in Middle School. I think we were breaking some law because I'm pretty sure it's compulsory for students to learn a second language in Australian schools. Sucks that the last five or so years there were wasted on learning about society, English, art and science. At least Spanish is pretty easy to get back into the gist of. I thought it would be hard until I started teaching myself Arabic. Yeah... that's just a bit harder.

La bira, eh? Yeah, I know what you mean. :D

Cheers :D Boredom relief that sharpens the mind y'see.

Is muchos gracias spanish? And do they speak Spanish in Mexico? I think it's compulsory, but maybe only up until year 9 or something, because we had the chance to drop it after Year 8, maybe even year 7 I think. But I kept going, and it's been very rewarding. Improved my English out of sight as well.

Arabic? :hmm: We had an autistic kid that could write in Arabic. I see where you're coming from.

:D :D I talked about it in my oral exam

I'm getting real excited now. Do you have any idea how old Sheppy Daniel is? Will he bringing SPC with him? :wink:

I just thought they'd be very uptight about you taking it in... you don't have to take proof or anything you need it?

:lol: Shepp Daniel is ... 21, I think. I know he's younger than me, but not by that much. God, I should know his birthday. Pretty sure it's 1987 sometime anyway.

Yeah, I expected them to be uptight too, but because all venues to be compliant with the disability access laws, they can't actually challenge my use of it, and I think they're worried about a scene if they asked for proof. In any case, Vision Australia and the like don't give away canes willy-nilly, so I think the assumption is that if you have one, chances are you're legit.

Italian's pretty easy to pick up, right? I just can't roll my r's very well. :wink:

Wow. How big is your school? You can see why I'm jealous if you read my last post. :( I wouldn't mind learning Hebrew...

I would say yeah. Cos you've already done a bit of Spanish you'll know that every single noun can be male or female, which 99% of the kids I did it with could not comprehend, and verb conjugations blah blah blah.

The school's pretty big, bout 2000ish kids I think. We teach (sorry, they teach, I'm done as of today :D) French, Japanese, Italian and Indonesian.

:lol: Shepp Daniel is ... 21, I think. I know he's younger than me, but not by that much. God, I should know his birthday. Pretty sure it's 1987 sometime anyway.

Yeah, I expected them to be uptight too, but because all venues to be compliant with the disability access laws, they can't actually challenge my use of it, and I think they're worried about a scene if they asked for proof. In any case, Vision Australia and the like don't give away canes willy-nilly, so I think the assumption is that if you have one, chances are you're legit.

Cool. Maybe a quick trip to pub could be in order :D

And fair point. I mean it would be pretty stupid to go to all the effort of 'dressing up' just to.. be able to have a cane at the concert.

Is muchos gracias spanish? And do they speak Spanish in Mexico? I think it's compulsory, but maybe only up until year 9 or something, because we had the chance to drop it after Year 8, maybe even year 7 I think. But I kept going, and it's been very rewarding. Improved my English out of sight as well.

Mexico - as with almost all of Latin America - speaks Spanish, but its own dialect. I believe it's mutually intelligible with Spanish Spanish, though.

In Queensland, we had to start learning a language in grade six (it was made earlier that year - my grade six class was with some grade fives), and after grade eight, we could drop it. My primary school solely offered Japanese, while at high school, I chose German over Japanese and did it right through to the end.

Still pisses me off that we had a qualified French teacher but French wasn't offered - he was also a qualified maths teacher and was hired just to teach that. I've always wondered what on earth motivates somebody to be a high school maths teacher ...

Ali seems to have rather vanished ...

Cool. Maybe a quick trip to pub could be in order :D

And fair point. I mean it would be pretty stupid to go to all the effort of 'dressing up' just to.. be able to have a cane at the concert.

Heh, yes. I was thinking we need to make plans for the gig, like how long we plan to queue (if I can't get us in early), whether to do dinner somewhere beforehand, etc. Suppose we can plan that next week or something? I'll get onto the venue then about my cane; probably a touch too early now and I'm busy finishing uni stuff this week.

I also imagine somebody faking it would cock up and have a cane that doesn't look like either a long cane or an ID cane, the two types that vision impaired people use. Then again, whether security are clued in enough to be able to distinguish canes is probably a good question ...

Cheers :D Boredom relief that sharpens the mind y'see.

Arabic? :hmm: We had an autistic kid that could write in Arabic. I see where you're coming from.

:D :D I talked about it in my oral exam

Yeah, see that's something you can do when you're just arsing around that won't turn your brain into sludge.

Yes, that's "many thanks", if I remember right. Spanish is spoken throughout much of Central and South America (Portuguese of course in Brazil), although I think there's some difference in Mexican dialect, but it's still Spanish. My aunt lives in Santiago in Chile, so she speaks Spanish fluently. But she's only around once every couple of years.

Haha, well I was studying the Qur'an for a while and I started just started copying the Arabic script in my copy, even if I didn't know what it said, just because I think it's such a lovely looking form of writing. Writing backwards wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be, but the main problem was that everything looked too alike without too much practice. So good on that autistic kid, they must be doing pretty well. Or something.

Mexico - as with almost all of Latin America - speaks Spanish, but its own dialect. I believe it's mutually intelligible with Spanish Spanish, though.

In Queensland, we had to start learning a language in grade six (it was made earlier that year - my grade six class was with some grade fives), and after grade eight, we could drop it. My primary school solely offered Japanese, while at high school, I chose German over Japanese and did it right through to the end.

Still pisses me off that we had a qualified French teacher but French wasn't offered - he was also a qualified maths teacher and was hired just to teach that. I've always wondered what on earth motivates somebody to be a high school maths teacher ...

Cheers, I'd always wondered about that. People say they speak 'mexican', but I was pretty sure it was some form of spanish.

See from prep to grade six we were taught italian, that was all they offered in primary school, and then in year seven we had four terms, and learnt one language in each term to see which we liked the most (ridiculous system, though I still remember all those bloody songs we learnt :scream: ). German would have been pretty damn hard? Could you speak it?

Yeah, that annoys me as well when teachers qualified to do more than one thing are hired only in one area. It's disappointing for a lot of the kids.

I've always wondered what motivates someone to do maths when you don't have to!!

Anyway, time for bed for me. Night ax and bonnie :wave:

Well, I've always had a fascination in other languages, especially those that are rather endangered, and that year, Manx and Cornish caught my eye. The main thing that discouraged me was that I simply had no idea of the pronunciation, and I memorise by repeating stuff orally.

The two languages I've most wanted to learn, though, are French and Latin. And my theologically interested side would love to learn New Testament Greek. Hell, I even looked up Aramaic once.

:up: I'm interested in some Native American languages for the same reason. So I'm afraid to say that I probably know more Mohawk than I do Manx! But more lately I've started appreciating Celtic languages more, so yeah, I'll definitely have to do something about that.

French is one of my high priorities and one I'm sure you could pick up on very easily. My Chilean aunt knows New Testament Greek as well, so that's something else she might be able to teach me.

German is fun to speak. Mum and Dad taught me some when I was younger. I think I can still count to fifty. :uhoh: That said, Dutch is another language I'd like to learn. Where's GG2?

Congrats on finishing school, Danny - have a good one! :wave:

Ali seems to have rather vanished ...

Heh, yes. I was thinking we need to make plans for the gig, like how long we plan to queue (if I can't get us in early), whether to do dinner somewhere beforehand, etc. Suppose we can plan that next week or something? I'll get onto the venue then about my cane; probably a touch too early now and I'm busy finishing uni stuff this week.

I also imagine somebody faking it would cock up and have a cane that doesn't look like either a long cane or an ID cane, the two types that vision impaired people use. Then again, whether security are clued in enough to be able to distinguish canes is probably a good question ...

I must smell or something... :shifty:

Yeah well if Daniel's around we can plan it out, but I'm up for anything really. I'll be very near broke, but you can't sacrifice a good time.

Probably taking a House cane... :lol:

Yeah, see that's something you can do when you're just arsing around that won't turn your brain into sludge.

Yes, that's "many thanks", if I remember right. Spanish is spoken throughout much of Central and South America (Portuguese of course in Brazil), although I think there's some difference in Mexican dialect, but it's still Spanish. My aunt lives in Santiago in Chile, so she speaks Spanish fluently. But she's only around once every couple of years.

Haha, well I was studying the Qur'an for a while and I started just started copying the Arabic script in my copy, even if I didn't know what it said, just because I think it's such a lovely looking form of writing. Writing backwards wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be, but the main problem was that everything looked too alike without too much practice. So good on that autistic kid, they must be doing pretty well. Or something.

:yes: I kinda do it pretty often. I'm weird like that. :lol:

Yeah this autistic kid did all the little fluctuations and stuff, it looks really fancy, but surprisingly to me, it looks pretty good as well when it's done properly.

He failed Chemistry, English and Italian, because he didn't do any work, but he is very, very smart, and can speak, write and tell you about German, French, Spanish, Italian, Latin, Arabic... brought out the nerd in me a bit. :nerd:

This is one very slow moving superthread. Never have i been in one where the replies are this lengthy :lol:

Night! :wave:

Spanish is spoken throughout much of Central and South America (Portuguese of course in Brazil)

Don't forget Dutch in Suriname, French in French Guyana (wowz0rz), and I think English is an official and widely spoken language in Belize.

See from prep to grade six we were taught italian, that was all they offered in primary school, and then in year seven we had four terms, and learnt one language in each term to see which we liked the most (ridiculous system, though I still remember all those bloody songs we learnt :scream: ). German would have been pretty damn hard? Could you speak it?

Yeah, that annoys me as well when teachers qualified to do more than one thing are hired only in one area. It's disappointing for a lot of the kids.

I've always wondered what motivates someone to do maths when you don't have to!!

Anyway, time for bed for me. Night ax and bonnie :wave:

Queensland being Queensland, I'm not surprised there were no languages offered until grades 5-6. In New Zealand, we learnt Maori right from the start, and when I came to Australia, I was surprised we didn't learn "Aboriginal" (at that point, I was 10 years old and didn't realise that there isn't a uniform Aboriginal language like Maori)!

My high school did a similar thing in grade eight. In the first term, you did either Japanese or German, in the second term you did the other, and then for the remaining two terms, you picked whichever you preferred. I actually found German really easy to begin with, since English is originally descended from it, but getting deeper into it was more challenging. I've forgotten a lot of it now.

Have a good night! :wave:

Dutch and German pronunciation :vomit: All those French/Spanish/Italian/Romanian would be pretty easy to pick up I think for an intellectual like yourselves. Once you've got the basics of one, they're pretty similar. I can even read some stuff in French just from my knowledge of Italian. Take the Crowded House lyric.

Pour le monde pas pour la guerre in italian would be
Per il mondo non per la guerra

But it sounds better in French.

I can't roll my r's either, which makes me sounds like an ocker italian.

Thanks Bonnie! It's going to be an awesome few weeks now :D

:up: I'm interested in some Native American languages for the same reason. So I'm afraid to say that I probably know more Mohawk than I do Manx! But more lately I've started appreciating Celtic languages more, so yeah, I'll definitely have to do something about that.

French is one of my high priorities and one I'm sure you could pick up on very easily. My Chilean aunt knows New Testament Greek as well, so that's something else she might be able to teach me.

:laugh: The Celtic languages all look terribly interesting to me - perhaps because they all look like they were invented by three extremely drunk druids. I mean, sober people don't just come up with Manx or Irish Gaelic, you know?

I'm sure the influence French has left on English means that it's not all too difficult to pick up some of it fairly quickly. I find it hard to learn ANY language in such a monolingual society as Australia, though. It's hard enough in a class with other people; by yourself feels almost impossible.

Dutch and German pronunciation :vomit: All those French/Spanish/Italian/Romanian would be pretty easy to pick up I think for an intellectual like yourselves. Once you've got the basics of one, they're pretty similar. I can even read some stuff in French just from my knowledge of Italian. Take the Crowded House lyric.

Pour le monde pas pour la guerre in italian would be
Per il mondo non per la guerra

But it sounds better in French.

I can't roll my r's either, which makes me sounds like an ocker italian.

Thanks Bonnie! It's going to be an awesome few weeks now :D

I have no idea what that Crowdies lyric means, you know.

However, I can roll my r's! It's a distinctive trait of Scottish-influenced Central Otago English, which is where my mother's side of the family is from. So I do it sometimes, usually on the word 'purple' (a trait picked up straight from my mother) or when I speak the few dribs and drabs I know of Maori.

Don't forget Dutch in Suriname, French in French Guyana (wowz0rz), and I think English is an official and widely spoken language in Belize.

I was 10 years old and didn't realise that there isn't a uniform Aboriginal language like Maori)!

Haha, well I could have gotten to all that, but I thought Brazil was a main priority before them. I didn't say that it was "all Spanish except for Brazil", f'instance. ;)

That's adorable. :cute: It would have been nice to learn some Narrunga at school.

:laugh: The Celtic languages all look terribly interesting to me - perhaps because they all look like they were invented by three extremely drunk druids. I mean, sober people don't just come up with Manx or Irish Gaelic, you know?

I'm sure the influence French has left on English means that it's not all too difficult to pick up some of it fairly quickly. I find it hard to learn ANY language in such a monolingual society as Australia, though. It's hard enough in a class with other people; by yourself feels almost impossible.

:lol: Yeah, no kidding! They're crazy. And the pronunciations usually look like they have no relation to the spelling, at least for non-speakers. What cool languages.

Speaking of which, if you want to be a real poncy U2 fan, don't pronounce the 'cat' in 'An Cat Dubh' like we do, it's more like a 'kett' if I recall correctly.

I don't know about Australia being called a monolingual society - I mean, of course English is the official language, but I see Greek, Vietnamese, Korean, Thai, Hindi and what have you every day all over the place. Even a few bus stops I've seen in the city are in all Chinese. Of course, that's the problem, there are areas that are too multilingual. But I don't think it's the most monolingual place in the world. Especially in fucking Melbourne. Go learn Greek and you probably won't be saying that. :wink:

Haha, well I could have gotten to all that, but I thought Brazil was a main priority before them. I didn't say that it was "all Spanish except for Brazil", f'instance. ;)

That's adorable. :cute: It would have been nice to learn some Narrunga at school.

You know I can't help my pedantry.

I honestly have no idea about any Aboriginal language - place names are really the extent of my knowledge. It's sad.

:lol: Yeah, no kidding! They're crazy. And the pronunciations usually look like they have no relation to the spelling, at least for non-speakers. What cool languages.

Speaking of which, if you want to be a real poncy U2 fan, don't pronounce the 'cat' in 'An Cat Dubh' like we do, it's more like a 'kett' if I recall correctly.

I don't know about Australia being called a monolingual society - I mean, of course English is the official language, but I see Greek, Vietnamese, Korean, Thai, Hindi and what have you every day all over the place. Even a few bus stops I've seen in the city are in all Chinese. Of course, that's the problem, there are areas that are too multilingual. But I don't think it's the most monolingual place in the world. Especially in fucking Melbourne. Go learn Greek and you probably won't be saying that. :wink:

Oh god, the pronunciation thing gets me every time. And, you know, I think Bono sometimes pronounced An Cat Dubh's name somewhat properly in the early days. Of course, I've also heard the silly twit pronounce it the way ignorant English speakers do.

Remember how long I spent in Queensland! Now there's one hell of a monolingual society. OK, sure, you'll see some signage in various Asian languages on the most touristy parts of the Gold Coast, but all the locals look on it with disgust. Outright disgust and revulsion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom