Centralia, PA Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
Beds Are Burning and Forgotten Years are sending now.

I think I'll follow them up with The Dead Heart, Short Memory, and Put Down That Weapon.

What about King of the Mountain, Best Of Both Worlds, Dreamworld, Sometimes, Power & the Passion, Read About It, Hercules ...

Damn, where's my ipod! I may have to get up off my arse!

I actually don't have Best Of Both Worlds. The others are all quality though.

Lila64 said:

Let me know what you think. I can't believe Ax has a totally opposite opinion of this song than I do :shrug:

Varitek - are you anywhere near DC? I have to pack Maddy for cold weather. She leaves on her trip Thursday evening.

i'm in pa. it's been 40s. it's raining now. probably weather.com knows more than me.

what is it a class trip? where are you guys from?

Varitek said:

yourwildhorses @ gmail

thanks to both of you!

Sent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd_diPTrjpI :drool:

Maddy is going on the 8th grade "field trip" to DC for 5 days. I can't go, unfortunately. We're in S.Calif. I've been following weather.com all week. I was just checking with actual humans living on the east coast. :nerd: She's never been, and I'm trying to make sure she'll be warm enough. We're not used to things like weather :happy:

Lila64 said:

Sent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd_diPTrjpI :drool:

Maddy is going on the 8th grade "field trip" to DC for 5 days. I can't go, unfortunately. We're in S.Calif. I've been following weather.com all week. I was just checking with actual humans living on the east coast. :nerd: She's never been, and I'm trying to make sure she'll be warm enough. We're not used to things like weather :happy:

oooh i like their sound!

haha i was just talking today to one of my best friends from socal about her class trip to the east coast. i guess it's a west coast tradition?

i'd seen dc because of grandparents, (i'm from boston) but my jewish sunday school did a ny trip for jewish stuff, my jewish camp did a dc trip but they do a different location for each year, and my facing history class in 11th grade did a dc trip (with financial aid so everyone could go). but there was no big long multiple night class trip ever. i guess my sister's private school does a class retreta at the beginning of each year.

oh and for packing, i'd say layers. tshirts and sweaters. it can be warm inside. and jeans, and long (not ankle) socks. obviously sneakers for walking around. if she has to dress up, send her with pantyhose, they do wonders in cold air.

I've heard this is an annual "event" for 8th graders across the U.S. They didn't have this going on "in my day" (Yes, I'm old, get over it :wink: ) Not that my mom would have even considered it. But there's about 80 or so kids going from/thru her school. Sounds like a non-stop trip of seeing the monuments and such. They are scheduled for the Holocaust Museum as well. I hope everyone learns a lot from this. Maddy was very interested in going, knowing that some of her ancestors did not survive the concentration camps. It should be an interesting learning experience :up:

Varitek said:
oh and for packing, i'd say layers. tshirts and sweaters. it can be warm inside. and jeans, and long (not ankle) socks. obviously sneakers for walking around. if she has to dress up, send her with pantyhose, they do wonders in cold air.

She doesn't have long socks or thermal underwear, or anything to wear under pants. She has some shirts./sweaters for layering & a jacket. No dressing up at all. She will be bring sneakers and her new Ugg-type boots.

And yes, Beds Are Burning was a big hit here in the U.S. for the band. I saw them many times live. Incredible!!! :bow:
We saw them in October of 2001, about a month after 9/11. We knew it would be even more moving than normal; they were very political in their day. They played the HOB in Hollywood, which holds about 1000 people. Came back in March 2002 to the same club. Just awesome. So much power, energy... Their drummer... Oh man. I have to stop drooling on myself now :tongue:

Alright, sending The Dead Heart and Blue Sky Mine to Vazza and Ian.

Lila64 said:
I've heard this is an annual "event" for 8th graders across the U.S. They didn't have this going on "in my day" (Yes, I'm old, get over it :wink: ) Not that my mom would have even considered it. But there's about 80 or so kids going from/thru her school. Sounds like a non-stop trip of seeing the monuments and such. They are scheduled for the Holocaust Museum as well. I hope everyone learns a lot from this. Maddy was very interested in going, knowing that some of her ancestors did not survive the concentration camps. It should be an interesting learning experience :up:

only the non-east-coast ones. or at least, not for the northeast so far as i know.

god i cannot imagine chaperoning a bunch of 8th graders at a hotel and throuhg a city. HELL.

the Holocaust Museum is amazing. I think it's much better done than the one in Israel. The problem is, most trips don't schedule enough time. I went with my family first, we spent like 5 hours there. when I went with class it was like 2.5 hours, and I used up some of the time on stuff I remembered missing. THere's weeks of video in there, but even if you just sample it, if you want to read all the exhibits it's like 4 hours or more.

If she has choices about which museums to go to, the Spy Museum is really cool. I've never been to natural history or air and space but the National Gallery is one of the finest art collections in the world.

In 11th grade we had fun with the escalators. Our hotel was near a subway station with the 2nd longest escalator in the city, like 3 stories (the subway is relatively new, well, by our standards, I guess ancient by california standards) and we tried to run up the down one, 5 of us (juniors and seniors). 3 made it. I was one of 2 failures. People cheered us on and stuff, it was fun. I dunno if she'll have that much freedom though, 8th grade is not upperclassmen in high school.

Lila64 said:
This isn't a field trip per se. I don't know what you call it. It's costing me a fortune though :happy:

Oils - My Country: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyeTuoWCqUE&feature=related
(I'm not watching these, just listening)

My friend said it was about $1000 but that woulda been like 8 years ago. airfare's shot up.

the class trip did amtrak, it was super fun. the other years they did buses, which i guess were cheaper, but we got lucky, cause running around on the train is way better than being cooped up on a bus. at one point we took a picture of us with 10 in a seat. (well pair of seats)

Lila64 said:

She doesn't have long socks or thermal underwear, or anything to wear under pants. She has some shirts./sweaters for layering & a jacket. No dressing up at all. She will be bring sneakers and her new Ugg-type boots.

And yes, Beds Are Burning was a big hit here in the U.S. for the band. I saw them many times live. Incredible!!! :bow:
We saw them in October of 2001, about a month after 9/11. We knew it would be even more moving than normal; they were very political in their day. They played the HOB in Hollywood, which holds about 1000 people. Came back in March 2002 to the same club. Just awesome. So much power, energy... Their drummer... Oh man. I have to stop drooling on myself now :tongue:

uggs should keep her ankles warm. she shouldn't need long underwear!

I don't like our country as much.

coolian2 said:
And our major field trips were to dodgy places up north or Rotovegas

My geography class went to the Great Barrier Reef but I couldn't go; the risk of being sunburnt was too high. :|

But I got to go on all the excursions to fuuuun places like the GINGER FACTORY! :happy:

I know their is a Capitol Tour, Bureau of Engraving & Printing, The Holocaust Museum (looks like a couple of hours scheduled for it), Smithsonian, yes I see the Spy Museum on the schedule, Arlington, Gettysburg, the memorials,... Lots planned for the amount of time they will be there. No freedom, nor should they have any. They are 13-14 year olds. I don't envy the chaperones one bit.

I think there is a Holocaust Museum or something to that affect in West Los Angeles. If she's interested, we can take her there on our own time.

Axver said:

My geography class went to the Great Barrier Reef but I couldn't go; the risk of being sunburnt was too high. :|

But I got to go on all the excursions to fuuuun places like the GINGER FACTORY! :happy:

my god i wanna go to the great barrier reef.

our other class trips were let's see, apple picking, sturbridge village (fake 1700s village ), some people did plymouth plantation or some place with ships or something. i went to a suepr ghetto middle school that got "get the poor urban kids to nature" grants and did a week at farm school (saw a calf born! cut down a tree! ate pig skin!) and a half-week at outward bound (i fucking love alpine tower climbinb). then in high school i was part of GSA and outward bound had a weekend for state GSA kids. more alpine tower!

One of the greatest moments in Australian music history has to be when the Oils played Beds Are Burning at the Closing Ceremony of the 2000 Sydney Olympics with "sorry" written on their clothes as a direct "fuck you" to John Howard for not issuing a National Apology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLxOq5SNLIg

I've already said it, but it was so awesomely fitting to see Garrett as a government minister sitting behind Rudd when the National Apology finally was given earlier this year.

Lila64 said:
I know their is a Capitol Tour, Bureau of Engraving & Printing, The Holocaust Museum (looks like a couple of hours scheduled for it), Smithsonian, yes I see the Spy Museum on the schedule, Arlington, Gettysburg, the memorials,... Lots planned for the amount of time they will be there. No freedom, nor should they have any. They are 13-14 year olds. I don't envy the chaperones one bit.

I think there is a Holocaust Museum or something to that affect in West Los Angeles. If she's interested, we can take her there on our own time.

gettysburg PA?? or is there a monument in dc??

never been to arlington national, tho my grandparents live in arlington. the memorials are all pretty great. also there is great potential for funny pics iwth the monument. the mall is fun, before my hard drive killed my pics i had a pic of me on the mall holding a pigeon.

never done a capital tour but i've lobbied in the senate and house buildings freshman year. in 11th grade we did a white house tour, it was rather boring actually.

what aobut whatsitcalled, george washington's estate? that was fun, went with the family.

ok shower really.

And I'm sending more Oils to Ian and Vazza; Short Memory and US Forces this time around.

Axver said:
One of the greatest moments in Australian music history has to be when the Oils played Beds Are Burning at the Closing Ceremony of the 2000 Sydney Olympics with "sorry" written on their clothes as a direct "fuck you" to John Howard for not issuing a National Apology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLxOq5SNLIg

I've already said it, but it was so awesomely fitting to see Garrett as a government minister sitting behind Rudd when the National Apology finally was given earlier this year.

ooh i remember that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom