Christian Music Is Sounding The Same

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a Christian employed in youth ministry, and I also am extremely disappointed with the state of Christian music today.

Christian artists are trying to imitate pop music, which is usually unoriginal already. It just sucks. Christians should look to use their creative talent that God gave them to make original music instead of pop crap with the word Jesus in it.

Third Day is one notable exception.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I concur. I am not a fan of "Christian" music, nor Rich Mullins for that matter, but from what I've learned of him, he was one of the few more genuine Christian musicians. He "practiced what he preached", if you will.

We always sang this song in school as kids, with the verses.

You're right. He's one of the most down to earth, real artists the music industry has ever seen.

Awww, but, you've got give Rich's music a chance. He's the only artist that tops U2 in my book (and obviously, that is saying a LOT!).

A Liturgy, Legacy, and A Ragamuffin Band.

That's the album. Just try it.

nbcrusader said:
I am not a huge fan of CCM.

If you look deep enough, you will find quite a bit of diversity in music styles. It is not all boy-band pop.

One of the values of CCM is that it is a good way to memorize Scripture. My wife listened to quite a bit of Keith Greene, and has a fascinating ability to recall passages of Scripture – a skill she attributes to listening to the Scriptures as part of song.

I would have mentioned Keith Green too, but I figured some listeners might be thrown by his voice and musical style. It's very 70's. But it's got heart. Nothing fake or showy or commercialized about Keith or his songs. I like him a lot.

He died too, by the way. Plane crash in 1982.

the good ones always die. **sigh**

I've been a Christian all my life and I can't stand the majority of Christian music. My dad's even a pastor. Don't feel bad about disliking it.

maycocksean said:

You're right. He's one of the most down to earth, real artists the music industry has ever seen.

Awww, but, you've got give Rich's music a chance. He's the only artist that tops U2 in my book (and obviously, that is saying a LOT!).

A Liturgy, Legacy, and A Ragamuffin Band.

That's the album. Just try it.

OK, for you, I'll compromise: I'm listening to the album, but not paying for it :D

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

OK, for you, I'll compromise: I'm listening to the album, but not paying for it :D

Fair enough. Let me know what you think.

I've never listened to Christian music so I can't comment. We don't really get it here, to us it's one of those real American things like Bible study and praying in Christian schools.

But I doubt I would ever be a fan of it, you can only write about God so much, I would say you should listen to music bu Christians, like U2. Because I think it's healthy to hear music about God which can feature doubt.

You make a good point, Irishteen. Doubt is a very real thing in having a faith in God. As a Christian, that's why I admire Bono's lyrics. Wake Up Dead Man is a good example of how it's OK to express anger as well.

Back
Top Bottom