Chrome Dreams II and all things Neil Young

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I read a comment somewhere that said only Neil Young could do a sequel to an album that was never released. While I don't think Neil Young is the only one who can do it, it's such a Neil Young thing to do.

I was looking forward to Chrome Dreams II with a mixture of anticipation and nervousness. Mostly because I haven't much liked his 2000's output. I liked some of the songs on Are You Passionate and I grew fond of Greendale and liked some of the "In Your Face" of Living With War--(which I enjoyed more live than on the album although you couldn't get much more direct than Let's Impeach the President.) But I wasn't connecting much to the music. "Prairie Wind" got a lot of acclaim, but it did nothing for me although I understood the personal nostalgia of it.

But I can embrace Chrome Dreams II with enthusiasm. I knew Ordinary People from bootlegs, but loved the 18 minute version that I was surprised they played on the radio. I like the mix of different styles. I'm glad to see guitar back. I'm glad to see the mix of hope and dark again. I'm glad to have the imagery back. I have to admit if the opening track "Beautiful Bluebird" was the first track I'd heard, I would have thought "Oh, Shit."
I can hear some echoes of Are You Passionate and Mirrorball and wonder if maybe they were outtakes. But this blend works.

The edge is back. I can even handle the sweet tracks.

Can't wait to see Neil on November 27, 2007 at Massey Hall in Toronto, Canada
Ambulance Blues!!!
Campaigner!!!!
Like A Hurricane!!!!!
A Man Needs A Maid!!!!!!
I'd pay the price of a ticket just to hear these gems.

BonosSaint said:
Ah, I need a review.

Here's my quick review from last week in LA

First half acoustic included A Man Needs a Maid, Harvest, After the Gold Rush & Old Man.

Second half was electric and included The Loner (great opener after intermission), Cinnamon Girl, Everybody Knows this is Nowhere, Tonight's the Night. The second night omitted Tonight's the Night and replaced with Like a Hurricane and Cortez the Killer :drool:

The show was excellent. I like the stories during the acoustic set, half the time he veers off from the original thought and ends up somewhere else. During one story, he mentioned how he was losing track of what he wanted to say in the first place, then said hell with it, it's easier through song anyways. And went into 'Old Man'. :yes:

Have fun!

Thank you for the review. A lot of songs I haven't heard him do live and I've seen him many times.

Back
Top Bottom