Christmas -- what did you give?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
We have a what did you get thread. So here's a what did you give thread. Go on -- spill.

(I need to figure out who to suck up to next year.... :wink: )

I bought a Robo Raptor for my 11 year old niece (she's been really wanting one :) ). Also got her a couple of smaller things -- finger puppets and various art supplies (she loves to draw, paint and make sculpy dragons -- which are amazingly good actually and show a great sense of humour :yes: ).

But other than her gifts I'm such a slacker -- I still have to get something for each of my sibs. :reject:

My mom-one of those huge microfur blankets..shes been wanting one of those for eons now...underwear and socks and some shoes from Lands End.

Dad-what do you get an alcoholic? A Mr Beer kit:happy:

His^wife-PJ's

My Brother- just got his first house...a snazzy blender and thing that does everything:huh: hard to explain and I took him to the 12/5 U2 show.

My little sister- blocks, a giant book on whales, color your own mug and zoo animals...she's three:cute:

Mr. Dis- waterproof motorcycle pants..I made him a blanket:heart: Underwear, a expensive pair of sicssors:rolleyes: he has this thing about nice sicssors:huh: :hmm: a DVD..some other things....

Mr. Dis's parents-a plug in to your car cooler, a vaccum sealer, and some candy.

Mr. Dis's sister-just got her first apt...owns nada...a nice pot and pan set and some cook books

everyone else because my American Express card may explode if I touch it again....I made them cookies.

well I didn't techincally get all these things but it's what my family gave out:

grandma and grandpa- new set of pots and pans
aunt- cute mirror thing and makeup bag
uncle- gift card to Home Depot :lol:
cousin- iPod nano
other cousin- speakers for her iPod
great grandma- gift card to the supermarket :lmao:
great grandpa- cardigan sweater

AWF-$25
AHA-$25
Breast Cancer Research Fdtn-$25
Donation to school dance program on behalf of a co worker who lost their daughter last week-$25

My dog-stocking full of greenies, boneys and a Xmas collar she hates to wear
My sister-down blanket, stocking full of silly stuff & her Portland tix
My Mom-Christmas flowers
My son-digital camera, small coffeemaker, stocking full of silly stuff
Co gift for friend-Canon digital camera
Work friends-Sees candycanes
Neighbors-movie tickets & card
2 friends-Hollywood Video movie packages
Boss-contributed to Home Depo gift cert from dept. for him to replace stuff lost in his barn fire this year

I made Baklava for my mum, it was about 3 inches thick and I made the syrup with cloves, cinnamon (boiled down in water the flavour), honey, sugar and rosewater. It was a very fine pastry.

I also gave my Dad a P.J. O'Rourke book and my sister got a copy of Team America: World Police.

Mmmm I love Baklava......it's not easy to make either, especially keeping that phyllo dough from drying out and flaking all over the place. The smell as it slowly bakes is like HEAVEN! :drool:

The trick is to use wet cloth to cover it thus keeping it dry. Also obscene ammounts of melted butter brushed on keeps it from drying out once layed down.

The nut mix can be hurried with a blender just add the proper ammounts of dutch cinnamon, sugar, almonds and other nuts (if you wnat them in there).

The syrup is the hard part, too wet and it turns the cooked baklava into moosh, too toffee and it makes it rock hard. You have to have just the right consistency to saturate it and the phylo just soaks it up like a sponge. A small bit of ouzo for good measure can't hurt either.

I also use way too much physics in the kitchen such as copper mixing bowls for egg and cooling things in icy water.

A_Wanderer said:
The trick is to use wet cloth to cover it thus keeping it dry. Also obscene ammounts of melted butter brushed on keeps it from drying out once layed down.

The nut mix can be hurried with a blender just add the proper ammounts of dutch cinnamon, sugar, almonds and other nuts (if you wnat them in there).

The syrup is the hard part, too wet and it turns the cooked baklava into moosh, too toffee and it makes it rock hard. You have to have just the right consistency to saturate it and the phylo just soaks it up like a sponge. A small bit of ouzo for good measure can't hurt either.

I also use way too much physics in the kitchen such as copper mixing bowls for egg and cooling things in icy water.

Oh that is a nice gift. I used to make baklava too (my sisters hubby at the time was Greek, so it was always a big hit. And you're right about the butter -- holy crap, you can just feel your arteries clogging up! But it's sooooo good. :)

Once I poured so much of the syrup in the pastery actually floated. :yikes: I took it a bit easier the next time...

Dad : Pair of boots (40$ with a special sale, I paid the half)
Mom : Elizabeth Arden - 5th Avenue perfume (75$)
Maxime : Shirt (22$)
School friends : Chocolates (20$)
Marc-André : Mini radio player for a gift trade (25$)
Boyfriend : Matrix I and Animatrix and a drawing (35$ + part of my soul ;))
Julie : Shoes (normaly 45$ but paid 23$ because of a sale)
Nicolas : 2 CDs (35$)
Grandma : Scuplture made by me (priceless lol)
Total : 255$

Got my mom The Legend Of Johnny Cash box set thing.

Got my dad Cinderella Man & 40 Year Old Virgin dvds.

Got Miss imp13 a Puma purse/bag thing (several months ago we saw a girl with one and she went nuts over it, she was so surprised i remembered) the Rent soundtrack, Coldplay Live 2003 cd/dvd, a pack of her favorite gummi bears and a pack of her favorite Crystal Light, and I made her a 14 page detailing of some of the biggest days of the past year we spent together, from the first kiss all the way up to the last date we went on as of the time I wrote it, what we wore, ate, did, how i felt about it then and how I feel now

I think I did pretty good.

Got my mom a nice set of coffee cups, which she will use as tea cups, because I think she probably consumes 15% of the gross tonnage of tea imported to Canada every year by herself. Plus our mugs are all a mishmash of individually collected ones, and we don't really have any 'sets' to speak of... I mean, we have a couple, but none that she (or we, for that matter) ever use. I think she'll like these ones. They're red, so they go with our yellow/orangey kitchen, they go with our rosey dining room, and they go with our earthy brown/green living room... not that she'd care much about whether they go with stuff or not, but anyway.

My brothers, both of them, just got $20 each in an envelope... cause I was too lazy to buy them anything... that, and I bought them World of Warcraft for christmas last year and paid for it until October this year... and yeah. That's a lot of money.

I bought my dad a copy of Caddyshack on dvd, and he's getting a gift certificate for books (Chapters/Indigo) too.

I bought my girlfriend an mp3 player, a Creative Zen Micro... and I did it for a couple reasons. First, that I rarely buy her random little things cause I don't see her as often as I'd like or should; second, because she wanted it from her parents but they didn't get it for her; third, it means I didn't have to buy her a ring (which, while not a big deal cause it'd just be a birthstone ring, is still a little too much for me to handle at the moment in the sense that I don't want to have to deal with wedding-related confusions). It's also going to be her birthday present, though, cause, I pretty much doubled the annual 'presents' budget that we established, so she gets nothing in March now.

That's it... I mean... that shopping trip pretty much bankrupted me. :slant:

My mom--a tapestry map of Middle Earth, no really! She wanted one and I tried to get it last year but they were sold out. It didn't arrive in time for Christmas so she still doesn't know.

My dad--a blue sweatshirt

My sister--a nose stud

My friend Trevor--Russian Orthodox icons

my friend Jacob--a Van Helsing dissection set (don't ask), a "Don't Panic!" t-shirt and a DVD.

My dog Elliott--a sweater, and a stuffed carrot. The sweater was free trade and fed homeless animals *and* a village in the Andes. :)

I didn't get the rest of my relatives or friends anything, but they didn't get me anything either.

Instead, I donated toys to needy children and money to homeless animals.

Mum: a shiny looking set of forks, knives and spoons for the kitchen

Brother-in-law: I bought one of those coloured glass water bottles and filled it with smarties candy

Sister: Chanel No.5 perfume

dont wanna give away to what I got the BAWS, but tonight I gave My Girlfriend a Tiffany's Charm bracelet and a ton of Disney dvds that she wanted. She spoiled me also.

oooh lots of nice present giving!

I gave my mum mobile phone, necklace, perfume, country jams :wink: and a donation in her name for $50 to a charity of her choosing

I gave my boyfriend some chucks, 7 herb plants (the good herbs) for his blooming herb garden, clothes, a 2006 Bushisms calander (it has all the stupid things Bush said...its terrific!) and a Bill Bailey DVD.

And well, little things for friends and blah blha shit for counsins/auntie etc!

weeeeeeeeeee :D

I got:

For my Dad - Fawlty Towers on DVD
Mum - Big jar of Cajun-style bbq sauce and other foody things
Sister - Casserole dish and dip dish thing, for her new house
Nana and Pop - Photo frame and some Yorkshire tea
My mate Heather who I was secret Santa for - Boy on CD and a calendar of tigers

:)

Sister:

~Computer game that won't work on her system. :sad: But I found one that will and mailed it to her. :yes:
~Edward Scissorhands DVD
~Drop Dead Fred DVD
~Napoleon Dynamite DVD
~Napoleon Dynamite quote book
~Napoleon Dynamite lip balm
~3 crossword puzzle books

Dad:

~Dickies coveralls
~Ripley's Believe It Or Not book
~A book of funny 911 calls

Mom:

~Gift set of hair and body wash from Sephora
~Couple things from Bath & Body Works (I can't remember exactly what they are now! :lol: :reject: )

Boyfriend:

~Dukes Of Hazzard season 1 on DVD
~A special AC/DC magazine
~U of M note paper
~George Carlin book
~Garth Brooks CD set

Boyfriend's 3 year old niece:

~Fisher Price petting farm
~Dora The Explorer bath doll
~Dora The Explorer puzzle
~The Grinch Who Stole Christmas book
~Fisher Price zoo

Boyfriend's 6 year old niece:

~A holiday Barbie
~Set of Barbie clothes
~Angelina Ballerina doll
~Angelina's Christmas book
~Lip Smackers makeup set

Boyfriend's mom:

~Hand lotion from Bath & Body Works
~A framed picture of my boyfriend and I (she hasn't had a pic of him since his senior year of high school...and he is 30! :ohmy: )

Boyfriend's sister:

~Body splash from Bath & Body Works

Boyfriend's grandma:

~A book of wordfinds

My best friend:

~A necklace

My little sister from Big Brothers, Big Sisters:

~3 pairs of earrings

I think that's it. I totally blew my budget this year, but I had so much fun shopping and wrapping. :)

Last edited:
I got my Mom Red Sox tickets for 4 games, two rings, and a manicure set w/ nail dryer..and some other little things

I got my brother a keychain digital camera and a clock for my father. I don't exchange gifts with anyone else. I gave some toys to Toys For Tots.

I am going to give my son a punch in the FACE if he doesn't get his booty here soon to celebrate Christmas with me! I will take away a gift every half hour he's late!! :ohmy:

got our kids lots ipods i dog cell phone dvds cds clothes boots games etc. got my wife the christmas royal doulton lady clothes dvds knickers & sexy gear :drool:

God, I'm glad i'm not the only giving that gift..

Tomorrow I call the doc and get a MIRACLE DRUG...

Hope everyone else gets better..

I gave Mr. Cat:

New bed spread
handmade batman and spiderman pillows to go with it.
A whole collection of spider man toys.
I'm also painting a huge mural in our room of superheros for him.
Serenity dvd
Firefly series dvds
Star Wars original movies on dvd
Star Wars popcorn tin

His birthday is tomorrow so he is also getting a bunch of vintage Batman vehicles a few different models of the Batmobile and other ones I can't remember. :lol:

We live far from our parents and they complain they never see us so we sent them framed family photos and some extra photos of our kids. :heart:

BIL & Family got Star Wars Ewok adventures dvd along with a ton of popcorn, candy, and hot cocoa to have a movie night.

my girlfriend:
hand knitted Harry Potter scarf
guitar earrings
guitar pick earrings
U2 cds

Bonochick said:
Sister:

~Computer game that won't work on her system. :sad: But I found one that will and mailed it to her. :yes:
~Edward Scissorhands DVD
~Drop Dead Fred DVD
~Napoleon Dynamite DVD
~Napoleon Dynamite quote book
~Napoleon Dynamite lip balm
~3 crossword puzzle books

Dad:

~Dickies coveralls
~Ripley's Believe It Or Not book
~A book of funny 911 calls

Mom:

~Gift set of hair and body wash from Sephora
~Couple things from Bath & Body Works (I can't remember exactly what they are now! :lol: :reject: )

Boyfriend:

~Dukes Of Hazzard season 1 on DVD
~A special AC/DC magazine
~U of M note paper
~George Carlin book
~Garth Brooks CD set

Boyfriend's 3 year old niece:

~Fisher Price petting farm
~Dora The Explorer bath doll
~Dora The Explorer puzzle
~The Grinch Who Stole Christmas book
~Fisher Price zoo

Boyfriend's 6 year old niece:

~A holiday Barbie
~Set of Barbie clothes
~Angelina Ballerina doll
~Angelina's Christmas book
~Lip Smackers makeup set

Boyfriend's mom:

~Hand lotion from Bath & Body Works
~A framed picture of my boyfriend and I (she hasn't had a pic of him since his senior year of high school...and he is 30! :ohmy: )

Boyfriend's sister:

~Body splash from Bath & Body Works

Boyfriend's grandma:

~A book of wordfinds

My best friend:

~A necklace

My little sister from Big Brothers, Big Sisters:

~3 pairs of earrings

I think that's it. I totally blew my budget this year, but I had so much fun shopping and wrapping. :)

Ahahah can't imagine what was your budjet ! You beat me completly :p I hope they were happy at least ! You're like a Santa ;D

Dad:

A DVD of a Doors concert from 1968

Mom:

Cher concert DVD
A whales/dolphins 2006 calendar (moreso for the dolphins, as she loves dolphins)
Moody Blues concert DVD (sort of a present from both me and my sister)

Sister:

Keith Urban CD and a concert DVD (which she's been watching and loves)

Angela

Back
Top Bottom