Cigarette Smoke?.. Better than Cigar Smoke???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonite

I'm a chauvinist leprechaun
I'm just wondering if any of you know the logistics behind this break in logic..

At many restaurants.. Smoking is allowed.. though not all smoking.. At the bottom of many menus there is a small print type saying 'Cigar and Pipe Smoking Not Allowed'..

Now this confuses the hell out of me, Because, It is a standard fact that Pipe Tobacco in general is as aromatic as Smoke comes.. And Cigar is really not that far behind.. So.. That kinda knocks out the 'Oh those smell worse than Cigarettes' argument..

Does anyone know the logistics for this.. I'm just passing the blame onto some incompetent redneck who has some sort of aristocratic complex with Cigars and Pipes.. But seriously.. Anyone know? Because I can't figure it out...

The last puzzle left unsolved by,

L.Unplugged

ummm.. Hahaha.. I most certainly did not expect that logic.. I can only laugh...

but thanks for your responses cuz I didn't know what the thinking was.. and still.. I'm not so sure.. Oh well.. Here's to another Macanudo

Enjoy your cancer,

L.Unplugged

Lemonite said:
I most certainly did not expect that logic..

what logic did you expect us to use? science? restaurants' policies for things like this are based on opinion, and what customers complain a lot about. why do you think so many places now only have non-smoking?

KhanadaRhodes said:

what logic did you expect us to use? science? restaurants' policies for things like this are based on opinion, and what customers complain a lot about. why do you think so many places now only have non-smoking?

I just never expected people to have such strong attachments to Cigarette smoke over Cigar Smoke or Aromatic Pipe Smoke that they do.... But.. (An alternate explanation) maybe people are too addicted to Cigarettes to knock them.. or coomplain that they themselves give up their ammonia laced concoctions they happily suck in.. Maybe.. But anyways.. I guess It's just something I, among many others do not understand that a great many more do..

Just a little story.. My older brother was in this bar.. and I'm not sure of the policy, but He lit up a fine cigar (No Philly or White Owl) and some redneck leaned over and was like 'Boy.. Do you mind putting that out.. It's bothering us'.. Then About five minutes later this guy's girlfriend, lights up and puffs away.. All you can do is laugh..

About that non smoking point.. Did you hear that some kid won a lawsuit against his mother that she can't smoke anywhere.. No.. Not just when he's around.. She Can't Smoke at all.. because this kid complained.. about how the residual scent of twelve hours ago traumatizes him.. Geezus. talk about Civil Libertianized. Haha..

L.Unplugged

Last edited:
i dunno, i don't like cigarette smoke, so i don't smoke them.

however i love cigar smoke, and therfore smoke cigars. ditto with a pipe.

Lemonite said:
About that non smoking point.. Did you hear that some kid won a lawsuit against his mother that she can't smoke anywhere.. No.. Not just when he's around.. She Can't Smoke at all.. because this kid complained.. about how the residual scent of twelve hours ago traumatizes him..

well it does reek afterwards, but i wouldn't say it's traumatizing. i should sue my dad, since i'm allergic to cigarette smoke and all. :D

some towns (like the 'progressive-minded' do-gooders of Princeton, NJ -- home to the University) have determined that smoking cannot be tolerated at all, not only in all public restaurants, bars and pubs -- but outside in the open air as well. now this was overturned by the voters, who decided the do-gooder anti-smoking activists were full of hot air (this is also a town, incidentally, that banned deer hunting only to rescind the ban when residents began plowing into bambis on a regular basis with their BMWs and Mercedes, they actually brought in snipers to "decrease the surplus population," to borrow a line from Dickens)

I smoke a few cigarettes on ocassion (when I'm at the bar usually), but I would always prefer a rich, full-bodied cigar any day over the chain-smoking of cigarettes that goes on... give me a good, deep draw on a fine cigar every minute or so complimented by a savory brandy or scotch... mmmm... but no place allows this because of all the whiners who proceed to smoke 30 cigarettes each over the stretch of a few hours

*ahem* The fly has spoken truly. My newest vice (which I should state up front is NOT a habit, nor will it become one) is enjoying a nice cigar occassionally. I hate the smell of cigarettes, they make me ill, and I have never touched them. Cigar or pipe smoke can be very aromatic, and I've never minded it (as long as someone wasn't blowing it in my face). I can understand why some places don't let you smoke them because I suppose the smoke is a bit thicker, but :huh:

I do not enjoy smelling any of them, and I think The Wanderer should be banned from smoking them anywhere within 1,000 miles of me.

My favorite smoke smell is that of pit barbecue; and of the inhalant types like those in this thread I must oddly admit that the most pleasant is the small of dope from about 15 feet away (at many of the hippy concerts I attend).

~U2Alabama

No, it doesn't have any effect on me. But I usually leave the show with a headache, which probably has more to do with the presence of unbathed hippies.

~U2Alabama

stonedsmilie.gif

The Wanderer said:
I smoke a few cigarettes on ocassion (when I'm at the bar usually), but I would always prefer a rich, full-bodied cigar any day over the chain-smoking of cigarettes that goes on... give me a good, deep draw on a fine cigar every minute or so complimented by a savory brandy or scotch... mmmm... but no place allows this because of all the whiners who proceed to smoke 30 cigarettes each over the stretch of a few hours

Hahha.a. Yes.. Beautiful.. I like your style..

Yah.. If I'm ever told that people can't smoke in the nightclub/bar I'm going to build... Oh geez.. That's like telling these teenage girls they can't wear halter tops.

Ah yes... The secondary High... I remember my days at a Ruff Ryders/Cash Money Concert.. I was up off the floor and you could see this Haze about thirty feet off the ground.. Hahhaa.. It was quite a sight.. Andyes, It's very sweet.. Also.. I went to this movie.. Romeo Must Die... and I'm just chilling there and this black guy sits down in front of me and my friends and is like.. "Youngblood, You mind If Liiiight Up".. and of course to sound cool... we're like 'Aw Naw Man.. Go Ahead'.. So he proceeds to roll up from a sliced philly wrapper and just leans his head back and blows these amazing smoke rings.. After a while I thought they looked like Picassos.

L.Unplugged

Last edited:
I smoke cigs on a reg basis. I smoke cigars on the an often occasion, and an older friend of mine that is really cool smokes a pipe and he lets me have some all the time that I am around and he is smoking it. Out of all the smells, I like the pipe the most. When ever I do smell a pipe it reminds me of my Uncle. He always smells like vanilla or some other flavor pipe smoke. aahhhh the memories of home and youth. *sigh* :sad:

EDITED for sentence correction.

Last edited:
Well, I've smoked for 15 years and I finally quit August 28, 2001 and have remained smoke free since then. (Sorry to boast, it's just that I've never gone so long without smoking and am proud of myself. *pats self on back*).

Now, I'll admit, I am one of those hypocrite non-smoking preachers. Even though I smoked for all those years, I CANNOT stand the smell of cigarette or cigar smoke. Pipe smoke is actually a pleasant smell for me, I love it. But cigarettes and cigars :no: :barf:

Back
Top Bottom