clearly i'm an idiot. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 06-21-2002, 12:38 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:27 AM
clearly i'm an idiot.

yeah, well at least when it comes to math. my act scores were...umm...shall we say low? and my math composite score was 13. yeah...i suck at math. so, i get a letter from my university today saying that i have to take math 021 next year. as in, "this is pre-algebra and it doesn't count for a credit, but you sure gotta pay for it." i don't know why this upsets me so much, i know i'm TERRIBLE at math, but, this just hurts the ol'self esteem a bit.

Old 06-21-2002, 12:42 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 04:27 PM

Math is evil. You don't need it in real life unless you do something math-related (I'm so insightful!). And standardized tests aren't a good indication of anything. Look at this way, you're taking an easy math class. And by the time you've finished it, I will have taken over the world and outlawed math anyway.

Old 06-21-2002, 12:44 PM   #3
Local Time: 09:27 AM
I did horrible on my ACTs too... especially in math. Ok I've always been horrible in math. Your uni bases what math you have to take on your ACTs? For U of A we had to take a separate placement test... Anyway, see about taking college algebra at a community college or something. Like, pass/fail..? I don't think I'm helping.

The moral is: I hate math with a passion.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:45 PM   #4
The Flower
Local Time: 08:27 AM
Lilly, Lilly, Lilly...would you PLEASE give yourself a break? You know damn well you are not an idiot. You are a very, very smart girl but you can't be perfect in everything. Everyone has a weakness and if your's happens to be math, so be it. Stop beating yourself up.

*obviously from all me edits, my weakness is spelling
Old 06-21-2002, 12:46 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 11:27 AM

Oh know and I know that you are a smart cookie, so don't let the bastards drag you down!

oh btw, what are you up to this weekend? Call me!
"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono

Old 06-21-2002, 12:47 PM   #6
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 12:27 PM
Awwwww...don't sweat it! You can't be good at everything!

I had a lower math score as well when I took it 3 years ago...I think I had like a 17, but I had like a 30 in overall composite I think was 26.

That meant that I was advised to take MTH 097 (Intermediate Algebra)...I didn't have to, but I figured I could use a stepping stone course before plunging in, since I hated math. The instructor was an ass who predicted on the first day that over half of us would fail...he actually bragged about his high failure rate! That pissed me off though and motivated me, and I got an A+. But then I transferred schools, and since that class was below the 100 level, it didn't transfer. Blarg. *lol*

Takin' a lower math class like that never hurts helped reinforce what I already knew and allowed me to polish my math skills.
"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at]
Old 06-21-2002, 01:15 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.

omg, you are my ahtwin. i had to the same fecking course my frosh yr. in college. but your future you is now working in finance, so your future in math can't be too bad.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:15 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 06:27 PM
I don't know if this helps you besides all the other nice posts already , but today I got a maths test back and I got a D though I was completely sure I'd get that fucking test right......*sniff*.......D doesn't sound that bad, but for me it does......
And, hey, in former times my standard mark was - without lying - an E. It was funny to really try to give the best and in the end you realize that you still suck.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:39 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
but your future you is now working in finance, so your future in math can't be too bad.
thank goodness i scandalized myself to death in pleba...else i woulda had to live that future...
Old 06-21-2002, 01:52 PM   #10
New Yorker

*Giggles and rubs hands together in a sinister fashion*

(Inner Monolouge Speaking)"ONE thing I may be academically better at than Lilly!!!!"

*kicks mini-devil off left shoulder*
JK that certainly sucks fer ya girl!! But let me tell ya your like one of the most intellectualy (and sarcastically) privileged people I''ve met. So hang in there! who cares if you can't, like, "ADD" or "SUBTRACT" or whatever! Math- shmath! If you want I can tutor you.....I only charge $35 per hour.....
Old 06-21-2002, 02:29 PM   #11
The Fly

Originally posted by Ali Rose
[BI only charge $35 per hour..... [/B]
...not what bono said...
Old 06-21-2002, 03:04 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Local Time: 11:27 AM

I had to take the same lame pre algebra course that doesn't count for credit too.....

all because I failed that useless test.
"....But all I ever hear from you is "
Old 06-21-2002, 04:33 PM   #13
love, blood, life
You are NOT an idiot! I had a gap of almost 200 points between my SAT verbal and math scores. And I, too, had to take Math for Dummies at my own college, and I, too, survived it with my GPA (largely) unscathed. Good luck, and remember--math blows.
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:23 PM   #14
War Child
Local Time: 08:27 AM

ah, the ol' subject o' math....well, i USED to HATE HATE HATE HATEEEEEEEEEEEE math......but, then..... i got a cooooooool/ awesome/ stupendous/super-radious teacher and i've had him for 2 yrs. & next yr. making it 3 yrs. in a row!
i wish everyone could have a teacher like him; super cool guy!
great teachers make all the difference! (and believe you me, i could give a shit about teachers before, but, there are decent ones out there!)
Old 06-21-2002, 08:45 PM   #15
love, blood, life
Big Grin

In the grander scheme of things....these tests will mean very little. A trip to Savers will cure all evil.