Classic rock....Is it as bad as I imagine it to be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
radio format is made for basic listeners , they play best-sellers , i'm interested in that , especially in such stuff as WZLX boston , it's not bad , but too sweet , too correct , that 's why i listen more to tapes , cd's and talk stations , but there are some very good college stations around and jazz oriented stations ( on 101.7 , they got a saturday morning for all that - perfect ) . also why the hell should i devide the decades , i see no real difference , there was shit now and then , everything is changing , fuck those fm commercial stations .

The Cars are great...

Defintely, one thing about classic rock or what people have dubbed "corporate rock" is the musicianship of these bands, especially considering the time period and how today's bands so rely on the studio. Classic rock bands IMO for the most part had better chops then a lot of the alt rock stuff that we hear today.

Its funny, I've grown up with the media, often declaring the 70s as the worst period musically (I guess b/c of disco and corporate rock), but IMO it was pretty strong.

That's something most people don't think of, how the technology was in those days, those people had to do more and were able to. It really bothers me how the media has distorted things and left an impression that really influences some in the wrong way. Thanks for seeing that for yourself, you're smart and have good taste:up: Those bands deserve more credit than they're getting and it's a shame how this has happened.

I can see what you're saying about some getting the wrong idea, but that's not everyone. I see the quality in good classic rock, but I'm simply sick of it. I was born into this era and so it has been there the whole time. Newer rock hasn't had the same outcome yet by wearing thin. Some will continue on and become the next wave of classics. I'm just bored with the old, and uninterested in so much of the new. I just want something good and exciting damnit!
:scream:

Not everybody is going to like everything, and I understand how some of it gets old because some stations play the same 2 or 3 songs by the same bands over and over. I just can't stand to see it called 'junk' or 'no good' because it was good for what it was, and really among the best of its time. I mean if you don't like that kind of music fine and if you're tired of the same songs okay, as long as it is at least respected and not disregarded and joked on. I think we can all do that. Like, I really hate DMB, and I can't stand the way any of their stuff sounds, or his voice. But I do respect them as artists and musicians and I won't say they 'suck' or are 'crap' even though their music is not my type.

Angela Harlem said:
I can see what you're saying about some getting the wrong idea, but that's not everyone. I see the quality in good classic rock, but I'm simply sick of it. I was born into this era and so it has been there the whole time. Newer rock hasn't had the same outcome yet by wearing thin. Some will continue on and become the next wave of classics. I'm just bored with the old, and uninterested in so much of the new. I just want something good and exciting damnit!
:scream:

try Tricky & lamb for a change :| :huh: :|

Classic rock is cool, well some of it. I have to say that I prefer to listen to those stations, rather than the ones that play lots of new r n b, top 40 shite, I absolutely detest r n b and why it is called that amazes me when it is nothing like real blues or rhythm music- argghhhhh, yuk, yuk, yuk:madspit:

anyway the thing that I hate about classic rock stations, well the one that I hear where I live (Triple M Brisbane) is that they really do live up to what Ange said, they have such a repulsive standard rhetoric of 'ockerisms'. All men love the footy (and of course that means rugby league) their 'missus'' are open slather for insult and wise cracks and really they just come across as very pathetic. Really the only good thing about MMM is the 15min traffic updates in the morning and afternoon....... and usually these are followed by or preceeded with artists the likes of, Nickelback, Creed, Matchbox Twenty, or some shit old rocker who I dont like.................:madspit:

How about the Bee Gees, then?

As for the music press distorting the music scene in the 70s...well, they like to heap praise on the bands that the music press was heaping praise on in the 70s, the bands that were only followed by critics, musicians and freaks like meegannie ;)

Similarly today, the bands that are selling millions of albums to people who work desk jobs or just buy their music from department stores will continue to be played on radio in future, because radio is driven by ratings, however those bands won't influence the course of music because the musicians and kids who actually want to start bands are in the underground clubs etc. Its very rare to get a band or artist who transcends those boundaries to top the charts and win the praise of music afficionados. The two groups arent mutually exclusive, but close to it.

Its like what they say in 24 hour party people...only 20 people saw the Sex Pistols play their first gig in Manchester, but every one of those people formed a band.

Last edited:
After The Bee Gees and Chic and shit like that, The Cars were a fabulous breath of goodness on the radio. I still think their debut self titled album is great. "All Mixed Up" is incredible. Steely Dan's 1978 album was a break from the shit too.

It is true that punk is overrated in history. I was in high school in the 1970's and no one really gave a rat's ass. The Sex Pistols were talentless idiots. It was something in England but not much in the states. I still have my mint condition copy of London Calling with the cellophane still on it. Except for London Calling I never liked it. I wonder how much it's worth now.

brettig said:

Its like what they say in 24 hour party people...only 20 people saw the Sex Pistols play their first gig in Manchester, but every one of those people formed a band.

:shrug:
Yes, I suppose Beatles/Stones/The Who/Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/Bob Dylan would count as classic/old rock. (I mean classic in the best possible meaning of the word, as even now, that music is enjoyed by lots of people)

However, lots of people think of stuff like Bon Jovi/Poison/Kiss etc...you know, big hair-80's style music is classic rock.

Real 70's junk is also stuff like Leo Sayer and Pablo Cruise and Player. You probably have never heard of these bands because they did not stand the test of time, because they weren't any good. The bands that you hear on classic rock stations are there because they deserve to be. They have sifted out the junk already.

I have one thing to say about the bands using what they has as Flying FuManchu mentioned. Boston too, Tom Scholz was a student at MIT and he was experimenting using scientific methods. Boston was good. Every song on that first album is a classic.

As far as the London Calling album, how much can I sell it for? Looks like a lot of you like it but I think it sucks shit. I hate the singer's voice, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. I put it away and never played it again. It's not scratched or anything.

GhostranchHills said:
Real 70's junk is also stuff like Leo Sayer and Pablo Cruise and Player. You probably have never heard of these bands because they did not stand the test of time, because they weren't any good. The bands that you hear on classic rock stations are there because they deserve to be. They have sifted out the junk already.
god yes, i hate that shit. my dad loves it which makes it even worse.

you basically just said my definition of classic rock. classic rock is about all i listen to these days, my radio at work and in the car is almost always tuned to the local classic rock station. i consider CR to be music from the 60s, 70s, and mayhaps the early 80s, in one of the various rock genres (punk, new wave, all that can fit into the larger rock genre, imo they're just subgenres that describe what *kind* of rock a band plays.) that's stood the test of time. is it cringeworthy? then it's not CR. is it over-the-top stuff like styx, for example? then it's not CR. is it hair metal? then it's not CR.

that is all.

This classic rock talk forced me to make a CR comp:

The Band- The Weight
The Doors- Roadhouse Blues
The Doobie Brothers- Listen To The Music
Elton John- Rocket Man
Janis Joplin- Me & Bobby McGee
Jimi Hendrix- Manic Depression
The Rolling Stones- Brown Sugar
The Kinks- All Day And All Of The Night
CCR- Looking Out My Backdoor
Eric Clapton- Layla