Charlie Wilson's War

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
Anyone else looking forward to this? They really have the power hitters out for this one.

Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Aaron Sorkin, Mike Nichols, etc.

I'm hoping to see this when it comes out Friday, can't wait :hyper:

corianderstem said:
Early reviews are very good:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/charlie_wilsons_war/

I'll probably go and see it. I think the trailer makes it look kind of crummy, but based on the strength of early reviews, and the fact that it'll be playing at my local theater (which has the best popcorn in town), I'll probably go. :winK:

The trailers seem like they're painting a linear view of what sounds like a multi-faceted story. I'd like to see this, too, but probably not in theaters.

I want to see it. So many Christmas movies I want to see but between the weather and other factors who knows if I'll see any.

Amy Adams is in it too. And I love Tom Hanks.

I saw it today and absolutely loved it. Then again if it involves sex, politics, and Tom Hanks I'm bound to love it.

Let me preface this by saying I have never liked Julia Roberts, I don't know why, but she just rubs me the wrong way and something about her irritates me :shrug:

Anyway, the movie was great. If you liked West Wing, you're going to love this movie. Tom Hanks does a spectacular job as usual (I'd be his congressional aide any day :sexywink: ), and so does Philip Seymour Hoffman. Whenever the two of them are interacting, it's flawless.

Julia Roberts as usual annoys me, but her character is meant to be that way and my parents who are non-biased towards her thought she did an excellent job as well.

I have my favorite scenes and lines, but I'll save those until more people have seen the movie. Just briefly: "That's a thick door!" and the visit to a refugee camp are two (VERY different) parts that will really jump out.

I'll say this: It lived up to my expectations, but did not exceed them (though my expectations were already high). I doubt you will be disappointed. :up::up:

Thanks for the review, U2Dem! I was hesitant to see it because it honestly looks really awful in the promos and I don't like Tom Hanks as much as most people. But maybe it's worth catching....

I don't think I'd heard that Sorkin wrote it.

If I've always found Sorkin a little annoying*, should I even bother?

*seriously, all the online drooling for the West Wing and Sports Night just ended up rubbing me the wrong way, because I never cared for either show and couldn't stand how over-praised Sorkin is. It's a thing. I realize it's my weird issue. :wink:

I liked these film alot. Tom Hanks is great as usual. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is also great.

The History Channel did a show on this, and I saw a few minutes of it. I really want to see it now! Before I thought it would be boring and dull, but it looks interesting.

Pearl said:
The History Channel did a show on this, and I saw a few minutes of it. I really want to see it now! Before I thought it would be boring and dull, but it looks interesting.

Yeah I watched last night it was called "The Real Charlie Wilson" or something like that, the movie stayed 100% true to the real events.

hey, ol' sour puss is back

this movie got a good review from public radio

and I did catch some bits and pieces on the history channel last night (i did tivo -it)

so I do want to see it
I guess my first reaction was because
I am so conflicted with the whole Afghanistan mess

I not sure I see this guy as a hero
for setting up an environment that let to 9-11

Fuck Tom Hanks, but <3 Aaron Sorkin and his steady-cam TV warm goodness.

I'll see it because Sorkin is involved in it.

:down: :down: I saw this today and HATED it!

I honestly don't understand the hype about this movie. I saw it today and just wanted to take a nap through most of it. Granted, I hate Tom Hanks with a passion but I still generally see most of his movies as my family adores him. I usually end up enjoying the movie he's in but generally he's the last actor on earth I want to see. I didn't think this movie was anything spectacular at all.

I was completley lost on Julia Roberts' character from the very start. They lost me a few times during this movie. Unless you know about the subject matter before you see it, then it just doesn't make much sense. I felt like the writers of this film assumed you knew everything.

Awful, awful, awful. :barf:

My mom said this movie is up for awards for film of the year. Is that true? If so then I'm glad I didn't waste any money going to movies this year if this is as good as it got in 2007.

Go read about the cold war on wikipedia or something. The movie assumes you have some basic knowledge about it, which most people do.

Right, it was written with the assumption that those who would go to see it would have some basic knowledge of events in the Cold War :shrug:

Having an understanding of world events is crucial to enjoy this film.

I will agree with you that maybe I should have done my homework before I left the house today. I go to school full time and work 2 jobs so I have little time for anything, including even reading up on a movie review for something I'm about to see. Christmas day is movie day in my family. The only thing I knew about the movie I was going to today was that Tom Hanks was in it. I didn't even know the title of the movie until we got to the theater. So my fault I guess. I still don't think I would have thought it was a spectacular movie in terms of acting even if I would have read up on it before. :shrug:

I saw the movie tonight, and I thought it was pretty good. I had an understanding of the Cold War and the USSR invading Afghanistan and all, so I was able to follow it. There were some funny lines in it. I don't think Julia Roberts should've been billed second to Tom Hanks when she wasn't in the movie much. Yes, she is super famous, and her character played a big role in the film, but still.
Anyway, I thought it was pretty good.

8 out of 10

Saw this movie, and it lost my interest on and off throughout the film so I Felt it was too long. I have little knowledge of the Cold War so if I knew more I probably would have gotten more of this film. I give it a 6 out of 10. Too bad Julia Roberts didn't have more screen time in the movie, I like her and she usually chooses great roles to play. This one......meh.

Back
Top Bottom