Christmas* music: your personal most and least favourite songs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pinball Wizard said:

I'm going to be daring and suggest that the original Darlene Love cut of that song is superior.

:shh:

Unfortunately, it's tough to find a decent recording of it.

I love her version, too, but I love U2's more. Fairytale of New York and Christmastime is Here also get multiple spins every year. :heart:

Also, I'm feeling extremely fortunate for not having heard this Christmas Shoes song. It sounds horrific.

Pinball Wizard said:

I'm going to be daring and suggest that the original Darlene Love cut of that song is superior.

It's quite possible. I think Phil Spector produced that version with Darlene Love.

I forgot to include Happy Xmas by John and Yoko as one of my Christmas favorites.

Pinball Wizard said:

Death Cab for Cutie also have a cover of it that's enjoyable.

I guess I like the less poppy Christmas music.

The Nutcracker Suite.

Silent Night.

Oh Holy Night.

Oh Come All Ye Faithful.

I know this isn't technically a Christmas song, but it's the Home Alone/Home Alone 2 theme and since I've always watched those movies during the holidays since I was little, and since they both take place during Christmas, I've come to associate that piece, 'Somewhere In My Memory', with Christmas.

And for poppier stuff...

Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree.

Christmas(Baby Please Come Home).

MrPryck2U said:
That Dan Fogelberg song is titled Old Lang Syne. It's not a Christmas song per se, but that play it every damn year. Quite frankly, the damn song really depresses me.

It should depress you even more this year -- Dan Fogelberg just died of cancer today.

LOS ANGELES (Dec. 16) - Singer-songwriter Dan Fogelberg, famed for the soaring vocals and elegant instrumentation of tunes such as "Longer" and "A Love Like This," died on Sunday, three years after being diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer. He was 56.

"He fought a brave battle with cancer and died peacefully at home in Maine with his wife Jean at his side," said a posting on his Web site (http://www.danfogelberg.com).

"His strength, dignity and grace in the face of the daunting challenges of this disease were an inspiration to all who knew him."

Fogelberg, a native of Peoria, Illinois, broke into the music industry in the early 1970s, at a time when it was embracing introspective songwriting, or "soft rock," by such acts as the Eagles and America.

Fogelberg, who distinguished himself with his angelic vocals and lyrics that celebrated beauty and romance, hit his commercial and creative peak in 1981 with "The Innocent Age," which yielded three top-10 singles, "Hard to Say," "Same Old Lang Syne" and "Leader of the Band."

His most recent release, "Full Circle," came out in 2003. The following year, he revealed that he had been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer, and urged men over the age of 50 to get tested for the disease.

corianderstem said:
Is it? The album is still in print. "A Christmas Gift For You." And yes, produced by Phil Spector.

Yes, I knew that... I meant that it is difficult to find a decent digital version of it (> 128 kbps) that is... umm... free. The original song is not even on iTunes, at least in Canada.

Travis covered Last Christmas live, and it's an absolute corker, a fantastic cover.

Special mentions to Alfie the Elf and Do Ya Hear What I Hear?

If there are any fans of the movie About A Boy, "Santa's Super Sleigh" is an easter egg on the DVD. It really is the worst Christmas song ever.

I'm very conflicted about Seymour Swine's "Blue Christmas." Sometimes I think it's hilarious; other times it get on my nerves.

One of my childhood favorites that I still have on my iPod Xmas playlist is "Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron" by The Royal Guardsmen.

Moonlit_Angel said:
I thought of this thread immediately when I saw the headline about Dan Fogelberg. Sad news-may he rest in peace :(.

So did I. That's so wacky. Anyway, RIP to Dan and this year the song will depress me even more.

angelordevil said:

I don't really, either, but once I get overwhelmed by the season I start singing them and can't stop. :drool:

When I was a kid, I absolutely loved this album:

610OMaFGecL._SS500_.jpg

:love:

I just got this off of iTunes and I love it :lol:.

My favorites are O Holy Night, Christmas in Sarajevo and This is Christmas (War is Over).

I also totally hate "The Christmas Shoes".

Christmas on the radio ? Last Christmas - Wham , I never get tired of it even if it gets played each year. For a "different" Christmas, Fairytale of New York.

Traditional ? Silent night, also Jingle Bells.

Oldies ? White Christmas.

I love Guster's "Donde Esta, Santa Claus?" and a few of the ones mentioned already (Lennon, U2, Springsteen, Kinks, F'Lips)

2000 Miles by The Pretenders and surprisingly by Coldplay are both extremely good.

Back
Top Bottom