Clear channel and radio today - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 02:16 PM
Clear channel and radio today

I'm not happy with it, what about you? I have noticed that they seem to buy up a certain group of songs by a certain group of bands and play them over and over. Any 'oldies' or 'classic' rock station is now like this. "Hits" stations just repeat the heavy rotations, with a few older songs.. usually the same ones.. mixed in, such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam classics. I have also noticed that most stations, even some on satellite radio, play the exact same song at the exact same time of the day every day.

Don't you think there needs to be some big overhaul and improvement of radio? No wonder most ppl listen online these days..

Old 05-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 03:16 PM
Terrestial Radio is awful. Did you know NYC doesn't have one real rock station? NYC! Biggest market in the country. We have classic rock, and some psuedo-rock station, but no real "hear it here first" rock stations anymore. Satellite is definitely better, and really seems to be taking off, at least around here, but maybe that's because radio is so bad.

I was under the impression that radio got better as we went west. Even Jersey and PA have decent stations. Chicago (I listen to WOXY online sometimes) and the mid west seems to be pretty good, from what I can tell.

Do you mean a govt imposed overhaul? No, I don't think so. I think what will happen is that people will find news ways to find music, and then the radio stations will be forced to change. I think it's awful how almost all the airwaves, which are technically public, are licensed out to corporations. I think that might need an overhaul, yeah.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver

Do you mean a govt imposed overhaul? No, I don't think so. I think what will happen is that people will find news ways to find music, and then the radio stations will be forced to change. I think it's awful how almost all the airwaves, which are technically public, are licensed out to corporations. I think that might need an overhaul, yeah.
Oh absolutely not! The govt ruins everything! What I'd really like is for stations to go back to being about MUSIC and not greed and profit. Unless that happens, they can expect to lose more listeners to the internet and ipods and have no right to complain about it.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Radio was already dead before Clear Channel. With torrents and forums new music is so easy to find that radio has lost it's purpose: introduce new artists and material. Technology is so far ahead of media norms that most companies don't know what do to. Clear Channel in this case is also at the mercy of copyrights and is stuck with playing the same thing over and over.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Well torrents and forums are great, but they don't help when you're driving, which is really the only time I listen to the radio. So long as there is $ to be made, radio will stay dead. Hopefully it will become costly so that people that love the medium can return to running it.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver
Well torrents and forums are great, but they don't help when you're driving, which is really the only time I listen to the radio.
What I mean is that radio use to be able introducing someone to new music but with torrents and forums it has lost that function.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:16 PM
People still bother listening to radio for music?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
People still bother listening to radio for music?
I listen to this station: http://www.93.9fmradio.com

You can listen online, and it also shows recently played songs at the top. They are the only radio station I've ever heard songs by people like Ryan Adams and Bright Eyes. They also play a lot of U2.

I actually also listen to top 40 though. I hardly ever buy any of it...I'd usually rather spend money on some more solid additions to my collection...but I do enjoy listening.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 05-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

the only time i listen to the radio is to listen to satellite radio. fm radio positively sucks. i'd really rather not hear hey ya, get the party started, and how to save a life for the 50 millionth time.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:16 PM
haha there are so many things about clear channel that suck its impossible to list em all here

for anyone interested in radio, read "hitmen" by fredric dannen
Old 05-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

I listen to this station: http://www.93.9fmradio.com

Me too! It's the best radio station in Detroit.

I used to listen to the "classic rock" stations much more. But the one I really liked turned country last year and the other one keeps playing the same stuff over and over and over and over ...

And the public radio station here ... well, it doesn't play much music of any kind anymore.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:16 PM
KEXP is a really good listener-supported radio station in Seattle. Commercial-free, all "alternative" (if that label is still valid anymore), really good DJs. People listen from all over the world online. John In the Morning always has a good show.

check 'em out: www.kexp.org

I'll agree that radio in general sucks, but I dig those "Jack" stations that have recently popped up all over. Of course it's all preprogrammed and they're probably Clear Channel, but there's no DJs, and I like the free-form randomness of it. Journey followed by Sir Mix-A-Lot, and no chance of hearing Celine Dion. What's not to love?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

I'll agree that radio in general sucks, but I dig those "Jack" stations that have recently popped up all over. Of course it's all preprogrammed and they're probably Clear Channel, but there's no DJs, and I like the free-form randomness of it. Journey followed by Sir Mix-A-Lot, and no chance of hearing Celine Dion. What's not to love?
I know everyone else and their dog loves them for the reasons you just gave, but, sorry, those "Jack" stations make me (we have one; it's "Doug FM" in Detroit).

Maybe I don't want ,to hear some old Journey tune followed by a hip-hop song followed by U2 followed by .... oh, who knows what? Maybe I just want to hear some rock and roll. Maybe I want a dj for time and weather while I'm in my car (where I do the majority of my radio listening).

If I want to hear music I like on shuffle, I'll put my iTunes or iPod on Party Shuffle.

Of course, "no Celine Dion" has appeal ...