Christian Music Is Sounding The Same - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2006, 11:02 AM   #16
The Male

Local Time: 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LikeNoOneBefore
Although, I have absolutely no problem with the music we sing in church.
Because most of the songs that were written long ago (such as hymns) were written with at least an ounce of Divine inspiration, rather than just...for commerciality, like today.

Glo by Delirious is a great record. I mean, really great.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 08:55 PM
sufjan stevens, pedro the lion, and neutral milk hotel are all worth checking out. they're kinda out there if all you're used to is ccm, but they are great. Check out the song: Variation On "Commemorative Transfiguration & Communion At Magruder Park" by Sufjan Stevens. it's amazing.

i got really sick of christian music after transferring to a christian college in nebraska after two years at a state school, praise and worship was all i heard. i got chewed out for listening to wowy because "no christian should be that lost, and if they are, they certainly shouldn't glorify that feeling." so instead i'd just turn up nofx or atmosphere and tell them to f off.

and my favorite line about christian music is from hank hill: "you're not making christianity better, you're making rock and roll worse."

Old 07-24-2006, 12:00 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:55 PM
If anyone is interested in knowing more about CCM (contemporary Christian music), read Charlie Peacock's At The Crossroads. He perfectly and articulately describes all of the reasons I've never bought into the Christian music scene, and why I don't feel guilty about it either (I'm a Christian).
Old 07-24-2006, 12:39 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

And can we come up with a lyric that describes God as something other than AWESOME.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:38 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:55 AM
I'm one of the most christiany people you'll ever meet and I'll tell you without hesitation that modern christian music is horrible.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:38 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm one of the most christiany people you'll ever meet and I'll tell you without hesitation that modern christian music is horrible.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:58 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Reading Axver's post, I'm reminded of course, that what you'll like in terms of any kind of music has to do with personal taste too.

For me I like lyrical depth, lyrics that express the full range of human experience (something that others have accurately pointed out is lacking in much of Christian music), and musically I like melody. I admitt, though it doesn't make me very "cool" butI like music that is melodically accessible.

So the artists I mentioned will reflect that.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500
And can we come up with a lyric that describes God as something other than AWESOME.
Let me just say something about the ubiquitous praise and worship anthem "Awesome God." It is almost never sung as it was written and meant to be song.

Rich Mullins wrote it in 1988 and it actually has verses (which no one ever sings). Even with the verses, it is not one of my favorite songs of his, but it is far better than the horribly abbreviated and reptitive version sung in most churches. Imagine singing U2 singing Pride with only "in the name of love, what more in the name of love" over and over again, and you understand how "Awesome God" has been gutted.

Even the meaning of the phrase "awesome" has gotten lost, a fact Rich Mullins bemoaned when he was alive, in that most people think we're talking about how "cool" God is, when in fact, it is meant to summon up images of the might and power of God (something that becomes evident if you sing the verses).
Old 07-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Christian Music Is Sounding The Same

Quote:
Originally posted by LikeNoOneBefore
I have been a strong Christian all my life, and I have also listened to Christian music ever since I can remember. At one point in my life, that was ALL I was allowed to listen to. But now, when I turn on a Christian radio station, it all sounds the same. I can't tell Chris Tomlin apart from Matthew West, sometimes, and it bothers me how repetitive the music is sounding. It's boring! I swear that every Christian artist is using the same chords over and over. In fact, my own youth pastor doesn't like much Christian music. (We sang "All Because Of You" during worship, once, and he plays U2 music before service starts over the speakers a lot. My pastor is my idol.)

So can any Christian relate to me here? Sorry if this topic doesn't fit the category, but I'd like some opinions so I don't feel like a heathen. Hahaha...
you sound like me, when i was about 14/15. i was pretty much like Axvers 'stereotypical' friends he described. all i listened to was from a "Christian label", then my Uncle told me i should listen to some interesting music & gave me some cd's of various bands..some of which were U2. i suddenly realized that this was far better than what i had been listening to, the lyrics were so much more meaningful and the music was far more interesting to me. i started listening to stuff i actually liked based on it's musical/lyrical value as opposed to what label it was produced under. i remember the first time i heard "Wake Up Dead Man", i was shocked, thinking it was awful etc. then gradually, i came around to it, now it is one of my favourite U2 songs lyrically. i still know people who would consider it blasphemous and tell me that i couldn't be a Christian if i listened to things like that. seriously. most likely more than half of their problem with it would be that is has the the word "fucked" in it.

i get very annoyed with people who say you cannot listen to any music outside of the Christian labels. same way if someone says you that if you say some 4 letter word you aren't a Christian. it's a very narrow-minded viewpoint imo.

you have no reason to feel like a heathen just because you dislike the shallow drivel that the Christian music industry repeatedly puts out. i haven't hardly given any of the Christian label music a look for 4 years now, and i still consider myself a Christian.

it is possible to be a Christian and listen to "Sympathy for the Devil".
Old 07-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Sufjan Stevens is another great one. (As the above poster mentioned.)

If you haven't checked it out yet, get a subscription to Relevant magazine. Go to www.relevantmagazine.com.

Then check out Mute Math again.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:15 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

Let me just say something about the ubiquitous praise and worship anthem "Awesome God." It is almost never sung as it was written and meant to be song.

Rich Mullins wrote it in 1988 and it actually has verses (which no one ever sings). Even with the verses, it is not one of my favorite songs of his, but it is far better than the horribly abbreviated and reptitive version sung in most churches. Imagine singing U2 singing Pride with only "in the name of love, what more in the name of love" over and over again, and you understand how "Awesome God" has been gutted.

Even the meaning of the phrase "awesome" has gotten lost, a fact Rich Mullins bemoaned when he was alive, in that most people think we're talking about how "cool" God is, when in fact, it is meant to summon up images of the might and power of God (something that becomes evident if you sing the verses).
I concur. I am not a fan of "Christian" music, nor Rich Mullins for that matter, but from what I've learned of him, he was one of the few more genuine Christian musicians. He "practiced what he preached", if you will.

We always sang this song in school as kids, with the verses.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:20 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

AWESOME!

Old 07-24-2006, 05:13 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Because most of the songs that were written long ago (such as hymns) were written with at least an ounce of Divine inspiration, rather than just...for commerciality, like today.
That's very true!

I'm glad that there are people who are agreeing with me! Yes, my pastor is very understanding about a bunch of topics, especially this one. I'm realizing more and more each day that I am sooo lucky to have him.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:20 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:55 PM
I am not a huge fan of CCM.

If you look deep enough, you will find quite a bit of diversity in music styles. It is not all boy-band pop.

One of the values of CCM is that it is a good way to memorize Scripture. My wife listened to quite a bit of Keith Greene, and has a fascinating ability to recall passages of Scripture – a skill she attributes to listening to the Scriptures as part of song.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:30 PM   #30
War Child

I think the whole idea of Christian 'music' (I have my suspicions about that shite!) is to program and force feed people the sunshine and light crap that is usually fostered in a church - darkness is not a part of God, as far as scripture is supposedly concerned.

And yet, the few times I've read the bible, God has a depth of darkness (but not evil), a sense of the ironic, and a definite bent towards using pain, sorrow, and anger to deepen a person into an individual, not merely a follower. Many religions get this confused, I think.

Christian music tends to ignore this because churches tend to ignore this. They want to portray churches as a place to seek safety from the dark and evil world, forgetting that Jesus spent most of his life out there, and was a man of great depth and darkness as well as light and sweetness.