Classic rock....Is it as bad as I imagine it to be? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2004, 10:05 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:35 PM
Classic stuff I listen to and would recommend:

Classic rock: Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix

"Classic" metal: Led Zeppelin

"Classic" punk: Velvet underground, the Clash, the Ramones

Old 03-04-2004, 01:25 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:35 AM
our classic rock station worships zeppelin. in fact, for 4 hours a night every single fucking day, that's all they play. and then they play atleast 2 songs every hour for the rest of the day. if i wanted to listen to them that often, i'd put on a cd.

i've heard some wierder stuff on other classic rock stations. pearl jam, ok...but rancid?? yeah that was just odd.

Old 03-04-2004, 03:23 AM   #18
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:35 AM
AC/DC
Old 03-04-2004, 10:52 AM   #19
New Yorker

AC/DC's "Powerage"

I'm not much of a fan of the band except for that album.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:17 PM   #20
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:35 AM

you might want to give "Stiff Upper Lip" a try then
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 03-04-2004, 01:27 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:35 AM
Just because something is old doesn't make it classic, just like everything old isn't worthy of being sold in an antique store. It has to have certain quality, or value to enough people. It has to be loved by millions, whether or not you love it personally. For example, I know many more people who love Styx, REO, Journey and Boston than the Ramones or the Clash. More of their songs are played on the classic stations because people want to hear them. I recently found out that certain bands sell their songs to agencies that sell their songs in bulk to stations, which explains why so many of some and not much of others are heard. I always wondered why.

Right now, I'd like to punch whoever sold "We Are The Champions" to the Viagara commercial WHY?!
Old 03-04-2004, 01:43 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:35 AM
I really like some classic rock, like the Beatles, early Stones, Pink Floyd, Dylan, Hendrix. Some really sucks.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:23 PM   #23
New Yorker

Hmm....yeah, I guess a lot of the groups mentioned on here as 'classic rock' do fit that scary stereotype for me. That said, the classic rock station here plays a ton of Bob Dylan, the Beatles (which I agree, not really in MY 'classic rock' category), and Neil Young. I can almost be assured to hear 'Old Man' at least once a day. I suppose I do think of good people like Young, Dylan, Pink Floyd, the doors, etc as classic rock. And they're good, so... I think the location you are in matters. For instance, the classic rock listened to at the backwoods country bar down the road is surely SCARY.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:32 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

20 years from now... numetal bands will be consider the classics.

Old 03-04-2004, 02:56 PM   #25
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Jimi - I was actually just listening to Voodoo Child this morning actually. That double remasted set of 2 CD's is worth checking out megan.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:53 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo
20 years from now... numetal bands will be consider the classics.

I don't think so. Like I said everything old isn't 'classic' it has to have some kind of value. But most music the last few years has been so bad I fear what, if anything will be classic

Seriously, you guys trashing those classic 70's bands have no idea, that was the good stuff back then! I was just a kid but I love Kansas and Boston and those kind of bands rocked! I mean there was some real shit out at the time, like disco, country crossover, cheesy, really cheesy pop and really corny ballads, stuff that would never even be made today it's so bad. Led Zeppelin had no album between 76 and 80. The Who put out Who's Next in 78 and then Keith Moon died. The Stones were really not that good at that point putting out disco crap like Black and Blue. They did hit big with Some Girls, but mostly the bands you speak of were either not a factor or not active for years so consider what it was up against at the time. You all glorify Clash and Ramones but back then nobody really heard of them. I remember when The Ramones did Rock and Roll High School back in '79 and everybody was like, who?? The Clash never hit until late 79 or early 80 and had 2 hits max in the US. I really believe history, especially Vh1, has given a distorted retrospect of the music scene in those days.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:01 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

I remember the little boys in my second grade all had KISS lunch boxes

Speaking of the really cheesy pop, when I was a kid I had 45's of "Undercover Angel" and "Heaven on the 7th Floor" now you don't know how good Kansas sounds next to that!
Old 03-04-2004, 10:39 PM   #28
New Yorker

I agree with U2Kitten in that the media probably does hype up the Clash and the Ramones too much and not give enough credit or attention to what was popular during the mid to late 70s... bands that fall into the classic rock genre. Foreigner, Boston, Peter Frampton, Ted Nugent, Cheap Trick, etc.

I bet the same will be done with a lot of the nu-metal bands and such which is such crap and to me a load of BS. You may not like nu-metal but it is part of the history of music and played a major part in America... to ignore it is just wrong especially since even what we opine as "bad music" influences some of our favorite artists.

Anyways...

in terms of 70s rock/ classic rock... I'm not a huge fan but I don't mind it and enjoy some of it. Boston's "More Than a Feeling" is just classic...

One thing that is enjoyable about classic rock is that they actually have guitar solos... Screw the attitude of "I don't believe in extended guitar solos b/c they don't add anything to song" or the "I don't believe in guitar solos going longer than a few bars" . 70s classic rock bands truly believed in the solo and chugged them out with no problem and they are fun. Wish more bands had that kind of attitude...
Old 03-05-2004, 08:04 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Thank you Fu

Yes More Than a Feeling is a classic, one of the ten best rock anthems of all time. I can't stand to see so many good bands of the late 70's joked on because VH1 calls them 'corporate rock' and some people don't even give them a chance. I was raised on that stuff and personally love it. Cheap Trick is another, and The Cars, kind of the beginnings of new wave rock. There is a reason these bands are called 'classic' and are so loved and played 25 years later. Believe me, there was a lot of garbage around that has never hit th classic stations and never will. As time goes by the shit dissolves and the good stuff lives on.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:19 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, and YES is an amazing, talented, spacey, trippy band. They have some very beautiful songs, some very long, good quality stuff. They are very underappreciated probably because mostly all you hear on the radio is Roundabout and I've Seen All Good People. Listen to Fragile, The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, so much good stuff in their catalog. They are very talented and some of them are classically trained musicians. They have to be one of the most underrated classic bands. They're on their 35th anniversary tour this year and I wish I could go!