Chipping Sodbury, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
Now there's a band I've sometimes thought about hearing. Shall do.

Need to also check out Faust after seeing some of their set at Overground earlier this year and being impressed.

Now that sounds cool.

And Shouter's gone?

Don't delay. I was pretty stunned by how good Yeti was on the first go. It's very long, ambitious and covers a lot of ground, but never gets dull in the process. In addition, please do listen to Faust IV. Jennifer is one of my favorites of the genre.

The production I'm going for is somewhere around Microphones and Guided By Voices territory, but a little cleaner in the rock portions. I'm going to experiment heavily with panning so I can get a trippy Piper At The Gates of Dawn feel on the rockers.

Yeah, Shouter skipped town a while back. I don't know where he is, but his timing blows. We were just starting to bond over Lucio Battisti!

cobl04 said:
My point is that music appreciation on the net and music appreciation "in real life" are very different. The line between has blurred for us because we spend so (too) much time here. My dad doesn't like the Beatles at all. And he will never, ever seek out five albums he hasn't heard and listen to them to broaden his music horizons. And as much as I cannot fucking stand people who only listen to commercial radio, they're happy, their music ignorance is bliss. I'm making a mix cd for a few of my mates with more open minds... but for some of my other mates even sitting through five minutes of it would bore them to tears.

But we weren't talking about the average bear, ya dig?

To say that you've heard a few singles throughout your life and then pretty much decide that you have no interest in 20 years of a, what? 60 year old entity? To me, that's a cop-out. I don't care if you don't want to try now, especially if said person is young, but as an avid fan of music, for that hunger just not to even appear to be there, even if the means or desire haven't quite yet caught up, that's just sad.

I really just don't agree. If you hear some singles by a band and they don't interest you, you don't check out the band, do you? If a lot of bands with uninteresting singles happen to be from the same era, and at the same time you hear few or no bands with sufficiently interesting singles, it seems only normal that you'd form a fairly disinterested perspective on that era. Not necessarily negative, it's just that era won't be your priority.

I don't see why anybody should feel any particular compulsion to check out any particular era. I think it's kind of elitist to say it's sad that somebody doesn't have a hunger for a certain era, just like how sad it is that baby boomers raise up the late sixties/early seventies as some golden era of music that will never again be equalled. I mean, shall I say that it's kind of sad people decide they have no interest in metal, a genre with a rich forty year tradition, on the basis of a few prominent songs by a few prominent bands?

People should follow their passions, not be expected to have the same musical hunger as other people.

I mean, take, for example, me and the Beatles. We all know I hated them. Then someone in this thread, Lemel? Got all of us to listen to Abbey Road. Hell, Ax, you even liked it.

Not quite true. I like Here Comes The Sun. I believe I gave the album 1.5 or 2 (I never rated it on RYM because I meant to write a review to justify such a low score and have never got around to it).

I've made no bones of saying that I like Here Comes The Sun and Tomorrow Never Knows, even if I think most of the rest of the Beatles' output is boring to bad.

As for my 90s list, when I said I worked through it, I meant I picked and choosed things as I saw fit. I didn't go through it in any order. As most of you may recall, I was even using a random number generator to pick which albums to listen to, sometimes resulting in the most fun I've ever had listening to new music.

Yeah, I remember that ... I actually started my own similar list of stuff I meant to look into. I just couldn't do it. Random picks that came up just weren't quite what I felt drawn to listen to at the moment.

Right now I'm in a crazy erratic mood. I've jumped from psytrance to psychedelic rock to post-hardcore to alternative metal to dream pop. Fun. Trying to decide what's next. Maybe some more pre-1960s singles, haha.

I'm really in no mood for this. At all. Trying to have a rational conversation isn't really going anywhere, so I don't see the point. For one thing, this is several genres, eras and years of music we're talking about. Not just one sound. A single genre of music, overarching though it may be, metal, for example, sucks, but at least there are tons and tons and tons of other music from those 40 years for one to discover

Wait, Ax, seriously? Have you heard anything from Satanic Majesties? "She's a Rainbow" doesn't count.

Honestly? Probably not, the other track names don't look too familiar. Here's what I know about the Stones:

1. My father's a fan and played their stuff when I was a child. What in particular? I don't know. Knowing him, he probably had the biggest albums, a compilation or two, and something random. Never cared for them. I latched on to Queen via him instead.
2. My mother enjoys the popular tracks, but doesn't own anything by them. Satisfaction and shit, she'd turn up on the radio. Meh.
3. Tumbling Dice is one of the very few songs I've heard in DI that I hated so much that I literally could not make it halfway through and just had to skip it.
4. I'm permanently scarred by the trailer for Shine A Light.

No, I've never sat down and listened to an album. I probably won't. I listened to Rocks Off recently to confirm a U2 snippet and nope, didn't like it at all.

The Rolling Stones - Sing This All Together See What Happens (Mono) - YouTube

Seriously...I'm not sure it's possible to sound less like the Stones

I'll pay that. Some parts of it sound like some prog from the same time period actually ... it's just that's the era of prog that never even interested me much when I was a prog fan, let alone now! :uhoh:

But that's one of the more likeable Stones tracks I've heard, for sure.

I'm really in no mood for this. At all. Trying to have a rational conversation isn't really going anywhere, so I don't see the point. For one thing, this is several genres, eras and years of music we're talking about. Not just one sound. A single genre of music, overarching though it may be, metal, for example, sucks, but at least there are tons and tons and tons of other music from those 40 years for one to discover

I just don't know why this is making you so mad.

May I ask your opinion on 1920s and 1930s music?

I really just don't agree. If you hear some singles by a band and they don't interest you, you don't check out the band, do you? If a lot of bands with uninteresting singles happen to be from the same era, and at the same time you hear few or no bands with sufficiently interesting singles, it seems only normal that you'd form a fairly disinterested perspective on that era. Not necessarily negative, it's just that era won't be your priority.

I don't see why anybody should feel any particular compulsion to check out any particular era. I think it's kind of elitist to say it's sad that somebody doesn't have a hunger for a certain era, just like how sad it is that baby boomers raise up the late sixties/early seventies as some golden era of music that will never again be equalled. I mean, shall I say that it's kind of sad people decide they have no interest in metal, a genre with a rich forty year tradition, on the basis of a few prominent songs by a few prominent bands?

People should follow their passions, not be expected to have the same musical hunger as other people.

Once again, I agree wholeheartedly. I'm astounded that this has become such a drawn out argument over something so simple.

The whole albums cracked out like that. "She's a Rainbow" is kind of their "See Emily Play", without being too blasphemous.

Axver said:
I just don't know why this is making you so mad.

May I ask your opinion on 1920s and 1930s music?

Well now you're being pedantic, I think we all know we're talking about rock from the early to mid 60s to now.

Even then, I'm willing to bet even money I know more music from that period than you, as I was in jazz band and have a heavy appreciation for swing music and early musicals: p

I'm not an era guy anymore, especially as I continue to hear genres I love spread themselves in various forms over several decades. Elitist discussions over which era is "best" put a rift between my father and I that I don't want to duplicate with others, and I don't want that to bleed into this discussion either. As concerned as I am that Vlad could be missing out on 20 years of music because of whatever, etc. I don't want to make him or anyone else feel inferior because they aren't well-versed in the topic. Vlad probably knows loads more about Russian metal than I ever will or care to know.

Which I guess is the kicker. He just doesn't care much to learn about those decades of music. I find that absurd, but he never asked to learn when he made that extremely broad dismissal. If he wishes to remain largely ignorant, that's his call. I don't have to get mad, I just throw a list out there and let him be. And of course, it makes his dismissals that much easier to tune out. :wink:

Well now you're being pedantic, I think we all know we're talking about rock from the early to mid 60s to now.

But why? I wasn't really trying to be pedantic, just making a point that it's perhaps a little hypocritical to get angry about ignorance towards two particular decades when ignorance towards others is perfectly well accepted. Can we fairly castigate somebody for not being interested in the sixties or seventies when practically the entire Western world has decided to ignore pre-sixties music of almost any kind? I have to wonder that in a generation's time, whether the eighties or nineties be some kind of arbitrary cut-off. People generally only look back so far.

Elitist discussions over which era is "best" put a rift between my father and I that I don't want to duplicate with others ... I don't want to make him or anyone else feel inferior because they aren't well-versed in the topic. ... If he wishes to remain largely ignorant, that's his call.

I was totally with you until that third sentence I've quoted, which seems out of place with the rest of the sentiment I've quoted. I suppose a strict definition holds, but I think disinterest doesn't necessarily equal ignorance of the pejorative sort (and it's hard to use the word without pejorative connotations).

Unpopular opinion time:

The Five Ghosts > In Our Bedroom After The War.

Axver said:
I was totally with you until that third sentence I've quoted, which seems out of place with the rest of the sentiment I've quoted. I suppose a strict definition holds, but I think disinterest doesn't necessarily equal ignorance of the pejorative sort (and it's hard to use the word without pejorative connotations).

I didn't mean it in the pejorative sense; disinterest precedes ignorance in this case. But I see what you mean, yeah. "Ignorant" and the wholly derogatory "stupid" are interchangable in most people's eyes.

So Vlad doesn't like 60's and 70's music. I don't know why it matters. He's 15. When I was 15, I wasn't listening to 60's and 70's music. I wasn't interested in it either. Let the kid listen to what he wants to. This is just armchair psychology and you can tell me to cram it up my ass if you want to, but Ash, I can't help thinking that there's more to this than just Vlad expressing an opinion. Your desire to control what he likes and what he listens to tells me that there may be something else in your life that you feel you can't control that could be subconsciously upsetting you. I'm not a doctor, but that's what I see in it. Again, feel free to tell me to cram it if you like.

Which I guess is the kicker. He just doesn't care much to learn about those decades of music. I find that absurd, but he never asked to learn when he made that extremely broad dismissal. If he wishes to remain largely ignorant, that's his call. I don't have to get mad, I just throw a list out there and let him be. And of course, it makes his dismissals that much easier to tune out. :wink:

Pretty much exactly what I'm getting at so pretty much the end of what I have to say.

But why? I wasn't really trying to be pedantic, just making a point that it's perhaps a little hypocritical to get angry about ignorance towards two particular decades when ignorance towards others is perfectly well accepted. Can we fairly castigate somebody for not being interested in the sixties or seventies when practically the entire Western world has decided to ignore pre-sixties music of almost any kind? I have to wonder that in a generation's time, whether the eighties or nineties be some kind of arbitrary cut-off. People generally only look back so far.

Well, to an extent, I think more to the point music before the 60s, early rock aside, fits more into jazz, swing, or TPA, and I don't get the impression that Vlad cares much for those genres.

I actually AM fairly well versed in music from the era, and classical music as well because I'm trained on several instruments and have immersed myself in concert music. The guitar, in the last 60 years has become a more promenint instrument, and the basis for what most people listen to these days and that's what we're talking about.
Unpopular opinion time:

The Five Ghosts > In Our Bedroom After The War.

It's their best album, period, and one of my favorites of all time.
So Vlad doesn't like 60's and 70's music. I don't know why it matters. He's 15. When I was 15, I wasn't listening to 60's and 70's music. I wasn't interested in it either. Let the kid listen to what he wants to. This is just armchair psychology and you can tell me to cram it up my ass if you want to, but Ash, I can't help thinking that there's more to this than just Vlad expressing an opinion. Your desire to control what he likes and what he listens to tells me that there may be something else in your life that you feel you can't control that could be subconsciously upsetting you. I'm not a doctor, but that's what I see in it. Again, feel free to tell me to cram it if you like.

Are you fucking serious? I mean really?

Maybe it's more that I just don't care much for the way Vlad posts, in general. How often he makes overarching statements about MANY MANY topics, and this was an instance in which I really found what he was saying to be ridiculous. Also, I've tried several times to drop the conversation, but it keeps going on and on, and I can either not post in here, try and have a conversation, or ignore what's going on. Except there's currently not much else to talk about.

Well, to an extent, I think more to the point music before the 60s, early rock aside, fits more into jazz, swing, or TPA, and I don't get the impression that Vlad cares much for those genres.

I actually AM fairly well versed in music from the era, and classical music as well because I'm trained on several instruments and have immersed myself in concert music. The guitar, in the last 60 years has become a more promenint instrument, and the basis for what most people listen to these days and that's what we're talking about.

I guess my point is that every decade feeds into each other, and I certainly notice a lot of people - not implying anybody here - take the sixties ahistorically, as if it was not totally influenced by everything that preceded it. Just because it doesn't have guitars shouldn't be a reason for overlooking it ... shouldn't be. But I know it is, because of my own preferences. The guitar is my favourite instrument. Especially when it is distorted, be that a post-rock crescendo, a chugging metal riff, or the beautiful blur of shoegaze. I suppose this is why the further back in time I go musically, the harder it seems to find something I love.

Also, there's something of a personal reason these days as to why I'm so interested in what's happening now. When I'm researching and writing on the past as a job, music is a great way to escape into the present. That's one reason why I'm quite interested in new releases, upcoming concerts, that sort of thing.

I understand what you're saying, completely, Ax. I don't have a problem with what people like. I don't think any of this conversation would have happened if the initial reactions to a lot of the conversation hadn't been so dismissive.

Going to listen to Tago Mago, since we've been talking about psych rock lately. I love Can's other album, so hopefully this will be equally awesome.

Pizza Hut - Gorbachev - YouTube

I forgot how hilarious this was.

I'm 16, but I agree with your post.

Are you fucking serious? I mean really?

Maybe it's more that I just don't care much for the way Vlad posts, in general. How often he makes overarching statements about MANY MANY topics, and this was an instance in which I really found what he was saying to be ridiculous. Also, I've tried several times to drop the conversation, but it keeps going on and on, and I can either not post in here, try and have a conversation, or ignore what's going on. Except there's currently not much else to talk about.

Get the fuck over it.

Going to listen to Tago Mago, since we've been talking about psych rock lately. I love Can's other album, so hopefully this will be equally awesome.

I've never quite got around to Can myself. I think because I'm sort of under the impression it'll be esoteric weirdness that I'll appreciate intellectually but not hurry to hear again.

Listening to Los Cam!pe!sin!os!!!!!11!1's new album now. Amon Duul II will be next.

I never should've bloody mentioned my little pre-sixties listening spree yesterday! Really didn't want to see everybody start arguing, I just wanted to talk music. :reject:

I've never quite got around to Can myself. I think because I'm sort of under the impression it'll be esoteric weirdness that I'll appreciate intellectually but not hurry to hear again.

Listening to Los Cam!pe!sin!os!!!!!11!1's new album now. Amon Duul II will be next.

I listened to their other album (can't think of the name right now, and I know that it's definitely not English whatever it is) that night I was listening to the druggiest music on my various musical decade lists, remember? It definitely fit the vibe and was awesome, but no, I haven't managed to get back to it yet. The thing is that Tago Mago is rated pretty damn high, and it was the first thing I saw on RYM's Psych Rock list that I figured would be a good listen, so I'm spinning it.

After that, I heard some random new wave song on the radio on the way to pick my brother up to stay the night (the reason why I now have a laptop :evil: ) and I'm probably going to listen to the album it was on for the hell of it.

As for Los Camp, hope you like it, I did, but it's NOT their best.

I never should've bloody mentioned my little pre-sixties listening spree yesterday! Really didn't want to see everybody start arguing, I just wanted to talk music. :reject:

I have no problem talking music, and I'm glad you brought it up BECAUSE I meant to get around to talking more with you about this and never got a chance. The thing is, I went looking throug the top 100 singles on RYM for each of those decades and was shocked my how much I know and love actually. Most of it's a lot of stuff I played in Jazz Band in high school, so that was fun from that perspective.

I don't know what interest, if any, you have in swing, but holy shit that's one of the funnest genres in existence.

Then you have CLASSIC classic rock, which, when I'm in the mood for it, I just can't get enough of.

This is legitimately one of my absolute favorite songs, though it is from 1961, still in that "pre-rock" period though, imo:

The Wanderer-Dion And Belmonts - YouTube

I listened to their other album (can't think of the name right now, and I know that it's definitely not English whatever it is) that night I was listening to the druggiest music on my various musical decade lists, remember? It definitely fit the vibe and was awesome, but no, I haven't managed to get back to it yet. The thing is that Tago Mago is rated pretty damn high, and it was the first thing I saw on RYM's Psych Rock list that I figured would be a good listen, so I'm spinning it.

After that, I heard some random new wave song on the radio on the way to pick my brother up to stay the night (the reason why I now have a laptop :evil: ) and I'm probably going to listen to the album it was on for the hell of it.

As for Los Camp, hope you like it, I did, but it's NOT their best.

Let me know how Tago Mago goes. Though right now I'm definitely most keen on finding more stuff I'll get good replay value out of, rather than stuff that may be an interesting experiment but won't go into regular rotation. I kind of prefer to experience that sort of thing in concert.

Los Campesinos album is going well so far, but then I wasn't as crazy about Romance Is Boring as some people here. I gave it a 3.5/5 and I suspect this album will get the same if the first five songs are representative.

Let me know how Tago Mago goes. Though right now I'm definitely most keen on finding more stuff I'll get good replay value out of, rather than stuff that may be an interesting experiment but won't go into regular rotation. I kind of prefer to experience that sort of thing in concert.

Los Campesinos album is going well so far, but then I wasn't as crazy about Romance Is Boring as some people here. I gave it a 3.5/5 and I suspect this album will get the same if the first five songs are representative.

I really think it's great fun. This and the other album are the kind of things, were I still in college, I'd definitely put on to study to. So fucking chill, so fun.

I suspect the reason I like this album and Romance is Boring so much is that I don't quite have the history with Los Camp that a lot of people have. I wasn't there for the first two albums, and wasn't blown away by them, so I'm not always going into their albums expecting huge things, you know?

Though I did stay up until 9:00 AM just to hear the leak of the new one this morning :crack:

I have no problem talking music, and I'm glad you brought it up BECAUSE I meant to get around to talking more with you about this and never got a chance. The thing is, I went looking throug the top 100 singles on RYM for each of those decades and was shocked my how much I know and love actually. Most of it's a lot of stuff I played in Jazz Band in high school, so that was fun from that perspective.

I don't know what interest, if any, you have in swing, but holy shit that's one of the funnest genres in existence.

Then you have CLASSIC classic rock, which, when I'm in the mood for it, I just can't get enough of.

This is legitimately one of my absolute favorite songs, though it is from 1961, still in that "pre-rock" period though, imo:

The Wanderer-Dion And Belmonts - YouTube

The motivation behind actually checking out the stuff I did yesterday is that in general I'm hopelessly uninformed about pre-sixties stuff. I've never explored jazz or the blues, let alone any of the other genres from the period that have fallen even more by the wayside. I'll admit that when I listened to a few ragtime tracks, I had a hard time separating it from a cartoon car chase or whatever. :uhoh:

I'm waiting for something to really get my attention but it hasn't happened yet, besides The Shadows and Link Wray. Well, there was one track, Guitar Boogie by Arthur Smith from ... 1946?, that I enjoyed and it hinted overtly towards what The Shadows would go on and do. But that's still all in my guitar comfort zone.

Ha, I recognise that Dion song quite well. It's painfully catchy and not too bad actually, but not something I'd want to play regularly. Inevitable gag: U2's Wanderer is better. :wink:

Psh, The Edge recognized it's superiority when he snippeted it during the U2 performance of "The Wanderer" :p.

I totally get you about jazz and the blues. I've been VERY slow in exploring further, but I'm really, REALLY digging what I'm hearing as well.

Ragtime is silly but SO fun in person.

You know, I've actually never heard anything by The Shadows. Insane, knowing you as long as I have.

I really think it's great fun. This and the other album are the kind of things, were I still in college, I'd definitely put on to study to. So fucking chill, so fun.

I suspect the reason I like this album and Romance is Boring so much is that I don't quite have the history with Los Camp that a lot of people have. I wasn't there for the first two albums, and wasn't blown away by them, so I'm not always going into their albums expecting huge things, you know?

Though I did stay up until 9:00 AM just to hear the leak of the new one this morning :crack:

I must admit, "chill" is one word I'd never associate with LC!

And yeah, I similarly don't have that history, mainly because I put off listening to them due to the stupid band name (or punctuation) and the excessive hyperbole from certain people on this forum. Found I quite enjoyed Romance Is Boring once I got around to it, and this new album is shaping up just as well. Interjecting that Dion track into the middle was a bit of a funny juxtaposition though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom