Christian Music Is Sounding The Same

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LikeNoOneBefore

Refugee
I have been a strong Christian all my life, and I have also listened to Christian music ever since I can remember. At one point in my life, that was ALL I was allowed to listen to. But now, when I turn on a Christian radio station, it all sounds the same. I can't tell Chris Tomlin apart from Matthew West, sometimes, and it bothers me how repetitive the music is sounding. It's boring! I swear that every Christian artist is using the same chords over and over. In fact, my own youth pastor doesn't like much Christian music. (We sang "All Because Of You" during worship, once, and he plays U2 music before service starts over the speakers a lot. :wink: My pastor is my idol.)

So can any Christian relate to me here? Sorry if this topic doesn't fit the category, but I'd like some opinions so I don't feel like a heathen. Hahaha...

There is nothing wrong with heathens. :wink:

But seriously, if the Christian music scene is boring you I suggest you look not to the genre but rather to bands that have Christian faith. Take U2 as the obvious example, U2 isn't Christian rock but they make music that Christians can gage. The problem with Christian rock is that glorifies God, whereas bands that do not fall under the Christian label bring up questions that are healthy for those of faith to think about. I'm sure your pastor and posters that follow could probably tell some of those artists.

Believe me, you're not the first Christian to not like Christian rock. How many Christians are there compared to the number who listen to Christian rock stations? You're not alone.

Yeah that's what I've been doing, but I know that my friends from church give me weird looks whenever I tell them that I don't like Christian music. Although, I have absolutely no problem with the music we sing in church.

The Christian music industry is THE worse music industry out there. The music industry as a whole sucks, but they are horrible. They seek what sells in the secular world, find bands that sound just like it and then water it down. You can only rewrite "Jesus Loves Me" so many times. They sell the same things secular music does just in a more "conservative" package.

It's pretty much formulated like boy bands...

I was once approached by a Christian label years ago because I knew someone. They heard one song which they considered a Christian rock hit, but they basically said all my other songs would have to be rewritten. There was one song in paticular that was forbidden because it was a song about a girl who had a drug addiction. Long story short, I said no...

I remember a story about one paticular Christian band(can't remember the name now) that got in a lot of trouble because they covered Nirvana's 'All Apologies'...because of the line "everyone is gay".

It's a really tough music industry to stay in, too. The only Christian artist that I have 100% respect for is Sarah Kelly. She's not very well known, but I met her a few times, and she was nominated for a Grammy. She has decided to move to more secular music because Christian labels had a problem with her music, I think. (I'm probably completely butchering this story. My apologies.) Anyways, the point is that she was being looked down upon because her music isn't really in-your-face Christian music, but more with religious undertones like some of U2's stuff.

So now I'm sure plenty of people are considering her a "sell-out" or something because of that. It happens all the time in Christian music.

I'm all for music with religious undertones and stuff, but outwardly "I love Jesus and I'm a down-home conservative country boy"-type music irks me.

I'm a big fan of that thing called "subtlety". :up:

There's a book that I read with a group from my church called Imagine: A Vision For Christians In The Arts. For those of you who are really into that, you should definitely check it out. My pastor and youth leaders were agreeing with the author in that Christian art is a very shallow form of art sometimes because you can only write or paint or sing about certain things or else it's not "Christian" anymore. It's very true. I wish I could describe the book better, but it's better to read it, anyways. I highly recommend it.

Don't fall to peer pressure. Differences make us special and in a sense you have a leg up on them. I would say that whenever they give you those looks just tell them that you like Christian music just not the kind they are used to. There is no better defense than appearing to be different. After a little while they will take your challenge and want to know these artists. Thus you will have turned the tables.
Those who stick to labels are most likely to be influenced by peer pressure. Bring your friends into your court.

LikeNoOneBefore said:
I have been a strong Christian all my life, and I have also listened to Christian music ever since I can remember. At one point in my life, that was ALL I was allowed to listen to. But now, when I turn on a Christian radio station, it all sounds the same. I can't tell Chris Tomlin apart from Matthew West, sometimes, and it bothers me how repetitive the music is sounding. It's boring! I swear that every Christian artist is using the same chords over and over. In fact, my own youth pastor doesn't like much Christian music. (We sang "All Because Of You" during worship, once, and he plays U2 music before service starts over the speakers a lot. :wink: My pastor is my idol.)

So can any Christian relate to me here? Sorry if this topic doesn't fit the category, but I'd like some opinions so I don't feel like a heathen. Hahaha...

I followed a similar path to you in terms of my musical journey. I grew up in a Christian home but during my teens I didn't really listen to much Christian contemporary music. I thought it was cheesy. . .and it was. (Course so was a lot of the "secular" music I was listening to as well, but no one could have told me that). In college my relationship with God really started coming alive and at that same time, a friend of mine introduced me to a whole new breed of Christian music that didn't suck. For a good number of years I listened to Christian music, almost exclusively. Now, in the last few years, I find I'm listening to Christian music less and secular music more, basically for the same reasons you've described.

I think the problem is broader than just the music itself, it's the whole idea of "marketing Christianity" that I find disturbing. It's not just the sounds that are derivative, it's the whole approach. The Christian music industry in many ways seems to be no different than the mainstream music industry. Capitalize on the latest trend and sell as much as you can. Quality and depth is sacrificed for the sake making the Almighty Dollar. What I've found particularly problematic is the "praise and worship" trend. The musical quality is getting worse and worse, the lyrics less and less meaningful as the industry seeks to hustle as much praise and worship product on the market as they can. The selling of worship to me is reminicscent of the moneychangers in the temple.

Another thing that bothers me is that now that it is finally acceptable for Christian artists to "crossover" to the mainstream (back in the day Amy Grant was pilloried for such ambitions), it seems everyone was trying to sound like the latest modern rock band. There just doesn't seem to be much real quality happening in Christian music today. But then again, if you want the truth, I think the mainstream music industry is no better. 90% of what is out there in the mainstream is also cheap, derivative, unoriginal, commercialized crap. What's truly pathetic is that so much of Christian music is aping that rather than trying to aim for a higher artistic standard.

Anway, now that I'm done with my rant, there are some artists in the "Christian market" that I think put out original, high quality music and demonstrate some depth and a willingness to recognize all that goes into life beyond the happy/feel good stuff.
These are artists I'd share with anyone, and not be embarrassed because the music is just good.

Rich Mullins (he died in 1997 and it's getting hard to find his material, but he is my favorite artist, period. The lyrics, the music, everything is bar none. His magnum opus is the 1994 album "A Liturgy, A Legacy, and A Ragamuffin Band")

Mark Heard (he died, in, 1992, I think. Very edgy, very unusual sound and lyrics. Not like anyone else you've ever heard. He's not super-accessible, so I recommend the "Strong Hand of Love: Tribute to Mark Heard" album as a starter).

Burlap to Cashmere (Only had one album out, as far as I know. But they were good. Ignore their most popular and least original song, "Basic Instructions" and enjoy the rest of the album).

Caedmon's Call (They're actually still around. If you like rootsy, acousticy music, this group is for you. My favorite album is "Share the Well" which has some gorgeous East Indian and South American influences).

In general most of the lastest praise and worship stuff doesn't do much for me, but I do like the City on a Hill series. The City on a Hill Christmas album is probably one of my favorite Xmas albums of all time.

I remember when I became a Christian, I wasn't too knowledgeable about the variety of the faith (I was 15 at the time and hadn't been exposed to much Christianity in my life beforehand), and my Christian friends were your stereotypical evangelicals who think youth group is the coolest place to hang out ever, WWJD armbands are awesome, the Left Behind books are good literature ... you get the idea. And, of course, they loved CCM and told me I shouldn't listen to secular music. So I gave their CCM bands a try. If only I hadn't been so naive ...

After a few months, I just couldn't take it any longer. I despise CCM. I couldn't stand the tacky, cheesy, repetitive lyrics (especially the Newsboys' attitude of quirky = cool, which just isn't true), and the music itself just felt so dull, lifeless, and unadventurous. It was about this time that I really got into U2 beyond being a casual fan. Songs like Wake Up Dead Man and Acrobat actually rung true, it felt like there was thought and emotion behind them and a real attempt made at lyrical depth and tackling the challenging issues.

Probably the closest I come to listening to Christian music nowadays are the solo albums of Neal Morse, former frontman of progressive rock band Spock's Beard. His solo albums have very obvious Christian themes and are musically exceptional (come on, he's a prog musician, what do you expect?). Oh, and I also enjoy the music of Trouble, an openly Christian band who played, of all things, proto-doom metal. What I'd give to hear some doom metal in a church!

Personally I just listen to music I know I'm comfortable listening to, Christian or not.

I have no problem with CCM either - there's some decent stuff out there, although nothing earth-shatteringly good in a musical sense, but if it allows people to have an outlet to express their love and praise for Jesus then that's great.

Two words for you: Mute Math.

www.myspace.com/mutemath.

They're Christians who come from the Christian music industry, but they're getting out of it for a variety of reasons. They're incredible. They're going the U2 route as far as mixing their faith with incredible music.

Check them out. If you like U2, you won't be disappointed.

LikeNoOneBefore said:

Good thread - LikeNoOneBefore! I've felt the same way for years. A lot of contemporary Christian music has gotten so homogenized and repetitive that it IS boring (and I am all for any type of music in church). Weird thing about it, for some reason churches that have contemporary music, a lot of times sing the same repetitive songs over & over again. Don't think they get the idea of "overplay".

Your pastor sounds like a very good one though. Sounds like he really understands! :wink:

(<---will try out some of the artists mentioned here!! :) )

Last edited:
One great christian band is Delerious.

They sound a lot like U2 and mimic U2 on a variety of levels, ie, drastically changing their music style. The music and lyrics are very creative and honest.

I also like a christian band called Tree 63.

But that's about it. I grew up on cheesy christian bands like Petra, Carmen, and others. I'm happy about it because it makes me appreciate U2 that much more.

The main problem with christian music is that it's not being honest. It can be very fake. Music came from our ancestors who would play music in times of ancient celebration (ie, a wedding). Or, our ancestors would play music in times of sorrow. Or, they would play in praise of God. Today's christian music only plays music in praise of God and forgets the other historical artistic expressions.

LikeNoOneBefore said:
Although, I have absolutely no problem with the music we sing in church.

Because most of the songs that were written long ago (such as hymns) were written with at least an ounce of Divine inspiration, rather than just...for commerciality, like today.

Glo by Delirious is a great record. I mean, really great. :drool:

sufjan stevens, pedro the lion, and neutral milk hotel are all worth checking out. they're kinda out there if all you're used to is ccm, but they are great. Check out the song: Variation On "Commemorative Transfiguration & Communion At Magruder Park" by Sufjan Stevens. it's amazing.

i got really sick of christian music after transferring to a christian college in nebraska after two years at a state school, praise and worship was all i heard. i got chewed out for listening to wowy because "no christian should be that lost, and if they are, they certainly shouldn't glorify that feeling." :huh: so instead i'd just turn up nofx or atmosphere and tell them to f off.

and my favorite line about christian music is from hank hill: "you're not making christianity better, you're making rock and roll worse."

If anyone is interested in knowing more about CCM (contemporary Christian music), read Charlie Peacock's At The Crossroads. He perfectly and articulately describes all of the reasons I've never bought into the Christian music scene, and why I don't feel guilty about it either (I'm a Christian).

I'm one of the most christiany people you'll ever meet and I'll tell you without hesitation that modern christian music is horrible.

I'm one of the most christiany people you'll ever meet and I'll tell you without hesitation that modern christian music is horrible.

Reading Axver's post, I'm reminded of course, that what you'll like in terms of any kind of music has to do with personal taste too.

For me I like lyrical depth, lyrics that express the full range of human experience (something that others have accurately pointed out is lacking in much of Christian music), and musically I like melody. I admitt, though it doesn't make me very "cool" butI like music that is melodically accessible.

So the artists I mentioned will reflect that.

INDY500 said:
And can we come up with a lyric that describes God as something other than AWESOME.

Let me just say something about the ubiquitous praise and worship anthem "Awesome God." It is almost never sung as it was written and meant to be song.

Rich Mullins wrote it in 1988 and it actually has verses (which no one ever sings). Even with the verses, it is not one of my favorite songs of his, but it is far better than the horribly abbreviated and reptitive version sung in most churches. Imagine singing U2 singing Pride with only "in the name of love, what more in the name of love" over and over again, and you understand how "Awesome God" has been gutted.

Even the meaning of the phrase "awesome" has gotten lost, a fact Rich Mullins bemoaned when he was alive, in that most people think we're talking about how "cool" God is, when in fact, it is meant to summon up images of the might and power of God (something that becomes evident if you sing the verses).

LikeNoOneBefore said:

you sound like me, when i was about 14/15.:wink: i was pretty much like Axvers 'stereotypical' friends he described. all i listened to was from a "Christian label", then my Uncle told me i should listen to some interesting music & gave me some cd's of various bands..some of which were U2. i suddenly realized that this was far better than what i had been listening to, the lyrics were so much more meaningful and the music was far more interesting to me. i started listening to stuff i actually liked based on it's musical/lyrical value as opposed to what label it was produced under. i remember the first time i heard "Wake Up Dead Man", i was shocked, thinking it was awful etc. then gradually, i came around to it, now it is one of my favourite U2 songs lyrically. i still know people who would consider it blasphemous and tell me that i couldn't be a Christian if i listened to things like that. seriously. most likely more than half of their problem with it would be that is has the the word "fucked" in it.

i get very annoyed with people who say you cannot listen to any music outside of the Christian labels. same way if someone says you that if you say some 4 letter word you aren't a Christian. it's a very narrow-minded viewpoint imo.

you have no reason to feel like a heathen just because you dislike the shallow drivel that the Christian music industry repeatedly puts out. i haven't hardly given any of the Christian label music a look for 4 years now, and i still consider myself a Christian.

it is possible to be a Christian and listen to "Sympathy for the Devil". ;)

maycocksean said:

Let me just say something about the ubiquitous praise and worship anthem "Awesome God." It is almost never sung as it was written and meant to be song.

Rich Mullins wrote it in 1988 and it actually has verses (which no one ever sings). Even with the verses, it is not one of my favorite songs of his, but it is far better than the horribly abbreviated and reptitive version sung in most churches. Imagine singing U2 singing Pride with only "in the name of love, what more in the name of love" over and over again, and you understand how "Awesome God" has been gutted.

Even the meaning of the phrase "awesome" has gotten lost, a fact Rich Mullins bemoaned when he was alive, in that most people think we're talking about how "cool" God is, when in fact, it is meant to summon up images of the might and power of God (something that becomes evident if you sing the verses).

I concur. I am not a fan of "Christian" music, nor Rich Mullins for that matter, but from what I've learned of him, he was one of the few more genuine Christian musicians. He "practiced what he preached", if you will.

We always sang this song in school as kids, with the verses.

LemonMelon said:

Because most of the songs that were written long ago (such as hymns) were written with at least an ounce of Divine inspiration, rather than just...for commerciality, like today.

That's very true! :yes:

I'm glad that there are people who are agreeing with me! Yes, my pastor is very understanding about a bunch of topics, especially this one. I'm realizing more and more each day that I am sooo lucky to have him.

I am not a huge fan of CCM.

If you look deep enough, you will find quite a bit of diversity in music styles. It is not all boy-band pop.

One of the values of CCM is that it is a good way to memorize Scripture. My wife listened to quite a bit of Keith Greene, and has a fascinating ability to recall passages of Scripture – a skill she attributes to listening to the Scriptures as part of song.

I think the whole idea of Christian 'music' (I have my suspicions about that shite!) is to program and force feed people the sunshine and light crap that is usually fostered in a church - darkness is not a part of God, as far as scripture is supposedly concerned.

And yet, the few times I've read the bible, God has a depth of darkness (but not evil), a sense of the ironic, and a definite bent towards using pain, sorrow, and anger to deepen a person into an individual, not merely a follower. Many religions get this confused, I think.

Christian music tends to ignore this because churches tend to ignore this. They want to portray churches as a place to seek safety from the dark and evil world, forgetting that Jesus spent most of his life out there, and was a man of great depth and darkness as well as light and sweetness.

Back
Top Bottom