"City Of God"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
I saw this movie tonight. Has anyone else seen it?

Best movie I have seen in a long time.

Gangs of New York will make a lot more money and get more awards. This is a better and more important film.
. A chicken, intended as part of the pre-battle feast of a street gang in a Rio slum, escapes and is pursued by the demented young warriors, waving pistols and firing at the fugitive fowl. They turn into a narrow road where Rocket stands behind the chicken brandishing a camera. Behind him appears a row of heavily armed cops, and suddenly Rocket is caught in the middle, the likely object of crossfire between ruthless outlaws and corrupt authority. At this cliffhanging point he is introduced as the film's narrator, and the movie flashes back to the Sixties to explain how he came to be there. The film subsequently covers almost a couple of decades in the interwoven lives of a group of kids from the same slum neighbourhood called City of God, often slipping back in time to fill in the details of a career. Finally it returns nearly two hours later to the chicken trying to cross the road. It is a bravura opening, and the rest of the picture lives up to it.
...Meirelles never dwells on anything. With harsh lighting, fast cutting, speeded-up action, jump cuts and much use of a fluid hand-held camera, his film moves with the lightning speed of a hungry young boxer punching way above his weight in round after bloody round. At times its explosive violence resembles Brian De Palma's venture into the Hispanic underworld, Scarface, though it is far less glamorous. More often it brings to mind Scorsese's Goodfellas in the way it covers a couple of decades in its characters' lives in an apparently non-judgmental manner. Had City of God opened last week it would have been on my 10 Best list of 2002. It will be a remarkable year that keeps this film off anyone's 2003 list.
IMAGEM10.jpg
COG_poster.jpg
IMAGEM14.jpg

Last edited:
maybe follower saw it

meegannie said:
I've really been wanting to see that.

It is only playing in 5-6 theaters nation wide.

I hope you get a chance to see it.

It is not always easy to watch, but an amazing film.

haha. I thought this was about the church song. :rolleyes: We used to sing it every week during morning mass when I went to Catholic school.

emily,

It is nice to sing songs in church.

This is a movie about where God's blessings could surely be used.

Last edited:
meegannie said:
I've really been wanting to see that.

Ok megannie,

It is playing in Bethesda and DC.

here

you can write it off, ...research for work.

Back
Top Bottom