chalk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
why do we still use chalk?

1. it is messy
  2. it is difficult to write with
  3. it is difficult to clean off the board
  4. it necessitates black boards, which make that horrid screeching noise
  5. chalkdust
    [/list=1]

i guess its cheap. but that noise. its so annoying.

i just talked to a real class for the first time today at my university. i talked for about an hour-the whole time holding chalk. my black pants are now all chalky.

i cant help but think how much better my pants would look if we used white boards and erasable markers(like a focus group determining the color of your next toaster) instead of black board and chalk.

Good question. There's nothing worse then leaning up against a black board. Your ass is covered with chalk and you don't even know it. :angry:

New classrooms should only have white boards.

whiteboard pens arent environmentally friendly.

Though I think you'll find there are a lot less blackboards in use these days. Teachers/Lecturers seem to be using more OHP, whiteboard, data projectors etc :)

I'd like to add that OHPs are the worst thing to have to stare at for an hour.

My political science instructor I had a couple years ago always went nuts with chalk. He had a real passion for government, and he would break all of the chalk because he'd be writing too fast and excitedly, and there would be dust all over the place. LOL

I like chalk. I like the dust. I even like saying chalk. Chalk, chalk, chalk, chalk, chalk, chalk, chalk, chalk. So there.

But, if it weren't for chalk...what would kids eat?!

I think everyone ate chalk sometime in their lives...I did!

White erase boards are really nice- their are so many different colors...

Chalk...it may be messy, and eating it might not look too nice(esp. colored chalk)! But, to extinct chalk is absolutly out of the question. Yeah, lets get rid of all the black boards in classrooms and replace them with white erase boards!

Sidewalk chalk is sometimes fun to play with...at least thats what my 2nd graders thought this summer!!

Last edited:
Indigo said:
But, if it weren't for chalk...what would kids eat?!

I think everyone ate chalk sometime in their lives...I did!
I did never eat chalk. :|

However, chalk is cool. It's funny seeing teachers having problems with writing with chalk on a wet black board! :lmao:

madonna's child said:
Good question. There's nothing worse then leaning up against a black board. Your ass is covered with chalk and you don't even know it. :angry:
what sort of classes do you take?

im posting from a computer with a real low resolution monitor

it is obvious none of you care about the pants.

The act of using chalk is inherently good because you can feel something tangible being transfered from your hand onto the board. It is a sensory experience.

I also like the smell.

I care abotu the pants!!!!
I have a love/hate rship with chalk and its somehting high on my gripes list because i use it everyday.
It gets all over EVERYTHING, chalk dust falls all over books, the floor, into the cd player, up your nose, kids blow it across the room, in your hair, it breaks mid sentence and flies across the room, kids scratch their fingers down it, they drive u nuts asking you if they can draw on the board when its a rainy day, it gets all over the carpet, the cleaners never clean the board rail when they are supposed to every single day, and the kids also think its hilarious when youve leant on the blackboard to then have it all over your butt and they think they are soooo funny telling you so.
THE WORST PART IS THAT IT MAKES MY HANDS DRY AND IM SICK OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scream: :scream:
I now get so frustrated I hold it with a tissue.

However...the colours and pretty and it does brighten up a classroom. :|

Re: im posting from a computer with a real low resolution monitor

kobayashi said:
it is obvious none of you care about the pants.

The FIRST thing I thought of when you posted this was your poor poor poor pants had to suffer. :lol:

For the record it think I remember tasting chalk when I was smaller but I can not recall when. Knowing me I am sure I did it.

I actually first saw white boards when I was in Mil school in Japan. It was a brand new school and they had all new stuff and that was a new thing then. This was over 10 years ago. I never went to a nicer school. It had hints of a Japanese school type feel to it. Japanese contractors built it of course so that would make sense. I think what I remember most is the class bell was not a bell you would hear in American schools it was like the Japanese. It is hard to explain it. *sigh* memory lane. Anyway. The point is that white boards are nostalgic for me.

If u cant find a Rennie eat some chalk! :wink:

None of the classrooms in my school have blackboards now

I hate those boards you can turn round and round and when the teacher writes on it there is one side thats all soft and u cant see the writing - they ditched those :yes:

Most of my professors adore chalkboards...in the last year or so, they started ripping them out of our classrooms and replacing them with white marker boards. They do tend to leave one chalkboard, but it will be in the worst spot in the room.

The problem? They *never* stock the marker boards with markers! The professors are supposed to carry markers around with them, only no one told the professors, so they'll be talking and turn around to write something...and can't. No one really knows why there's no markers. I think the college is just cutting corners.

The bad thing about marker boards is when you are writing alot of stuff, the fumes will get to you. One professor at a different school actually got sick from them.

I personally like chalkboards, although I will say that it is really hard to read them after they've been covered in chalkdust....but no harder than trying to read a markerboard after the marker they were writing with died!!

Elisabeth

I think chalk is more convenient... My math teacher last year hates whiteboard with a passion. Maybe that's because he couldn't draw those beautiful diagrams on the whiteboard. (he can draw the diagrams much more beautiful than those on the text book... but not on the whiteboard)

Manda, why don't you use those chalk holder ==>
2080.gif

a lot of my teachers are using them and i think they're quite good... Easier to write and you won't get your hands dry and chalky. Whoever invented this must be very smart.
icon14.gif

the thought of chalk makes me want to freak out. i cannot explain it.

i am devastated about the pants.

:slant:

i'm not sure but i think those might be the most unattractive pair of pants i've ever seen. they actually make me sad. :slant:

ohmycat. are you saying those are actually your pants? i thought you were being silly. :silent:

:sad:

*sends kobe pants the were made sometime in the last decade

:macdevil:

the pressed pants of kobe.

Screaming Flower said:
ohmycat. are you saying those are actually your pants? i thought you were being silly. :silent:

:sad:

*sends kobe pants the were made sometime in the last decade

:macdevil:

no no. the silliness continues. those are not my pants:no:

i will admit to, in the early nineties owning and wearing a pair of zubaz buffalo bills pants

zubaz01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom