Christmas tree vs. holiday tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2doggie

War Child
in the land of the GEORGIA BULLDOGS...WOOF WOOF WO
Mine is most definitely a Christmas tree.

what in the heck is a "holiday tree" anyway? Should we now call the menorah a "holiday candleholder"???!!!??? enough is enough. why should we change the names of our holiday symbols just because a few people don't believe in the same things we do?
because THEY find it offensive???????
i'm sorry but "a rose is a rose is a rose" and also---
"a Christmas tree is a Christmas tree is a Christmas tree"

I refuse to edit my christianity because it may "offend" someone--and while i'm not at all in anyone's face about it, i believe i have freedom of expression too.........

I'm with you....it used to get me when I was doing the room mom thing at my son's school when he was younger and we were constantly told we could not call the December festivities CHRISTMAS....it had to be a holiday party with no symbols of "Christmas" as in reindeer, the christmas tree, Santa etc. That really sucked.

political correctness is idiotic.

my town voted not to put up american flags on telephone polls for a sept. 11th remembrance day because they already put up flags on the 4th of july and memorial day. more than 2 days a year is too much, we're going to offend the non-americans in the community. the people who make these name changes aren't even the offended parties, they're crazy people who think that there are actually offended parties who don't have a voice, and they're doing them a favor by speaking up for the downtrodden masses. i'm willing to bet that the cambodian population is well aware that they're in the US and they aren't going to be offended by a couple extra flags. and if they are offended...go to canada.

of course, this is also the same place that caused a big argument when the high school wanted to put on west side story for the school musical. "nooo!!! we can't do that, it portrays all hispanics as being gang members!!!" :rolleyes:

Bullshit. Its a Christmas tree.

I refuse to buy cards that say "Happy Holidays" on them. I am sending out Christmas cards. I want them to say "Merry Christmas" on them or whatever.

However, I DO send out "Holiday" cards from my office. They encompass ALL holidays, including New Years. Therefore, they are holiday cards.

Its Chriiiiiistmas!

Ask these guys

slad.jpg

Carek1230 said:
I'm with you....it used to get me when I was doing the room mom thing at my son's school when he was younger and we were constantly told we could not call the December festivities CHRISTMAS....it had to be a holiday party with no symbols of "Christmas" as in reindeer, the christmas tree, Santa etc. That really sucked.

ok but imagine having a holiday around the same time as Christmas and the only decorations up were reindeers, trees, santa's etc. That really sucks too.

I think it is really stupid to call it a holiday tree, by the way. Giving it a different name isn't going to change the meaning behind it.

[. why should we change the names of our holiday symbols just because a few people don't believe in the same things we do?
because THEY find it offensive???????
"

I refuse to edit my christianity because it may "offend" someone--and while i'm not at all in anyone's face about it, i believe i have freedom of expression too......... [/B][/QUOTE]

YOU don't have to change the names of YOUR holiday symbols. And YOU shouldn't. What you do privately and personally, is YOUR business. The STATE -- a term I'm using in its most general sense -- however, shouldn't be honoring ANY religious symbols, and certainly shouldn't show a preference for one religion's symbols over those of another. (Remember: "separation of church and state?) This was not founded as a religious country. Or a Christian country. That was deliberate -- not an oversight.

I was struck by your language: "we".. . "our"..."They" "a FEW people who don't believe the same things WE do." You seem very comfortable in your beliefs and in your symbols. And I think you SHOULD be. I also think that everyone -- regardless of their particular religious beliefs and cultural traditions -- should share your comfort level.

Oh, erm, Happy Holidays!

Re: Re: Christmas tree vs. holiday tree

DILETTANTE said:

YOU don't have to change the names of YOUR holiday symbols. And YOU shouldn't. What you do privately and personally, is YOUR business. The STATE -- a term I'm using in its most general sense -- however, shouldn't be honoring ANY religious symbols, and certainly shouldn't show a preference for one religion's symbols over those of another. (Remember: "separation of church and state?) This was not founded as a religious country. Or a Christian country. That was deliberate -- not an oversight.

:up:

mine's a christmas tree

the one in the public green down the street should be a holiday tree

Speaking of "idiotic," these threads are beating a dead horse. Spare us the histrionics, please. Out of all the glaring problems in this world, you all are worried about the name of your bloody evergreen trees. Who the hell cares?!

"A rose is a rose is a rose," but you forget "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." If people would put this much effort into solving the world's problems as they do whining about semantics, we'd have a much more peaceful world. And, God forbid, we'd actually get something done.

Chew on that for a little while.

Melon

Its a Christmas Tree! The whole history of decorating a tree and its origins are for Christmas.

I agree that political correctness has reached ridiculous levels.
Seriously, how many Christians here or that you know get offended when they see a menorah? Certainly not me and I dont think most people. Whats the difference in a Christmas Tree? I have said this in other threads about different type topics but I think it still holds true. You have people looking to be offended. That is how it gets ridiculous.

That is it for me!! :laugh: I stay out of the political stuff for the most part. So this will be the extent of it to me. :wave:

CHRISTMAS!

this topic makes my blood boil for some reason...

I need to go lie down:huh:

:wink:

Blue Room said:

I understand these sentiments, but I find it equally annoying when people whine about "political correctness"...over and over and over and over. There's no law requiring you to call the tree in your home a "holiday tree," and, as for what government does, who cares? I think most people wouldn't even know or care what their local government did if the press didn't look for hot-button issues to report on. I think most people rarely even see their city/township halls.

Melon

melon said:
Speaking of "idiotic," these threads are beating a dead horse. Spare us the histrionics, please. Out of all the glaring problems in this world, you all are worried about the name of your bloody evergreen trees. Who the hell cares?!

"A rose is a rose is a rose," but you forget "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." If people would put this much effort into solving the world's problems as they do whining about semantics, we'd have a much more peaceful world. And, God forbid, we'd actually get something done.

Chew on that for a little while.

Melon

These threads are just a bunch of people chitter chattering - if you don't like the topic -why wander in the door????

:shrug:

MsGiggles said:
These threads are just a bunch of people chitter chattering - if you don't like the topic -why wander in the door????

:shrug:

I'm "chitter chattering" too. :blahblah:

Melon

I haven't been able to find any cards that said "Happy Holidays" rather than "Happy Christmas" for the past three years. :shrug:

it's a freaking christmas tree. it's completely secular now.
last time I looked, santa claus hadn't actually been "Saint Nicholas" in quite some time...

but that said... Blue Room, I'm sorry but you're misinformed. The concept of bringing evergreen cuttings indoors, decorating your home and doorways with them and so forth goes back much, much further than Christianity.
Cutting down an entire TREE, however, bringing it inside and hanging decorations from them... that's fairly new.

What they have become now is inarguably entwined with the secular celebration of Christmas, the one that involves Santa and reindeer and so forth... and this is the one we celebrate with our almost-7-year-old as far as seeing family, gift-giving, etc. But our family celebrates the Solstice as well, and the evergreen boughs and candles, strings of popcorn and cranberries, mulled cider and gingerbread are all part of the remembrances of my Celt ancestors' traditions long, long before there was ever any such thing as Christianity.

read up here:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/xmas_tree.htm

cheers

Carek1230 said:
O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum translates to OH CHRISTMAS TREE OH CHRISTMAS TREE! :yes:
Nope.

"Christmas tree" is Weihnachtsbaum. Tannenbaum just means "evergreen tree" and the song actually hearkens back to pagan solstice celebrations involving evergreen boughs, not unlike what wolfeden was describing.

Blue Room said:
Its a Christmas Tree! The whole history of decorating a tree and its origins are for Christmas.

Seriously, how many Christians here or that you know get offended when they see a menorah? Certainly not me and I dont think most people. Whats the difference in a Christmas Tree? I have said this in other threads about different type topics but I think it still holds true. You have people looking to be offended. That is how it gets ridiculous.

That is it for me!! :laugh: I stay out of the political stuff for the most part. So this will be the extent of it to me. :wave:

actually...:wink:
christmas trees are probably the most unchristian thing about christmas, it is Germanic monotheistic tradition, i am pretty sure.
long before Christ was born. the germans thought that their MANY gods lived in these trees. so they would decorate and worship them or something like that. i don't really know that much. but you are right that it has become a CHRISTMAS tradition in this country and it should stay that way

mine is a Christmas tree, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom