Celtic Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Since St Patrick's Day is this Saturday, I thought it would be a good time to bring up Celtic music. Not just traditional Celtic music, but also modern, such as Clannad, Enya and the Corrs.

Anyone have any favorite Celtic artists and/or songs?

Here's my list:

Rebel Heart - The Corrs
Newgrange - Clannad
Whirl Y-Reel - Afro Celt Sound System
Erin Shore - Loreena McKennitt
Lift the Wings - from Riverdance
Seed - Afro Celt Sound System
An Coinleach Ghlas Fhomair - Clannad
Si Do Mhaimeo - Celtic Woman
Geantrai - Meav ni Mhaolchatha
Black is the Color - The Corrs
Paddy's Lament - Sinead O'Connor

I have so many others; I could go on forever, but those are my most favorites (at the time being).

Glad to see Loreena Mckennitt in your list. She has been going a little more towards new-agey with her newer releases but her early stuff is gold.

Her first and second albums; Elemental and Parallel Dreams were both excellent.

Oh and don't forget about The Chieftains, you can't have an Irish music collection without a bit of Chieftains...

I don't know if they're even around anymore, but I used to like Black 47. And Hothouse Flowers

I love the Chieftains. And I have heard so much traditional Irish music thanks to my mother's obsession with it- Makem and Clancy and all that stuff.

originally posted by dsmith2904

Definitely The Pogues, The Cranberries, The Corrs, Ashley MacIsaac, The Chieftans and Sinead O'Connor.

Ashley MacIsaac is someone I discovered recently. I really like his stuff.

The Cranberries, the Cheiftains :up:

Celtic, as in style or where the band's from? :huh: I love Hothouse Flowers,:drool: but i would say their music is more world fusion these days.

Oh I don't understand the Corrs love, they're just the Nolans for a new generation, IMMHO :madspit:

:D

The Chieftains
Niamh Parsons
Luke Kelly
Karan Casey
The Dubliners
Cherish the ladies

and definitely the Pogues :up: :up:

as for specific songs

Van Morrison has recorded a few Celtic songs; I love his rendition of Carrickfergus. Also he recorded Irish Heartbeat :up:

The Chieftains and Sting : Mo Ghile Mear

Sinead Oconnor : the Foggy Dew, Skibbereen

The Dubliners : Fields of Athenry

Niamh Parsons : An Paistin Fionn, The Briar and the Rose

and in general : Finnegan's Wake, Rocky road to Dublin, Raglan Road, May Morning Dew...

I could go on and on :blahblah:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom