Clerks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
haven't seen it until tonight..

I gotta say, I was expecting more from a "CULT HIT"

How was this the funniest film of '94???
where are the funny parts?
it's basically comprised of two types of humour:
- explicit, sexually related dialogue concerning blowjobs (Smith really likes oral sex doesn't he? (see: Chasing Amy))
- Failed Seinfeldish discussions (i.e. searching for perfect eggs, milk, etc...)

everything that doesn't fall into these two categories involves the clerks being frustrated about customers

of course...they throw in a hockey game on the roof
CRRRRAZY!!!
I NEED CIGARETTES!!!

"but Basstrap..it was filmed in black and whire...BLACK AND WHITE!!!!"

great!! that's SOOO oldschool..back to the roots!!!

I'm not gonna say it didn't make me laugh ever...I thought it was funny when the gum salesman compared Dante to the nazis

and Silent Bob talking about sluts and fucking a lot of women was funny enough

But it's no more funny than fucking...i dunno....Anaylize This!!

and there's a lot of bad acting

anyway...if anyone could care to explain why it's great

i think it's because the guy maxed out his credit card to film it or something

plus it didn't have ben affleck in it

maybe that's why

couple of things:

It was/is INDEPENDENT...and that means it gets cult status. I thought someone with your taste in music would/could understand that.

Add the "odd" humor that you would not find in most "non-Indie" movies, the black and white, and the common man feel (it was filmed in a shitty town in New Jersey, with common people)...and that adds to the cult status.

Kevin Smith is no different than some of the "cult-like, Indie bands that sign major label, but still put out not-so mainstream music" you listen too.

Now that I am done with that rant...I found some of it funny. But, I am not a fan.

thanks, u2girl.

i knew he was in the others, but couldn't remember if he had a small part in clerks. i was just telling jeff that i really liked clerks when it came out because at that time i was working in a small video store myself. one of the best parts is when he tosses the guys keys in the trash can.

i don't know, basstrap. in most good films, i never think that the funniest parts are the most obvious ones, anyway. at least in my opinion. for instance, the girl having sex with the dead guy didn't even make me crack a smile, but the russian metal guy STILL cracks me up, even ten years later.

"wait...did he just say make fuck?"

zonelistener said:

Kevin Smith is no different than some of the "cult-like, Indie bands that sign major label, but still put out not-so mainstream music" you listen too.

I guess you're refering to bands like Wilco and The Flaming Lips?

THing is, they actually have made a lot of great music

Basstrap said:

I guess you're refering to bands like Wilco and The Flaming Lips?

THing is, they actually have made a lot of great music

To name a few...

Indeed. They continue to make good music.

But at the same time, there are indie bands out there that people adore just because they are indie. In reality...they suck.

Chasing Amy is easily the most complete of the films, but I love Dogma and Clerks. Having worked in the service industry through high school and college, I totally understand and appreciate the perspective. I won't say the low-budget and bad acting make it "good," but it does add a certain charm. And yes, he did just say "making fuck."

Back
Top Bottom