Cell phone spam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurel Hill

The Fly
Just today I started getting spam text messages on my cell phone. Is this a scam? Is this common? How do you stop it? I have to pay 5 cents per text and I don't want them! Help!

Yes it happens - alot.

You shouldn't be paying to receive text messages, just sending.

Also, ask your wireless provider what kind of spam filters they use. They have just as much interest in keeping their networks free from excess usage.

Thanks! I'll call them now and see what happens!

I am kind of worried it may have been them who sold my number to the spammers, because the others in my family who are on my account are getting almost the same spam at almost the same time:sigh:

No, these are bots that send spam out to a whole series of numbers.

Wireless phone numbers often use common exchange numbers - all assigned to the same carrier.

All my old Nextel wireless phones used "283" as the exchange.

Its not too hard to set up a program to send messages to a series of phone numbers using a common exchange.

Yeah I just called my provider, and the guy told me there was an outbreak of it in my area code. He said it was Georgia last week and us this week. They said they were 'working on it' and would refund the money once the bill came if you called. But how can I prove how much was spam?

I've received a couple here and there. You dont get charged to receive text messages.

Oh, I didn't know that, I hope mine doesn't charge.

They stopped today, I guess they fixed it. Hope it doesn't happen again.

Sicy said:
I've received a couple here and there. You dont get charged to receive text messages.

It will depend on the provider. I know that at least some cell providers, such as Cingular, charge for incoming text messages. Personally, I think that charging for incoming text messages is nothing more than corporate greed.

Melon

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Right now I am dealing with telemarketers calling my cellphone.

While there's no specific law currently addressing cell phone spam, the law is very clear about telemarketing cell phones. It's blatantly illegal.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom