Cinnaminson, New Jersey Superthread - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #151
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Just about everything 10 touches these days is five different kinds of shit. I can't believe they, of all people, had the good sense to bring back Good News Week - and they still manage to poison it with stupid cross-promotional bollocks that I'm sure McDermott & Co. must find bloody nauseating.

True. I guess I'm just not overly entertained by that sort of egocentric acting, except in a let's-laugh-at-it kind of way. I imagine I would have rather enjoyed seeing the classic shoegazers go about their stuff ... that's really what music's all about to me. If I wanted theatre, I'd go see a play, you know?

Also, the idea of bumping into Jagger at an IGA is fucking hysterical.
I imagine GNW are probably still pissed off they're on 10 rather than ABC, anyway. Must shit them every time they're on air and have to reference Big Brother or whatever.

I only laugh at it, usually. But I think most performers like Jagger understand that absolutely. They just want the audience to be entertained, and I personally love that. It's not exactly theatre. Combining theatre with pop music could be nothing but a rubbish idea. I fucking hated the characters Bono played as in Zoo TV. Maybe it's just because of his overacting. There's a fine line between laughing at something and finding it downright irritating. Not shoegazers, for example! But of course, I don't expect most bands do get all like that. Or even any these days. Frontmen have such little character now that it's just not worth it. If it did happen, it would be part of the individual's own desire.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #152
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Lunch needs to go cook itself.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #153
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Vox View Post
I read that entirely differently the first time.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I've already sent him Nowhere.

Bizarrely, I don't recall him digging Seagull. SEAGULL.
What the fuck. Oh well, opinions, etc.

In that case, though Whirlpool by Chapterhouse, or Souvlaki by Slowdive, or Death of Cool by Kitchens of Distinction. I love all them. Also Ax, do you have Adorable's Against Perfection? I just remembered that being an album I've looked about for, maybe for a few years now.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #155
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularBonoFan View Post
I read that entirely differently the first time.
That was the point.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #156
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
I imagine GNW are probably still pissed off they're on 10 rather than ABC, anyway. Must shit them every time they're on air and have to reference Big Brother or whatever.

I only laugh at it, usually. But I think most performers like Jagger understand that absolutely. They just want the audience to be entertained, and I personally love that. It's not exactly theatre. Combining theatre with pop music could be nothing but a rubbish idea. I fucking hated the characters Bono played as in Zoo TV. Maybe it's just because of his overacting. There's a fine line between laughing at something and finding it downright irritating. Not shoegazers, for example! But of course, I don't expect most bands do get all like that. Or even any these days. Frontmen have such little character now that it's just not worth it. If it did happen, it would be part of the individual's own desire.
Yeah, I don't know how they put up with it. I'm glad it's back on air though, since I wasn't familiar with it during its time on the ABC.

Not saying it's theatre per se, just that it weaves the music with stage/entertainment qualities I'm not entirely into. I guess they go with that sort of music, though. As for ZooTV, I thought Mirrorball Man was fucking genius. MacPhisto had his moments but was milked too much - did we really need those longwinded speeches? Better than longwinded One speeches, but still too much for a rock show.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #157
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Vox View Post
That was great.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #158
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
That was great.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #159
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Also Ax, do you have Adorable's Against Perfection? I just remembered that being an album I've looked about for, maybe for a few years now.
No, I don't, but it's on Sordo!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #160
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I don't know how they put up with it. I'm glad it's back on air though, since I wasn't familiar with it during its time on the ABC.

Not saying it's theatre per se, just that it weaves the music with stage/entertainment qualities I'm not entirely into. I guess they go with that sort of music, though. As for ZooTV, I thought Mirrorball Man was fucking genius. MacPhisto had his moments but was milked too much - did we really need those longwinded speeches? Better than longwinded One speeches, but still too much for a rock show.
Yeah, it's certainly cool having it back. Good nostalgia, and the show actually does seem to be funnier than most other Australian TV at the moment. Not that that would be hard at all, of course. But nonetheless!

Of course, how the music matches with such performances is a big thing. Even Jagger is going to act different depending on the mood of the song. I wonder if he'd do the same stuff if he wrote a death metal track. We'll have to find out!

Mirrorball Man I had the least qualms with. Some degree of cleverness there, but mostly just groaning. Louder as the tour progressed. The Fly's accent was just confusing. Hard to believe Zoo was my favourite era for so long.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
No, I don't, but it's on Sordo!
Sweet. I'm gonna download it when my internet isn't playing up. Which may be the start of the next month.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #162
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:16 AM
well, I reckon it was just a brief drive-by. Woke up late and got things to do. See you later.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #163
Blue Crack Addict

Catch ya, Registration!

These damn pain killers aren't working!
Old 07-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #164
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularBonoFan View Post
well, I reckon it was just a brief drive-by. Woke up late and got things to do. See you later.
Later sis!
Old 07-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #165
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Catch ya, Registration!

These damn pain killers aren't working!
What's bothering you?

Tags
superthread