Cinderella Man - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2005, 06:55 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:31 PM

Crowe vs. Clooney, Round 3

Russell Crowe, whose critical kudos for "Cinderella Man" failed to translate to big box office this weekend, just can't seem to break out of his brawling character. Not only did he get arrested early Monday morning after allegedly channeling Naomi Campbell and winging a phone at a hotel employee's face, but the temperamental Oscar winner is once again sparring with George Clooney, this time by taking jabs at his acting skills.

Seems Crowe is still steamed over the former Sexiest Man Alive's remarks back in February, when he dissed the prickly Aussie actor's band, Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts, calling it "a bad use of celebrity."

George, you'll recall, was responding to Russell's accusation that shilling products is "a complete contradiction of the [bleeping] social contract you have with your audience."

Not one to let things lie (as that beleaguered hotel employee apparently learned the hard way), Crowe now says Clooney is unable to play anyone except George Clooney.

"The contract is to live up to the job," he says (via Australia's Sunday Herald Sun). "The job is to take on other characters, otherwise just call every character you play the same name, mate. What's the character in this film, George? George, is it? Good, George. George plays George in the new movie, 'George.'"

(This same charge was often leveled at Cary Grant, whose career didn't turn out too shabby, even by Crowe's exacting standards.)

Although the volatile "Gladiator" star doesn't have much of a sense of humor when it comes to his art (in 2002, he berated a producer at the BAFTAs who had the audacity to cut short his acceptance speech), he claims he was amused by Clooney's comments.

"I had a good laugh when Clooney tried to align his doing ads for suits and a car and a drink -- a full commercial portfolio -- to what I do as a musician," he explains of his little-heard recordings. "An endorsement for products is about money. My music is from the heart."

Crowe, who has boasted that his new ditty "Raewyn" "is the only song I've ever written that has made both men and women cry, think, and call their parents, usually in that order," also takes issue with Clooney co-opting "Ocean's Eleven" from those he considers true talents.

"But what I enjoyed, greatly, is nobody seemed to get the irony that one major franchise in George Clooney's life is based on the work of Sammy Davis Jr., Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin," he rails. "Sammy, Frank and Dean were entertainers in a real sense. And Clooney climbed over their bones in order to enable him to pick up an endorsement for suits."

But hey, don't get the wrong idea from that whole "climbed over their bones" thing. Insists Crowe, "This is not an attack on George. I've got nothing against him. I've only met him once and I thought he was a charming bloke. But I have a really old-fashioned attitude about the work. I believe if you take on characters for a living, you can't suddenly make that a singular iconographic in order to sell a pair of shoes or a credit card."

And it turns out Clooney (who, by the by, packed on the pounds to transform himself in the upcoming drama "Syriana") isn't the only actor to have his thespian cred questioned by Crowe. He's also duking it out with Craig Bierko, who goes mano-a-mano with him in "Cinderella Man."

"Craig was really out of his depth. He'd never been in this sort of movie and never had this type of responsibility. There was no possibility of failure," Crowe recently told Entertainment Weekly. "He kind of came in with ... this sort of foppish, Long Island kind of actor-y idea. And it's like, 'Mate, you cannot hide with this. You're in a pair of shorts and boots -- that's it, buddy.' I had to help him get into that groove."

Crowe's idea of "help": excluding Bierko -- and only Bierko -- from his 40th birthday party on the Toronto set of the Ron Howard-directed flick.

"I was like, I get it!" Bierko told the Los Angeles Times last month. "It was made very clear to me by people involved in the movie that Russell wouldn't be friendly to me because I was playing his adversary. Not because of any other reason than that's how Russell works ... You have to allow yourself to be caught up in it, and then you have to let it go. And it's a very tricky thing to do. There's not a lot of actors who do that anymore. This guy is helping you -- helping you want to kill him."

Crowe was arraigned Monday on charges of second-degree assault and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon (i.e. the phone). He's due back in court Sept. 14.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:36 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Crowe, who has boasted that his new ditty "Raewyn" "is the only song I've ever written that has made both men and women cry, think, and call their parents, usually in that order,"
He forgot "puke and jab sharp objects into their ears to attempt to pierce their eardrums to make "Raewyn" go away.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:16 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:31 PM
I think Crowe is a jerk. He needs to stop acting like he's better than everyone else.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:57 PM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 06:31 PM

Russell Crowe is the most misunderstood man in the movies today. I am so sick of the media tagging people with stereotypical personalities. Most people have several layers of personality.

So what if RC has a temper and doesn't like talking to reporters? He just likes making good movies, but realizes there's more to life than movies and playing the celebrity game. It's just too bad that he comes off as seeming "better than everyone else" He doesn't give a shit if everyone likes him or not. I find it refreshing.

Oh, and in related topics...

Cinderella Man = as close to a perfect movie as I've seen in YEARS.

30 Odd Foot of Grunts (now disbanded ) = great albums and AWESOME shows! He remains my 2nd favorite lead singer (living).
Old 06-09-2005, 12:27 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:31 AM
Different people have very different opinions of him, and with everything he says, you think "jerk" but also "he's right". His actions though are nothing short of thuggish and downright stupid for so many reasons.

One thing is true though; he's a fucking outstanding actor, and on screen certainly leaves people like George Clooney well and truly in his dust. In fact there are probably only 4 or 5 (if that) well known ('A list') actors that could even dare be listed alongside him.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:48 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by u2girlcj

30 Odd Foot of Grunts (now disbanded ) = great albums and AWESOME shows! He remains my 2nd favorite lead singer (living).
I agree with your entire post, u2girlcj! But I had to single this part out. I saw TOFOG at a show in Austin, Texas, and it was one of the most amazing concerts I've ever been to.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:01 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I agree, he is an outstanding actor

But maybe his seeming lack of humility and macho posturing tends to detract from all that. I remember when he was filming Beautiful Mind and he gave the finger to some college students who were watching him film..is that really necessary?

He acts like an overgrown boy sometimes, and it looks classless. What's the need to start a catfight with George Clooney? He should just let his talent speak for itself.

The movie was fantastic and I wish more people would see it.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:40 AM   #23
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by miss becky

I agree with your entire post, u2girlcj! But I had to single this part out. I saw TOFOG at a show in Austin, Texas, and it was one of the most amazing concerts I've ever been to.
Was that the show that they taped for the DVD? SO Good! I saw them in Portland on that tour and then the Chicago show for the last album and I just loved both those shows!!! I want to learn to play the trumpet like Stewart!!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:31 AM   #24
Refugee

Jessica and I saw this movie, and we both liked it a lot.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:01 AM   #25
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:31 PM
Did anyone see him on Letterman?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:50 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

I saw the movie last night (70 years after the Max baer fight).

Good movie.

Bulldog of Bergen (county, where I grew up).

I think they did a great job turning Maple Leaf Gardens and Toronto to look as if it were Depression era NYC.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:31 PM
didnt see him on letterman, but did see him conan last week, he was pretty funny..
i think hes misunderstood like sean penn is
Old 06-17-2005, 09:09 PM   #28
War Child

2 weeks later, I still think this movie is as close to perfect as they come. Why aren't more people seeing it? Was #6 last week.

go see it!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2005, 09:55 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:31 PM
i have no $,
working like a dog getting bitten by dogs [literally], money comes and goes i never get a good look at it
damn thee expenses and bills
Old 06-18-2005, 09:03 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by u2girlcj

Russell Crowe is the most misunderstood man in the movies today. I am so sick of the media tagging people with stereotypical personalities. Most people have several layers of personality.

So what if RC has a temper and doesn't like talking to reporters? He just likes making good movies, but realizes there's more to life than movies and playing the celebrity game. It's just too bad that he comes off as seeming "better than everyone else" He doesn't give a shit if everyone likes him or not. I find it refreshing.

Oh, and in related topics...

Cinderella Man = as close to a perfect movie as I've seen in YEARS.

Wow, I completely agree. You know why people think Russell's a jerk? B/c tabloids and other trash like US Weekly and People can't stand him b/c he refuses to be part of the whole Hollywood celeb scene. OH NO we've got a man who prefers to stay home in Australia w/ his wife and kid and gets pissed when paparazzi stalk him!!! I don't really give a shit how accessible he is b/c it doesn't change the fact that Crowe is a complete package - he's hot, he's an amazing actor, and he's got his own personality whether it fits the mold or not.

If you don't like him, fine, but don't judge his talent based on that. You can be thankful he'll return to hiding in Australia as soon as the movie hype fades.