Chicago Tourist Advice? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:54 AM
Chicago Tourist Advice?

Coming up in three weeks, I'm going to be in Chicago with my boyfriend for a little vacation - neither of us have ever been to the windy city and although there is a ton of tourism paraphernalia out there, I was thinking maybe some of my fellow interferencers might have some good advice for things to do and/or see while we're playing tourist.

any advice from locals or other people who've visited Chicago and had good or bad experiences to share that will help us decide what to try would be very welcome!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:54 PM
I always enjoyed the museums, planetarium and aquarium.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:54 AM
Chicago office of tourism

The walking tours are cool. There is alot of great architecture.

If you have a car you can go to Oak Park where Frank Lloyd Wright lived, lots of the buildings he designed are there.

I like the Navy Pier, Aquarium, Museum of Natural History and Science and Industry

My favorite is Wrigley Field!!!

Hope this helps!
Old 08-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

I suppose I should have mentioned that we'll be spending two days in Dearborn (Detroit) at the Henry Ford Museum later that week, so I don't think we'll be doing any of the Chicago museums (being a Michigan Native, I'm a bit prejudiced about this subject )
Gav, being British isn't much interested in Baseball, but I'd love to see Wrigley field and one reason Gav wants to see Chicago is becasue he's into the roaring 20's and Al Capone and all of that.

definitely will be checking into the other stuff you've mentioned, thanks and keep it coming
Old 08-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
I Serve Larry's Stick

http://www.notfortourists.com/cityMain.aspx?city=CH

This should help. I'm not native to Chicago and I'm actually just figuring it out myself, but I think this will probably tell you everything and then some. What area will you be staying in when you come?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #6
New Yorker

OOh I want to go to Chicago so bad. My friend just moved to Evanston, so he is super-close and I am going to visit him the next chance I get. He lives right on the lake, so there's always that. I don't know what all that entails, but I'm sure there are some fun things alongside the Lake that you can do ... like shopping and restaurants. There's always Michigan Avenue if you're a big spender.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:54 PM
You chose the right place to take a vacation

If you like museums, theres a lot of em..Science and Industry, Shed Aquarium, Planeteriam, etc..

Def check out Michigan ave because even if you ain't gonna buy, theres a lot of stuff to just even check out..

And take a walk down the beach, very nice
Old 08-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #8
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Hmmm, there's really not much in the way of Capone/gangster stuff for tourists. The Chicago History Museum has a few displays on it, and there's a company called 'Untouchable Tours' that does cheesy, bus-around-in-period-dress-pointing-at-buildings-type tours, and a cheesy dinner theatre/musical revue thing called Tommy Gun's Garage meant to simulate the atmosphere of a speakeasy, but that's about it I think. The tourism scene is really more geared towards architecture, shopping and museums.

There's a lot of good comedy shows and theater in Chicago for very reasonable prices if you're into that kind of thing; TimeOut Chicago usually has good up-to-date listings.

IMO, unless you really loathe museums it's a shame to miss the Art Institute, it really is one of the country's great art museums.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 08-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

IMO, unless you really loathe museums it's a shame to miss the Art Institute, it really is one of the country's great art museums.

Like Clarityat3am, I'm still trying to figure out the city, too...been here 3 months or so.....but, the above comment is definitely true, it's a great great museum.....

I think places like Navy Pier are overrated.

Heading out to Oak Park is a good idea, if you like architecture/Wright. You can get there via mass transit, if you have no car. As a few have said, can't go wrong strolling up and down Michigan Ave.

Tons of theater, comedy clubs, LOTS of live music, restaurants, etc. You'll love it.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

It looks like we'll be staying in the Michigan Ave are near Navy Pier - sounds like just the right place to be for the vacation we're looking for
Old 08-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #11
I Serve Larry's Stick

Lately I've been figuring out the L and where all the music venues are. I finally found good music here.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Hmmm, there's really not much in the way of Capone/gangster stuff for tourists. The Chicago History Museum has a few displays on it, and there's a company called 'Untouchable Tours' that does cheesy, bus-around-in-period-dress-pointing-at-buildings-type tours, and a cheesy dinner theatre/musical revue thing called Tommy Gun's Garage meant to simulate the atmosphere of a speakeasy, but that's about it I think. The tourism scene is really more geared towards architecture, shopping and museums.

There's a lot of good comedy shows and theater in Chicago for very reasonable prices if you're into that kind of thing; TimeOut Chicago usually has good up-to-date listings.

Gav's visited the Louvre more than once, so I suppose he's interested in Art enough that he might enjoy that - but we're both already anxious to see the 'Rock Stars' Cars & Guitars Exhibit' at the Henry Ford museum in Detroit - I'll have to see how he feels about hitting multiple museums on his vacation

we're actually planning on going to tommy guns garage

and we're not big shoppers but I'm sure we can have fun being judged by the salespeople
Old 08-11-2007, 11:35 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by clarityat3am
Lately I've been figuring out the L and where all the music venues are. I finally found good music here.

I've got the mass transit down cold, that was the easy part. Now, yeah, trying to find all the great little music venues. Have been to a few big shows, but not enough smaller ones. Fun, though, exploring a new area.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:35 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Is the House of Blues worth visiting?

or is there a particularly good place for live music we should check out?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #15
I Serve Larry's Stick

I've been to several nice smaller venues that are attached to bars. Depends on when you're here and what you like, but I could probably find a show for you. I'm not all too good at it yet, and it would probably be more of a concert than some casual listening. Let me know.

Sad_Girl or No spoken words, drop me a line if you want at clarityat3am at gmail dot com.